Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2021, 02:54:39 PM
No one is denying lost it, he literally pissed it all away and probably predisposed with addiction, as his mum was also suffering with the same addiction, but his talent at the time is and was as good as those around him, league titles and European Cup is evidence of that, his performances in the big games was there to se, no bit part roles, Law, and Charlton for me were better professionals and Charlton over all probably shaded it, but the footage and maybe nostalgia of him back in the day with the ball at his feet left lasting memories.

Not having an international career of sorts didn't help the worldwide view of him, whereas the Pele's of that time soaked up a lot of fame. (and rightly so)

Matt Busby's retirement and the hounding of the press and pressure of the times played a huge role in his demise, had he moved to a different county he could have had that longevity that the top players deserve. But can you imagine the hype you had to deal with at aged 23/24 years old?

Of course. He was one of the first celebrity sportsmen and there was no guidebook for himself or his management to refer to. I'm not judging him morally or anything. And I agree the national team issue is certainly an important aspect of his relative lack of acclaim. Pele burst onto the scene as a 17 year old kid at the World Cup and peaked in Mexico 12 years later as the greatest player in arguably the greatest ever football team. Maradonna single-handedly won one world cup and almost a second. Whereas Best came from a small country (football terms) which, at the time, was in the early stages of a brutal conflict.

Had Best been English, who knows where he would rank today given the strength of the England team when he was in his early 20s pomp.

BennyCake

Enid Blyton has been cancelled now.

No more Famous Five for me. Ffs.

Armagh18

Quote from: BennyCake on June 18, 2021, 10:11:20 AM

What's she done?

thebigfella

Surely the orange order are next on the list to be cancelled?

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 18, 2021, 10:21:20 AM

What's she done?

She went and wrote the Magnificent seven as well according to GB News..

BennyCake

What's she done?

Apparently her books are racist and xenophobic  ::)

thebigfella

Quote from: BennyCake on June 18, 2021, 10:45:58 AM

What's she done?

Apparently her books are racist and xenophobic  ::)

Some of her work is dubious enough but this hardly new news.

Capt Pat

Neil Francis sacked by the indo for saying Lion Marcus Smith had a David Beckham haircut. He also complimented him on having an oompa loompa tan.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 23, 2021, 10:02:51 PM
Neil Francis sacked by the indo for saying Lion Marcus Smith had a David Beckham haircut. He also complimented him on having an oompa loompa tan.
He's a f**king idiot.

rodney trotter

Makes a tit of himself regularly

Rudi

He's an arrogant man. He writes on the edge of what's acceptable,  got away with it for years. This time not, no loss.

screenexile

Stupid ill conceived comment but he has previous. He's a complete dose and there are bound to be better Rugby columnists around now who could slot in without any hassle!

Main Street

In retort  Francis (the arrogant entitled prck)  implied that if anyone was dumb enough to take offense from something which had benign intention, then he apologizes to them. That Fitzgerald guy is just as bad, xenophobic attitude to anybody not Irish born who comes over here to take the place on the intl team away from good Leinster born and schooled players.  "The Team of Us",  but who are the "US"?.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on July 25, 2021, 12:10:35 AM
In retort  Francis (the arrogant entitled prck)  implied that if anyone was dumb enough to take offense from something which had benign intention, then he apologizes to them. That Fitzgerald guy is just as bad, xenophobic attitude to anybody not Irish born who comes over here to take the place on the intl team away from good Leinster born and schooled players.  "The Team of Us",  but who are the "US"?.
I am sure he thought he was engaging in "bants" which sports podcasts seem addicted to and rather than blatant racism it is gross stupidity and lazy journalism for a group of fellas who didn't even know Smith has a mother from the Philippines which may explain his "tan". Smith isn't a nobody - anyone who follows English rugby knows his pedigree, which is outstanding for someone of that age. It suggests Francis does no research, talks shote and picks up a cheque.

bennydorano

Noel Clarke (Dr Who sidekick) is suing BAFTA & the Guardian after allegations against him from 20 women were adjudged by the Met Police to not meet the threshold for a criminal investigation.