Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

He was a good player to watch, very direct. A similar build to Michael Murphy. Don't think he ever featured on the International Rules squads, which was surprising , as their was players of lesser ability on some of the squads.

oakleaflad

Mark Lynch was some servant to Derry. Won an All-Ireland minor championship at No.6 as an U-16 in 2002. Played minor and senior championship on the same day in '04. Played like a man possessed the day he kicked 1-08 against Dublin. He won National leagues at Div 1 & 2 but probably deserved more.

spuds

Best of luck to Mark Lynch in his stepping away from Derry, 1st name would look for whenever they played. Hard to credit still only 32.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Dire Ear

Quote from: spuds on December 06, 2018, 02:13:03 PM
Best of luck to Mark Lynch in his stepping away from Derry, 1st name would look for whenever they played. Hard to credit still only 32.
Played the game fair and hard; all the best to him, from a Tyronie.

Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack

Why do GAA players have to announce retirement statements ?

Never understand this . It's not  a professional game.

JoG2

Quote from: Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack on December 06, 2018, 09:38:36 PM

Send on the statement Joe til I get a read at it. Thanks

Orchard park

The Future is now the past, shows how old we are getting

rosnarun

probably as a mark of respect to all their supporters who otherwise would be wondering where they are or whether or not they were just dropped. and give them an opportunity to thank all the people who have helped them on the way
that or rampant egomania . probably the 1st
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack

Quote from: rosnarun on December 06, 2018, 11:27:42 PM

probably as a mark of respect to all their supporters who otherwise would be wondering where they are or whether or not they were just dropped. and give them an opportunity to thank all the people who have helped them on the way

I'd have said ego maybe. I think it's a complete load of bollox . Because ultimately unless you're in the top 5 percent no-one gives a bollox really

Hand the jersey on and move on . Again elitism ..

trueblue1234

Quote from: Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack on December 07, 2018, 12:15:31 AM

I'd have said ego maybe. I think it's a complete load of bollox . Because ultimately unless you're in the top 5 percent no-one gives a bollox really

People obviously do care, otherwise it wouldn't be mentioned. If you don't care, just ignore. I'd prob avoid going into a thread called retirements in that case though...
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

toby47

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 07, 2018, 08:47:30 AM

People obviously do care, otherwise it wouldn't be mentioned. If you don't care, just ignore. I'd prob avoid going into a thread called retirements in that case though...

lol

spuds

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 07, 2018, 08:47:30 AM

;D very good. Think no harm to announce finishing up with county team, saying you are retiring has connotation of being paid but most likely just using same wording as professional sports people. To follow the retiring example it could be said plenty of players were sacked or relieved of their duties.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

seafoid

For supporters the retirement of a favourite player can feel like the end of an era . I felt like that when Padraic Joyce retired.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Announcing a retirement is also doing the incumbent Intercounty Manager a service. It is making it clear that you are no longer available publicly and clears up the whispers in the background. It also clears up the situation for your club. Some are told they are no longer needed and retirement avoids the hurtful questions of being dropped or no longer needed.

To be fair, not all intercounty players get the chance to announce retirement publicly. A lot are dropped or fade out of panel during their inter-county career.

mrdeeds

I can't wait for Seanie Johnson to announce his retirement from Cavan again.