Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: rogercasement on October 17, 2021, 09:24:18 AM
Agreed
r u paying an outsider to take your kids teams or is some1 just winding up? u have went quiet on that RC

bannside

You're 100% right Stiffler. LD far too experienced and streetwise. Short odds on favourites and rightly so. We have Dermot missing and injury doubts over at least four other probable starters, we just can't get any consistency going this year at all. Anyone who has seen us recently will not disagree.

LD by six or eight.

JimStynes

If I was Portglenone I wouldn't even bother turning up. No point.

rogercasement

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 17, 2021, 10:21:46 AM
Quote from: rogercasement on October 17, 2021, 09:24:18 AM

Not that I am aware of. No
Agreed
r u paying an outsider to take your kids teams or is some1 just winding up? u have went quiet on that RC

Dunsilly King

Now that McKeever is available and Mc Aleese fit to start this is now a banana sink for LD. Casements with their spiritual leaders available won't have any fear of this game. Nothing to loose and everything to play for. Looking forward to it

Silver hill

rogercasement

Watched the Leitrim final on the telly box  today and my god what a game of football! To be honest I was surprised at the standard, got me thinking if an Antrim game could be up to that standard and the answer is yes, however this appeared to have less of the hauling and dragging and off the ball stuff that our games have.
Thinking about it after, I was judging the game as it was Leitrim people think they can't play ball, that I am afraid is how people see Antrim football too.

Gold

Quote from: rogercasement on October 17, 2021, 09:15:58 PM
Watched the Leitrim final on the telly box  today and my god what a game of football! To be honest I was surprised at the standard, got me thinking if an Antrim game could be up to that standard and the answer is yes, however this appeared to have less of the hauling and dragging and off the ball stuff that our games have.
Thinking about it after, I was judging the game as it was Leitrim people think they can't play ball, that I am afraid is how people see Antrim football too.

Exactly, there's such snobbery against us, yet we're just as bad when its Leitrim etc.

Final and quality was class and 100mph. There are class footballers in all counties....we all know how to play sport.

Conditioning and 100mph fitness is key and moreso when you go up the gears...you can't carry 1 half out of shape boy or scrawny fella at top intercounty leve

As Is decision making under pressure and tackling. We see so many walk through the middle goals conceded and need to be more physical

But as for the original point....there are class footballers in all counties.....some just have more to pick from
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

I watched the Balnamore v Mohill game too and enjoyed it, although there was a noticeable difference in standards between that and the two Derry QFs. Will take a helluva team to beat Glen in or outside Derry.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2021, 08:04:49 AM
I watched the Balnamore v Mohill game too and enjoyed it, although there was a noticeable difference in standards between that and the two Derry QFs. Will take a helluva team to beat Glen in or outside Derry.
Glen looked the part Bannside but Swatragh were totally awful.

Rodger Mona

Watched Glen myself for the first time in about 10 years and agree they are a hell of a team. Though saying that if they were to get Slaughneil i just dont think it would be as open a game of football. Swatragh seemed very passive and very unlike a madden team who ususally are eye wateringly defensive. There wasnt a bad tackle in the game, and i thought with the size of men on that swatragh team they would try and impose themselves a bit more physically. But Glen looked in great condition

Also watched the Leitrim final and to be honest whilst it was a great spectical and open game, its hard to compare to anything within our own county as we really dont know the level they are at. Cargin v Creggan last year was as good a spectical as you'll see, and 3 or four years prior people were asking for their money back down in Ahoghill watching the same two teams. Id  be more interested to see how that team progresses in Connaught where you'll see how good the standard of Leitrim football really is v others.

Think it goes to show where Antrim football is at, when LD and Cargin has competed in Ulster in recent years....

Dunsilly King

Best two games of championship football I have seen in Antrim were Cargin V St Galls semi-final a few years ago with Tomas Mc Canns screamer goal, thought it was an outstanding game and our game with Cargin in the final last year. Another classic.

Wouldn't put LD and Cargin in the same sentence in Ulster/ LD were stuffed, whilst Cargin were beaten by a few pts in all of their games.

Calm Down

Do we foresee any shocks the coming weekend?

Can St Galls up their game for one last throw? Don't think so, Cargin by 10

Will St John's put it up to Creggan? Perhaps and I think St John's by 1,nothing like games to get ready and our boys have not played in weeks

PG1 to get their season going? Can't call this one, depends how much aggression and intensity PG1 bring

Brides v Agahgallon- the two 'unfancied' teams- I fancy Aghagallon to be that wee bit more nasty and get the job done.

Sarsfields v Whitehill- Whitehill by 7
All Saints v Dunloy- Dunloy to make it by a point or 2

NatSoSaff

Quote from: NatSoSaff on July 08, 2021, 04:38:11 PM
St.Brigids gave a decent enough stab at it though still came up short against a much depleted Cargin side a week or two back and I dont expect much more from them in championship to what they've shown in the league. Rossa have the potential to cause an upset once the knockout stages arrive so that will be interesting. However, the form and condition of the lamh dhearg county men for me are what is going to make this battle very interesting this year. I see only Creggan alongside Cargin and the Lamhs getting anywhere near the big one, everyone else is streaks behind this season I'm afraid. Nothing new then  ::)  PG1 seem to have taken a backward step which is a shame as they looked like they were building a legitimate assault the last couple of seasons.

I seem to remember getting a fair amount of light digs over the PG1 comments from staunch PG1 men on here. Now they're in agreement with me it seems  :P

To be fair, PG1 have had horrible luck with injuries this year. Consistency and getting your best team out is the issue, not the quality within the club.

What are the predictions then for this weekends quarters? I'm going with Aghagallon (+4), Cargin (+5), LD (+5) and the Creggan (+1) (Johnnies to make it a real battle)

Jack O

Quote from: Peter john on October 18, 2021, 12:05:14 PM
Birdie by 2,cargin by 8,Johnnie's by 2,Pg1 by 2 after extra time, sarsfields by 2,Shams by 3,southwest double in junior
we'll beat sarsfields by 15 pts,ain't nothing in IFC get near our boys,Mick's blue and white army are on the march TNN