Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

I'm re-reading Romeo Dallaire's book Shake Hands with the Devil at the moment, Dallaire was head of the UN force in Rwanda during the Massacre. Quite harrowing.

muppet

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 21, 2012, 05:37:06 PM
I'm re-reading Romeo Dallaire's book Shake Hands with the Devil at the moment, Dallaire was head of the UN force in Rwanda during the Massacre. Quite harrowing.

Yes, he features in the other book. I'd say he speaks highly of Boutros Boutros-Ghali?
MWWSI 2017

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: muppet on December 21, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Yes, he features in the other book. I'd say he speaks highly of Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

He doesn't mention him much but he is very critical of the UN and their unwillingness do intervene directly, they wouldn't let him confiscate weapons sent to the Hutus. He did what he could and suffered badly over it.

muppet

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 21, 2012, 10:54:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 21, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

He doesn't mention him much but he is very critical of the UN and their unwillingness do intervene directly, they wouldn't let him confiscate weapons sent to the Hutus. He did what he could and suffered badly over it.

It seems incredible now but when one tribe carrys a long planned mass slaughter of 800,000 people of another tribe, only for the UN to send military (France) and humanitarian assistance (mainly US) to the side conducting the massacre, surely one of the greatest screw-ups in history? My understanding was that those actions were based on unreliable info from people such as Mitterend's son and Boutros himself.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 07, 2012, 09:45:44 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 07, 2012, 09:26:16 AM
@thePhilipKerr: Bernie Gunther back in April in A Man Without Breath. The title is from a novel by a writer called Josef Goebbels

Cool, I have Prague Fatale lined up to read shortly.  Back to the Italian theme; have you read any of Marco Vichi's Commissario Bordelli series - recommended, by me anyway.

Over the Christmas I read 'City of Shadows - Michael Russell' - very much reminiscent of Bernie Gunther's adventures but set in Dublin in the 1930s.  The city features heavily; very good atmospherically.  The main protagonist is a young (protestant) Garda sergeant with a German mother; he's recently widowed with a young son who now lives with his parents in Wicklow - he works/lives in Dublin during the week.  Anyhoo, there's a murder and there's all sorts of stuff going on: nasty catholic church shenanigans, blueshirts vs. IRA-heads within the Gardai, and in the background the Nazis are making their presence felt in Ireland.  A good read, made more interesting by the local context - will be interested to see where the author goes with this next.  Recommended (for Bernie fans anyway).   
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LeoMc

Read Barry McElduffs book there. <shakes head>
He does admit to being a name dropper but it is just an endless stream of unrelated anecdotes in an attempt to mention as many different people as possible. He should have just printed the electoral register and have done with it, at least there would have been less repetition.

Mayo4Sam

Just finished Tyler Hamiltons "the secret race", was expecting to dislike him intensely, just another doper but his main argument is this is what he had to do to compete, what would you do?
Excellent read, couldn't recommend it enough.
They're all at it, from reading this you'd have to have serious doubts over Wiggo, apparently when a team dominates like Sky did last year they've come across something new
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Billys Boots

I've managed to get my hands on e-book files for the James McClure 'Kramer and Zondi' series - writtent and set in the Apartheid era in South Africa.  Highly recommended, good characterisation, gritty and well-plotted.  I only mention it because you can't seem to buy these files anywhere - drop me a PM if you want the mobi-files. 

LeoMc

Just read Richard Herleys "The Penal Colony". A good read. Has anyone read any of his other books and would you recommend them?

bennydorano

Half way through the Fall of Yugoslavia, by Mischa Glenny. Jesus, savage stuff.

I also have 'Cromwell' & the 'Angel of Grozny' waiting - fun week off work for me next week ???

bennydorano

After reading the fall of Yugoslavia i've went deeper, reading The Serbs by Tim Judah. They are a fascinating bunch.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 21, 2011, 11:35:30 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 21, 2011, 11:07:36 AM
Just finished the latest Erast Fandorin by Boris Akunin, The Diamond Chariot. A fantastic book, it's two novels in one, the first is set in 1905 during the Russo-Japanese war and the second recounts Fandorin's time in Japan in 1878. There is a shocking twist on the final page.

They're great alright Harold - next on my list is 'He Lover of Death' and then on to the Diamond Chariot.  Looking forward to them immensely.  ;D

Finally started 'The Diamond Chariot' Harold, and it's well worth the wait.   ;D

5 Sams

Deadly wee bookshop on Merrion Row if anyone's interested. Bargain books. A lot of dross in it  but if u hoke about there's a few gems. Got "Deadlock" about the Dubs V Meath in 91 for a fiver.
The Aristocrat Years