Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hand up on May 11, 2016, 11:30:37 PM
We beat Rossa in Shaws Rd by 2 points, I wasn't there but it was supposed to be good tough game and we did well to take the points home. A Mate told me he was well impressed with Rossa who will stay in Div 1 for sure.

Decent game, Rossa kept plugging away, took their points and the one chance of a goal they took it too lead.... But Dall came back, they managed to take easier scores but the goals won it for them... Rossa wont be off the pace come championship...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: hardstation on May 12, 2016, 11:52:12 PM
Championship is a long way away. Positive start to the league which was needed as it's gonna be a tough one this year. No easy games for anyone. There is a buzz about the club with the centenary etc and it seems to be carrying to the teams. New manager this year will have freshened things up, he's one of our greatest club men and will get 100% from players. Knows a bit too. I'd say nobody is getting carried away but just keeping on working at it.
Who's the new manager??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on May 13, 2016, 10:35:04 AM
Championship is a long way away. Positive start to the league which was needed as it's gonna be a tough one this year. No easy games for anyone. There is a buzz about the club with the centenary etc and it seems to be carrying to the teams. New manager this year will have freshened things up, he's one of our greatest club men and will get 100% from players. Knows a bit too. I'd say nobody is getting carried away but just keeping on working at it.
Who's the new manager??

Is it Jim Close?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 13, 2016, 10:59:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 13, 2016, 10:45:26 AM
Who's the new manager??

Is it Jim Close?
Yeah.

Jim is a good guy, plenty respect too id imagine from the team

ned

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 13, 2016, 12:00:26 PM
Who's the new manager??

Is it Jim Close?
Yeah.

Did Jim Close play on some of the good Antrim teams in early 90's? Great dual player?

imtommygunn

Quote from: ned on May 13, 2016, 01:33:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 13, 2016, 12:00:26 PM
Who's the new manager??

Is it Jim Close?
Yeah.

Did Jim Close play on some of the good Antrim teams in early 90's? Great dual player?

He tended to be a sub I think but made a good difference when he came on generally. He had some speed about him. Most of that Close family did / do.

Brocky

Watched a few videos of Antrim games recently. The referees whilst trying to be fair tend to blow for small things instead of letting the game flow. If you watch other games in the south the main objective is to let it go as much as possible, within reason.
The result is you get players mentors and fans all shouting for frees for anything and the standard of hurling goes down.
I really think we need to have someone in control try to have a word with the refs.
Any thoughts?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 14, 2016, 10:55:28 PM
Quote from: Brocky on May 14, 2016, 10:47:03 PM
Watched a few videos of Antrim games recently. The referees whilst trying to be fair tend to blow for small things instead of letting the game flow. If you watch other games in the south the main objective is to let it go as much as possible, within reason.
The result is you get players mentors and fans all shouting for frees for anything and the standard of hurling goes down.
I really think we need to have someone in control try to have a word with the refs.
Any thoughts?
Perhaps players in those other counties are more willing to take big hits/borderline frees and get on with it. Is there a mentality in Antrim that if you take a big hit, you need to instantly restore your pride by having a whack at your aggressor asap, leading to a row? I would say refs are more than willing to let the game go but feel it can lead to the game getting out of hand.

Very good post HS

Brocky

Valid enough HS. I don't think it's just that either. The refs at times blow for little things that are probably frees but you do see the fouled player carrying on and then stopping as the ref blew it.
There is definitely a bit of both.
My ideal game is when you forget who the referee was and it's all about the hurling.
I think to progress to the proper intensity and speed of hurling this is something that has to change and it has to start with the refs.
Even talking to both teams before the game to set out what way they intend to referee the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Brocky on May 14, 2016, 11:54:58 PM
Valid enough HS. I don't think it's just that either. The refs at times blow for little things that are probably frees but you do see the fouled player carrying on and then stopping as the ref blew it.
My ideal game is when you forget who the referee was and it's all about the hurling.
I think to progress to the proper intensity and speed of hurling this is something that has to change and it has to start with the refs.
Even talking to both teams before the game to set out what way they intend to referee the game.

Not a believer in telling teams how I'm refereeing it.... I blow for a foul I see and move on... I won't see every free nor will I keep everyone happy... If it flows its down to the teams... Worst thing that comes from players if a little melee happens... You caused that ref!! Ah feck off

Brocky

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2016, 11:59:52 PM

Not a believer in telling teams how I'm refereeing it.... I blow for a foul I see and move on... I won't see every free nor will I keep everyone happy... If it flows its down to the teams... Worst thing that comes from players if a little melee happens... You caused that ref!! Ah feck off

Do you agree there is an issue. Be it refs or players with too many silly Frees that affect the speed of our games?

btdtgtt

I don't so much see an issue over what is / isn't a foul. 
It's more consistency for me.
If the ref is consistent then no complaint - get use to his style & judgement.
Insistency from one decision to the next is most frustrating.

Brocky

The issue is the speed and intensity of our hurling.
We need to get it installed in everyone that you let it go and lose this soccer attitude which is creeping in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Brocky on May 15, 2016, 12:31:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2016, 11:59:52 PM

Do you agree there is an issue. Be it refs or players with too many silly Frees that affect the speed of our games?

One thing you are told as a ref is blow for a foul.... Now with the advantage rule you let the game carry on a bit.... Some clubs would rather have the free and take the point, others who have the ability to create a goal will want the advantage, dammed if you dammed if you don't!!! I suspect your silly frees are jersey pulling and push in back??

Jesusjones

Just hurl like the oul days when a ref was optional. Players used to murder each other during a game, shake hands after the final whistle, have a feed of pints and make love to each other.