Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

I picked up on the part on the standard of development squads. This is really important. Have we the best people possible taking our squads? Is what's being done at development sessions a significant step up from club coaching? If not we're wasting time, finances and jeopardizing future competitiveness......Hopefully these things are scrutinised and analysed.

theskull1

To get enough quality resources at county level there needs to be excess coaching resources in clubs

I'd say the quality of coaching resources this year is as good as it's been. Some good men in there at all grades

I'd genuinely be interested to know how good Dev squad coaching should differ from good club coaching?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

hurlingstick

Good result for Westmeath. I'm sure Kerry quietly fancied themselves. Down heating Roscommon 1.14 to 1.07 if I'm not mistaken ......we'd need to take note.

hurlingguru

What do we think are chances are against Down in 2 weeks?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hurlingguru on May 08, 2016, 04:09:17 PM
What do we think are chances are against Down in 2 weeks?

I'd say if we cant beat Down we may as well pack it in and concentrate on Rounders
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Why was there no games fixed for today

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on May 08, 2016, 10:16:31 PM

Warmest day of the year, so they said feck it! Wait till its raining!!  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gizzy15

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2016, 11:26:29 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 08, 2016, 10:16:31 PM
Was wondering that myself. Cemetery Sunday in Milltown.  ;D

It was 'La Na Club' day (excuse the spelling) i will let HS correct it. there were to be no fixtures in any county (im sure someone here will find some) and clubs were encouraged to have a club celebration/promotion day. i know our club had a Family bbq and traditional music with a bit of puck/kick fada and a few other games. i actually think it was a good idea (if your club took part) and allowed familys to enjoy a day together in the club

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on May 06, 2016, 09:18:10 PM
To get enough quality resources at county level there needs to be excess coaching resources in clubs

I'd say the quality of coaching resources this year is as good as it's been. Some good men in there at all grades

I'd genuinely be interested to know how good Dev squad coaching should differ from good club coaching?

Entirely correct. Good coaching is good coaching - there's no reason why that in Clubs should be any different.

My issue with "development" squads in Antrim is that they are actually "elite" Squads. They take already well developed players away from their Clubs (who developed them) and as a result limit the ability of other players to develop - due to decimated training sessions or cancelled matches.
If these were genuinely development squads - they should concentrate on good players at weaker club - who are at risk of falling through the net. Otherwise - lets just call them what they are - county teams.

Otherwise I was down for the replay yesterday - and stunned. Firstly by the Clare comeback - and secondly by the decision not award a Waterford free at the death. It looked stonewall at the time, and TV confirmed it for me. So I left with little more than a sunburnt scalp from the day! Hopefully Waterford can turn this for bigger prizes. I know the Munster championship means so much - but I think a back door route could suit a team this year also.

As for Antrim, lifting the Christy Ring is a minimum requirement. Hopefully it can finish the year with at leas a  smile on those players who deserve it.

Exiled Ruairi

Just heard that the U21 Championship match between Ruairi Og and McQuillans is off tonight. Ballycastle have been trying to get it moved for over a week now, with the reason being that players were working away from home.

It's a joke when a championship can't start on time and players from Cushendall have prepared well for this game and now it's off.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself what's the point!!!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Im sure another week wont make a big difference, theres not a lot can be done if your missing players to work commitments.

Lgiel were more than accommodating to move the senior game that they had prepared for from the Sunday to a Monday night to suit a stag doo. Clubs have to work with each other when the need arises.
hurl like f**k boi!

Jesusjones

If players are working away this Monday would they not be working away next Monday as well? How many under 21 players aren't either at school or uni? 

theskull1

Wouldnt yesterday have been the perfect day for it if common sense was employed  :o

Jesusjones

Under 21 1/4s and semis have been on a Monday night this past few years although I agree yesterday was the day for it. Our match v Dunloy was called off yesterday because of the under 21 match tonight. Now it's off too. 24 hours that sum up many of our problems in Antrim. Matches should be fixed and played. Fellas working away isn't a reason to look for a game called off.