Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearse Blue

Read on here a couple of weeks ago that Benny Gallen left the squad for a golf scholarship and I never knew him to be a golfer. After asking around it has been confirmed that he was accepted into a D2 NCAA college golfing program. Fair dues to the lad and I wish him all the best, it would be extremely hard to turn down a shot at professional sport.

However, based on the weekends result in Kerry we may need to get Keystone on board to keep him after the 6 goal smashing we took. 

bigtogs

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 14, 2021, 11:11:58 PM
McKenna might be better used as a wing back for the time being. Use his athleticism to bomb up and down. He might be better suited to coming on to the ball than getting it with his back to goal. The criticism of Meyler and McGeary is strange. Two of the better players on Saturday from my point of view, McGeary got 3 decent points from play and Meyler did a decent job on Sean O'Se under a lot of pressure. I think he definitely has a role to play tracking the oppositions most dynamic forward. Any word on Canavan?

Take a look at McKenna's position when Gavin White Lobbed our Keeper he never made an effort to get across and get pressure on the kicker which was disappointing and maybe summed up the attitude of the team need to work a lot harder that for sure. McKenna is not living a professional lifestyle so his fitness levels will not be at the same level as they wore when he came from Aussie land, we all expect a bit more all the same...

Tyrone11234

Why is Kennedy and Brennan getting no game time this year? Looks a strong team only change I would make is Cassidy/Rafferty for Munroe

Fuzzman

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Tyrone11234 on June 15, 2021, 09:10:40 PM
Why is Kennedy and Brennan getting no game time this year? Looks a strong team only change I would make is Cassidy/Rafferty for Munroe

Kennedy is a strange one. But from a yarn with one or two Brennan isn't at the pace of it. He's a classy classy operator but I don't think he is a county forward. He could drop off to Trillick very handy

barelegs

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on June 16, 2021, 08:04:30 AM
Quote from: Tyrone11234 on June 15, 2021, 09:10:40 PM

Kennedy is a strange one. But from a yarn with one or two Brennan isn't at the pace of it. He's a classy classy operator but I don't think he is a county forward. He could drop off to Trillick very handy

Kennedy injured a hamstring in the Donegal game

Ty4Sam

I hear the usual shite has started this year again. Last years minors play Derry next Saturday in the championship, players told they are not allowed to play for clubs (senior and u19) this weekend and next week by the management. A few clubs even weaker over the next 2 weeks.

bigtogs

Quote from: Ty4Sam on June 16, 2021, 09:39:42 PM
I hear the usual shite has started this year again. Last years minors play Derry next Saturday in the championship, players told they are not allowed to play for clubs (senior and u19) this weekend and next week by the management. A few clubs even weaker over the next 2 weeks.

Surely Senior can play this weekend Tyrone don't play for 3 weeks,,,

tyrone08

I think tyrone will struggle over the next 2-3 years. They have had the same problem for the last 5-6 years, too many "nice" footballers. These lad will score all day if you put it on a plate for them and give them a bit of space.

Tyrone don't have the aggressiveness of the top teams e.g mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Donegal etc. These teams have players who win the dirty ball and who get in the face of the opposition. Too many of the tyrone players don't have that desire they are more concerned about looking good.

O'Neill, mulligan etc were very skillful but could also win the dirty ball and bully defenders. Peter harte is a prime example, wonderfully skilled player but constantly allows himself to be bullied in the big games. Last year he allowed himself to be simply pushed back by the kerry defender anytime he tried to move. Yes he was being fouled but he had to find a way into the game.

For all the abuse tyrone get about being dirty I think they are far too nice. You simply nee players who never say die. Tyrone in the 00's had a team full of them

Mikhailov

Quote from: Ty4Sam on June 16, 2021, 09:39:42 PM

I think what he refers to us that last years Tyrone U17 team play next weekend in the 2020 Ulster semi v Derry and are therefore not allowed to play this weekend for the club senior or u19 sides. Basically gun put to their head by management

MC

bigtogs
"Take a look at McKenna's position when Gavin White Lobbed our Keeper he never made an effort to get across and get pressure on the kicker which was disappointing"

Something similar in the Armagh game for their first goal.
I think he's a good player but may be asking a lot for him to come back to Tyrone and be a dominant force immediately.
He was a little bit of an unknown quantity for the few games last season and may have benefitted against opposition defences for that.

NotedObserver

Quote from: MC on June 18, 2021, 04:31:58 PM
bigtogs
"Take a look at McKenna's position when Gavin White Lobbed our Keeper he never made an effort to get across and get pressure on the kicker which was disappointing"

Something similar in the Armagh game for their first goal.
I think he's a good player but may be asking a lot for him to come back to Tyrone and be a dominant force immediately.
He was a little bit of an unknown quantity for the few games last season and may have benefitted against opposition defences for that.

Think so and would like to see him coming onto the ball and see his pace. Playing FF against quality full backs not easy with little games in that position.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2021, 11:34:06 PM
Any news on Canavan and Ronan?

THE Tyrone manager, Feargal Logan, has revealed that Darragh Canavan is in a battle to be fit for the Ulster Championship opener against Cavan at O'Neill's Healy Park next month.

He was injured in the early stages of the National League semi-final against Kerry nine days ago. But there are hopes that he will have recovered sufficiently from the angle injury to be in contention for a place against the reigning champions.

Feargal Logan also revealed that Cathal McShane, who missed the league campaign, is also currently taking a full part in training.

"Darragh had an ankle injury which just innocently against Kerry which is going to keep him out for a few weeks. But the early signs are good, even though it's very painful," the Stewartstown clubman said.

"It's very unfortunate for him, but hopefully it's a matter of weeks for him and not beyond that. It would be hopeful (that he'd be in the frame for the Cavan game) but we've just got to take it day by day and week by week in the meantime. He may be in difficulties for that match.

"Cathal (McShane) is coming on very well and has full participation essentially. But because it's such a long time off with Cathal, we'r ejust re-integrating him gently. We are hopeful for him that it all comes together."
That was never a square ball!!

Pearse Blue

McShane gonna be nowhere near ready for an ulster championship game. OK he had one great season at full forward (don't forget about the couple of poor seasons before that) but the man hasn't kicked a competitive ball in almost 2 years. If he is the FF starter Tyrone are in even bigger trouble than it appears. 

oliverkelly

Quote from: Pearse Blue on June 22, 2021, 11:18:44 AM
McShane gonna be nowhere near ready for an ulster championship game. OK he had one great season at full forward (don't forget about the couple of poor seasons before that) but the man hasn't kicked a competitive ball in almost 2 years. If he is the FF starter Tyrone are in even bigger trouble than it appears.
We(Roscommon) played Tyrone in Roslea on Sunday and McShane was playing. The lads i spoke to said he was miles off it and extremely rusty as you would expect. Will take him a while to reach near his level after such a lay off. Niall Morgan i hear had another shocker and we got around 1-4 off him losing the ball or bad kickouts.