Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on December 02, 2021, 08:42:46 PM
I don't think he can give that goal. The ref clearly goes to blow for the injury. So he's clearly about to stop the game. He gets distracted by the shot. He obviously feels that as he's going to stop the game it's no goal. Who he speaks to after that is beyond me. But allowing the goal there would be like awarding a goal after a clear hand ball because you hadn't blown for the handball yet.

Whether he was going to blow or was distracted he didn't blow, so by the rules he he couldn't make the call.

I'd say the guys upstairs have informed him he'd no other way out of it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2021, 08:46:34 PM
I don't think he can give that goal. The ref clearly goes to blow for the injury. So he's clearly about to stop the game. He gets distracted by the shot. He obviously feels that as he's going to stop the game it's no goal. Who he speaks to after that is beyond me. But allowing the goal there would be like awarding a goal after a clear hand ball because you hadn't blown for the handball yet.

Whether he was going to blow or was distracted he didn't blow, so by the rules he he couldn't make the call.

No that's not the rules. If a ref blows for a free the ball isn't in play between the foul and the whistle. It's dead from the point of the free. So of course he can decide the game was to be stopped. If it wasn't that way VAR wouldn't work.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hound

Exactly. He blew the whistle after the ball was in the net. No foul play so goal has to stand.
Comedic by de gea to lie down like that while the game going on

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on December 02, 2021, 08:50:47 PM

No that's not the rules. If a ref blows for a free the ball isn't in play between the foul and the whistle. It's dead from the point of the free. So of course he can decide the game was to be stopped. If it wasn't that way VAR wouldn't work.

Be interesting then to hear his reasoning then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Also why is he talking to the guys upstairs they can't tell him about stopping the game for an injury

David McKeown

I should add that had he have seen De Gea and decided not to stop the game and therefore have awarded the goal immediately I wouldn't have an issue with the goal. It's the way he's behaved I have a problem with. He's clearly made a decision then changed his mind due the ball going in.

Hound

Quote from: David McKeown on December 02, 2021, 08:57:40 PM
I should add that had he have seen De Gea and decided not to stop the game and therefore have awarded the goal immediately I wouldn't have an issue with the goal. It's the way he's behaved I have a problem with. He's clearly made a decision then changed his mind due the ball going in.
A decision isn't actually made until the whistle goes. Whistle went after ball was in the net.

Helix.

That Fred assist might have saved him from being hauled off at ht.

Out of nowhere and 1-1. Telles and maybe Dalot doing ok!

David McKeown

Quote from: Hound on December 02, 2021, 09:01:33 PM
A decision isn't actually made until the whistle goes. Whistle went after ball was in the net.

That's not right. How do you chalk goals off for offside if there's a late flag?  How about for handball?

Hound

United improved / Arsenal went into their shell a bit after the goal. 1-1 fair enough at half time.

Quote from: David McKeown on December 02, 2021, 09:02:57 PM

That's not right. How do you chalk goals off for offside if there's a late flag?  How about for handball?
You're mixing your apples and oranges. There was no foul, so the timing of the whistle was all that mattered.

Boycey

Just seen it there, fair enough to award a goal I think but had he blown before ball crosses line also fair enough to disallow?

HiMucker

No harm that is shocking by deGea. I don't think you would ever see that in GAA and the keeper playing on after. Hardly can blame Fred for deGea being made of chocolate

Ghost

Fred gets plenty of abuse, most of it deserved but McTominay gets off far too easily. Such a limited player. Nowhere near good enough to be playing week in, week out for a club like Man Utd.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on December 02, 2021, 09:12:15 PM
No harm that is shocking by deGea. I don't think you would ever see that in GAA and the keeper playing on after. Hardly can blame Fred for deGea being made of chocolate

All those players are made of chocolate ffs! I wonder do they even blush when looking back?

David McKeown

Quote from: Hound on December 02, 2021, 09:10:38 PM
United improved / Arsenal went into their shell a bit after the goal. 1-1 fair enough at half time.

Quote from: David McKeown on December 02, 2021, 09:02:57 PM

You're mixing your apples and oranges. There was no foul, so the timing of the whistle was all that mattered.

The timing of the decision is relevant not the timing of the whistle. If he decides the game is to be stopped for an injury anything after that is irrelevant. It appears that's the decision he makes. If it's not why does he move the whistle to his mouth before the shot. Why does he take so long to allow the goal. Why does he initially wag his finger at Arsenal players when they ask about the goal. Why is there any discussion on allowing the goal with whoever he is talking to?  As I say I don't think he could award it. I think he's deciding he's stopping that game for player welfare reasons and has changed his mind because the ball went into the net.