Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didlyi

Changing the sliothars is a big move and I dont see the it happening. It will impact players at all grades and not all hurlers can drive balls over the bar from 30 metres not to talk of 80. We could have less goals and I would fear that a defensive game like football could result if too much weight was added to the ball. Apply the existing rules first!

johnnycool

Quote from: didlyi on May 17, 2021, 11:49:17 PM
Changing the sliothars is a big move and I dont see the it happening. It will impact players at all grades and not all hurlers can drive balls over the bar from 30 metres not to talk of 80. We could have less goals and I would fear that a defensive game like football could result if too much weight was added to the ball. Apply the existing rules first!

Losing count of the number of players putting over "amazing" points ( (c) Marty Morrisey)  whilst standing on their own 45m line. striking the ball 90 to 100 metres, that's not just strength and conditioning..

But does deadening the ball play into the hands of sweepers and funnelling back!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 24, 2021, 08:58:06 AM

Losing count of the number of players putting over "amazing" points ( (c) Marty Morrisey)  whilst standing on their own 45m line. striking the ball 90 to 100 metres, that's not just strength and conditioning..

But does deadening the ball play into the hands of sweepers and funnelling back!!

What's the chances of having an 'old' silothar and a new one to compare? I just don't know if there is any difference to a siltothar from the mid 80's to now.

The players are just stronger and more accurate and better conditioned than we were back then, changing the size of the scoring zone would be the only real difference, deadening the ball will reduce it be what? 20 meters in flight?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2021, 10:13:08 AM

What's the chances of having an 'old' silothar and a new one to compare? I just don't know if there is any difference to a siltothar from the mid 80's to now.

The players are just stronger and more accurate and better conditioned than we were back then, changing the size of the scoring zone would be the only real difference, deadening the ball will reduce it be what? 20 meters in flight?

I've some old sliothars with the proper leather and bigger rims, not the cork core ones either and I bet most would struggle with 80 metres. They'd break most modern hurls as well. The difference is like night and day.
Next time you're down I'll give you one.  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 24, 2021, 10:37:42 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2021, 10:13:08 AM

I've some old sliothars with the proper leather and bigger rims, not the cork core ones either and I bet most would struggle with 80 metres. They'd break most modern hurls as well. The difference is like night and day.
Next time you're down I'll give you one.  ;D

Flattered but I don't 'swing' that way  ;D

Yeah they may be heavier and it will make for some cracking dropping balls into the box and the tussles in there will change the positioning of teams and  how they set up, then there will be complaints about that..

People just complain because they are gurning bastards, they game is fine and manly  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Galway scored 4 goals versus the  Déise.
#Jaysus
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Limerick letting Cork know where they're actually at, Kilkenny not pulling up trees but ticking along nicely and Galway motoring well.

I think Tipp, Waterford, Cork are a slight level below but well able to pull out a surprise but the AI will be between Galway (if they don't f up before that) and Limerick..

Kilkenny always have a fighting chance with TJ in the team and Mullen is a good addition but still think the top two can put them away more often than not.

imtommygunn

That would be my take on it. Galway, for me, are probably the only team who could beat Limerick but they could get beat by others too.

Cork hadn't Horgan so there was a bit of shadow boxing there but still they are probably a bit away from Limerick levels.

KK probably a bit above the teams in 1B so haven't been pushed yet.

Milltown Row2

Galway racking up big scores against the lesser teams (not that Waterford are a lesser team) , Limerick don't go for goals, Cork always trying to engineer a goal, Antrim surprising some teams, Davy hasn't changed.

Waterford, just unsure of what their game plan is. Cork playing mind games with selections. Limerick defending has improved also. Dublin were not all that against Clare Tony Kelly. Antrim secured div1 for next year. Kilkenny still developing players but will rely on the older ones come championship, not sure they'll beat Galway

imtommygunn

They really shouldn't have been beat by KK last year either though.

On another note Cody looking very gaunt in his interviews. He was never weighty but looks to have lost a load.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2021, 04:46:23 PM

On another note Cody looking very gaunt in his interviews. He was never weighty but looks to have lost a load.
Well, he is over 70 now and he was never one to carry excess weight but, all the same, he has aged a lot lately.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 09:17:17 PM

Well, he is over 70 now and he was never one to carry excess weight but, all the same, he has aged a lot lately.

He's 67 in a few weeks! Still, it's a young mans game. It takes loads of energy and mental resolve. It's also about the Management team you have around you.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 08, 2021, 08:07:53 AM

He's 67 in a few weeks! Still, it's a young mans game. It takes loads of energy and mental resolve. It's also about the Management team you have around you.
He was three years behind me in St
Pats Drumcondra and I am 72.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 08, 2021, 08:07:53 AM

He's 67 in a few weis eks! Still, it's a young mans game. It takes loads of energy and mental resolve. It's also about the Management team you have around you.
I guess I was wrong. I think I am getting senile. He  was 5 years behind me.

imtommygunn

Any which way he doesn't look as healthy as he used to.