Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Bellaghy really don't seem to have kicked on at all after a few of their underage teams have come through to senior. A bad score line for them at the weekend and only 1 point from play.

Derry Optimist

In fairness to Bellaghy they were missing four County panellists Paul Cassidy,Declan Cassidy,Conleth McShane,Ronan McFaul and at least three other regulars.Very few clubs can have a strong enough enough squad to overcome such a good  side as Lavey even without their two county men.Unlike Bellaghy sides of the past they do not have strength in depth.

toby47

Lavey were missing a few on top of their 2 county men also. 15 points is a bad hammering.

I just thought it would be the stage where Bellaghy would be starting to push on a level.

Estimator

Quote from: Derry Optimist on June 07, 2021, 01:02:04 PM
In fairness to Bellaghy they were missing four County panellists Paul Cassidy,Declan Cassidy,Conleth McShane,Ronan McFaul and at least three other regulars.Very few clubs can have a strong enough enough squad to overcome such a good  side as Lavey even without their two county men.Unlike Bellaghy sides of the past they do not have strength in depth.

Quote from: toby47 on June 07, 2021, 01:10:13 PM
Lavey were missing a few on top of their 2 county men also. 15 points is a bad hammering.

I just thought it would be the stage where Bellaghy would be starting to push on a level.

2019 – Bellaghy Ulster Minor Champions
Bellaghy: D McErlean; R McFaul, C McLarnon, J Diamond; P McErlean, C Milne, O Lee; C McShane (3-0), K Friel(1-1); O McErlean (1-1), L Spier (0-5), L Brady; C Diamond (0-1 free), P Cassidy (1-2), R Lee (0-1 free).

2021 – Bellaghy v Lavey
Bellaghy: Peter Stuart; Odhran Lee, Ryan McNally, James Diamond; Declan Brown, Ryan Lee, Lorcan Spier; Oisin McErlean, Chrissy Downey (0-1); Karl McCallion, Eoghan Brown, Conan Milne; Charlie Diamond (0-1f), Damon Gallagher (0-3f), Odhran McGarry
Subs: Conor Quinn, Ronan McFaul

I'm certainly not one to be defending Bellaghy, but that is a fairly young side they had out against Lavey, 7 lads that started in the 2019 minor final, with one lad off the bench as a sub. Pretty sure that Conor Quinn would also be in the same age bracket.  Two of the lads that are with the county: McShane and P Cassidy also featured in that 2019 Ulster final, and Declan Cassidy would only be a year or two older. Full out, they'd probably have a starting line up with 10/12 lads under the age of 23.  To me, Bellaghy are at the same place Glen were about 8/9years ago. Trying to put a huge group of talented young lads into a side that doesn't have enough wiley, senior club-game hardened older lads to see them through difficult games.

Edit:  That being said, I must have a look at the age profile of that Lavey team - pretty sure they'd a young enough outfit on as well.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Estimator

2020 – Lavey  Ulster Minor Champions
Lavey: J Scullion; Joe Duggan, S O'Neill, S Melaugh; E Downey; Rory McGill, R Farrell, Ryan McGill; C Collins, Jamie Duggan (0-2); P McGurk (0-1), J McGurk (0-2), N Duggan; C Downey (0-2), M Downey (0-2f)

2021 – Lavey v Bellaghy
Lavey: Jack Scullion; Aidan Toner, Conor Mulholland, Jamie Duggan; James McGurk (0-1), Chrissy Henry, Hugh McGurk (0-1); Peter Rafferty, Damian Chivers; Fintan Bradley (0-2), Oran Downey, Matthew Downey (0-2, 1f); Enda Downey (0-4, 3f), Ryan Mulholland, Declan Hughes (0-4)
Subs: Cailean O'Boyle (1-2), Shane McGill (0-1), Ryan Farren, James Crawford

By my count, its 5 from their recent Ulster Minor victory, which is a fair few being blooded in the same team.  And the likes of Bradley and O Downey wouldn't be much older.  I'd say the difference is the ability to bring on the likes of O'Boyle who can still make a big contribution. Plus the likes of D Hughes, C Mulholland, D Chivers, C Henry, A Toner and R Farren have already played in a senior county final with Lavey.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: Estimator on June 08, 2021, 12:07:21 PM
2020 – Lavey  Ulster Minor Champions
Lavey: J Scullion; Joe Duggan, S O'Neill, S Melaugh; E Downey; Rory McGill, R Farrell, Ryan McGill; C Collins, Jamie Duggan (0-2); P McGurk (0-1), J McGurk (0-2), N Duggan; C Downey (0-2), M Downey (0-2f)

2021 – Lavey v Bellaghy
Lavey: Jack Scullion; Aidan Toner, Conor Mulholland, Jamie Duggan; James McGurk (0-1), Chrissy Henry, Hugh McGurk (0-1); Peter Rafferty, Damian Chivers; Fintan Bradley (0-2), Oran Downey, Matthew Downey (0-2, 1f); Enda Downey (0-4, 3f), Ryan Mulholland, Declan Hughes (0-4)
Subs: Cailean O'Boyle (1-2), Shane McGill (0-1), Ryan Farren, James Crawford

By my count, its 5 from their recent Ulster Minor victory, which is a fair few being blooded in the same team.  And the likes of Bradley and O Downey wouldn't be much older.  I'd say the difference is the ability to bring on the likes of O'Boyle who can still make a big contribution. Plus the likes of D Hughes, C Mulholland, D Chivers, C Henry, A Toner and R Farren have already played in a senior county final with Lavey.

Different E Downeys.

Estimator

The final might see a bit of rotation in the squad.

Speaking after watching his team secure promotion on Saturday, Derry managers Rory Gallagher had said he may use any potential final to rotate his squad and get minutes into player who have not featured as much as he would have liked ahead of their own Ulster Championship date with Donegal or Down on July 11th.

"I don't mind (if there is a final). If we've another game, we play it," explained the Derry manager, "(We'll) probably use it as an opportunity to play a few (squad) players but if there's not there's not.

"We've had four tough games and a challenge match. It's tough run and we're starting to pick up a few niggles so maybe a week's rest wouldn't be the worst thing."

JoG2

1700hrs on Sat @ Croke Pk. On TG4 I believe

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on June 14, 2021, 09:54:33 AM
1700hrs on Sat @ Croke Pk. On TG4 I believe
Sin é! Doire abú. 👍

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Estimator on June 14, 2021, 09:26:31 AM
The final might see a bit of rotation in the squad.

Speaking after watching his team secure promotion on Saturday, Derry managers Rory Gallagher had said he may use any potential final to rotate his squad and get minutes into player who have not featured as much as he would have liked ahead of their own Ulster Championship date with Donegal or Down on July 11th.

"I don't mind (if there is a final). If we've another game, we play it," explained the Derry manager, "(We'll) probably use it as an opportunity to play a few (squad) players but if there's not there's not.

"We've had four tough games and a challenge match. It's tough run and we're starting to pick up a few niggles so maybe a week's rest wouldn't be the worst thing."
Good to see us going in the right direction again ,

Wildweasel74

restorepride

The far side of the Bann always seems greener! Doire abú! Good luck to Doire tomorrow- wiil the team named start?!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on June 18, 2021, 11:30:42 PM
The far side of the Bann always seems greener! Doire abú! Good luck to Doire tomorrow- wiil the team named start?!

Derry by 5

Baile an tuaigh

Derry playing very well, that point from the free out beside the Cusack stand reminded me of Maurice Fitzgeralds against Dublin down in Thurles a few years ago.

That goal Offaly got was totally against the run of play i expect Derry to pull away in the second half.

Baile an tuaigh

Congratulations I think Chrissy pushing up the park in the second half gives Derry so much more. He has too much footballing ability to be stuck in the full back line. Looking good, Ulster not as clear cut this year. Fancy Armagh, Derry and Down to give it a serious shot.