Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 6109682 times)

SamFever

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #27615 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Fixtures to run every week basically from start of league in april until early august, unless you get a run in championship. four months of competitive football for div three and four, slightly longer for div 1 & 2. no break for july fortnight, 8 months off season. who seriously thinks this is a good idea?
The clubs will all have to vote for/against this but before this happens on Thursday night what do you think would be a better plan?

turkey+ham

• View Profile
« Reply #27616 on: January 24, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »
I think that the idea to have regular fixtures is good, but July/summer break still necessary to ensure club players with families can continue to have holiday during summer hols. Would extend season too. Also feel that divisions & 1& 2 should be reduced to ten teams. But then that will go down like a lead balloon! Would increase number of games in division 3 and 4 and might even help these clubs develop some players for the county team. Club players not involved in co team need to be looked after as well.

supersub

• View Profile
« Reply #27617 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »
Club players not involved with county teams are getting a game every week for 6/7 months! I'd say if you asked any of them they would rather play than train!

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #27618 on: January 25, 2017, 12:54:27 AM »
fortnights break in july needs to be re-instated

did the same two years and then bumped the two fixtures that fell in that period to end of season. last year they had the break included

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

mightymad

• View Profile
« Reply #27619 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
All you deluded supporters are only good for running down our county, all sit on their back sides every game waiting to read match reports to try figure out who played well and what we should change about our team. its about time yous all got of your high horse and got out and support our county to help motivate our lads in what we need so much, to help give down players that drive again that they need. RANT OVER

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #27620 on: January 25, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
All you deluded supporters are only good for running down our county, all sit on their back sides every game waiting to read match reports to try figure out who played well and what we should change about our team. its about time yous all got of your high horse and got out and support our county to help motivate our lads in what we need so much, to help give down players that drive again that they need. RANT OVER

Only good for running down the County?? I'm sure a right few of the posters are doing there bit for the County by coaching or playing Gaelic for their local club... Right to be aggrieved by lack of funding for there clubs with the hard work put in in clubs.. End of the day, Clubs do a hell of a lot for County board and if they feel screwed over they have a right to vent their frustrations. Strong club scene = Strong County team

oileain blues

• View Profile
« Reply #27621 on: January 26, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Mighty mad as someone who played 19 yrs in senior football and for the past 20 yrs being involved in running my club I take great exception to your comments, I accept our county is not in good shape on and of the field but  I believe we are improving , albeit slowly but like a previous post a strong club = a strong county,.
The closed fortnight needs to be re introduced, regular football is good and any postponed matches should be played within the 10 days as per county bye law , I think the proposal regarding postponements by Ballymartin has merit, and I would like to see any decisions regarding
refixing matches be agreed by the clubs and not by the ccc who have shown in the past to be totally inept.The voting on county issues should be made solely by the club representatives with only the county chairman having a vote from the top table , should be an interesting meeting tonight.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #27622 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
Could be interesting. Could also be a witch hunt.

I'm hoping one or two clubs try to lead everyone towards a sensible resolution (and a sensible realisation that county players need to focus solely on county football at certain periods in the calendar) (and a sensible realisation that clubs need protecting from themselves, and that trying to get a match postponed because a few players are absent, should result in large fines and points deductions). Basically a realisation that the show must go on.

My worry is that a lynch mob might form instead. If that happens we could end up with a short season of approximately no games. An OTT prediction perhaps, but if the tail tries too often to wag the dog, eventually the dog might just go for lie down.

downup

• View Profile
« Reply #27623 on: January 26, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
From my experience in club committees and at the few county board meetings I was in attendance there never really seemed to be any thought given to the plight of the club player. Fixtures were tailored around the county team and the club players will just accept whatever is left. It always amazed me that the fixture setters where able to put fixtures at the start of the year on a Friday evening at 6.30 or 6.45pm which was in a lot of cases physically impossible for players to meet and be properly warmed up to play a match. What was ever wrong with Sunday games until the longer evenings?? Then towards the end of the year they fire in a number of Saturday games and to hell with anyone that works. Off course at county board meetings these fixtures are ratified at the beginning of the year so don't come crying through the year if they don't suit you. I don't agree with clubs chopping and changing to suit themselves but how about suiting the majority instead of the few!!
On another note, I have been told that this New Club Down position is a paid role - I mean are we for real!!! Paying someone to fundraise. Who is funding this or does it come out of the proceeds from future club Down members? Was the position advertised? Are there targets set for job performance? etc etc. If this is true then any thought I had of becoming a member is out the window!

DownFanatic

• Floreat Dunum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27624 on: January 26, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
Could be interesting. Could also be a witch hunt.

I'm hoping one or two clubs try to lead everyone towards a sensible resolution (and a sensible realisation that county players need to focus solely on county football at certain periods in the calendar) (and a sensible realisation that clubs need protecting from themselves, and that trying to get a match postponed because a few players are absent, should result in large fines and points deductions). Basically a realisation that the show must go on.

My worry is that a lynch mob might form instead. If that happens we could end up with a short season of approximately no games. An OTT prediction perhaps, but if the tail tries too often to wag the dog, eventually the dog might just go for lie down.

Clubs calling off games for spurious reasons is one of our main problems.
In the past I think our leagues have been run pretty well.
Would still like the July fortnight left free of games.

Down Follower

• View Profile
« Reply #27625 on: January 26, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
Is the July fortnight that big of a deal!! In my experience, players, and management, take holidays at varying times throughout the year. Most try and avoid championship fixtures ok, but they dont go for July fortnight.

mightymad

• View Profile
« Reply #27626 on: January 26, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
Yes Agree with most statement made regarding my previous rant, but I also feel the county board need to be investing money back into clubs to help provide clubs with new facilities, gyms etc. I see in which many clubs have now got new quality gyms for their players to have great use of. But the likes of Ballyholland them poor lads gym is in an awful state no wonder whenever you walk into gym tech in newry you see most of their team.

DownFanatic

• Floreat Dunum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27627 on: January 26, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »
Is the July fortnight that big of a deal!! In my experience, players, and management, take holidays at varying times throughout the year. Most try and avoid championship fixtures ok, but they dont go for July fortnight.

In my experience players generally book for that fortnight as they know they will have it free. It is the only time from the season starts that we definitely know is free from fixtures.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #27628 on: January 26, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
Yes Agree with most statement made regarding my previous rant, but I also feel the county board need to be investing money back into clubs to help provide clubs with new facilities, gyms etc. I see in which many clubs have now got new quality gyms for their players to have great use of. But the likes of Ballyholland them poor lads gym is in an awful state no wonder whenever you walk into gym tech in newry you see most of their team.

Have fun with your fishing fella.

mightymad

• View Profile
« Reply #27629 on: January 26, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »

Have fun with your fishing fella.
Fishing?? its stating the facts, you must be from up the hill cant face the fact once again, "ballyholland men don't need fancy gym equipment" LOL enjoy another successful year. #PoachersArmy