Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Just curious at how exactly we are in Debt? We don't have our own County facilities the likes of Tyrone do, some club grounds aren't as half as good as other county club grounds are (Fermanagh, Armagh, Tyrone, Derry)

Mourne Red

Quote from: rosskarr on January 23, 2017, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on January 23, 2017, 09:44:09 AM
Just curious at how exactly we are in Debt? We don't have our own County facilities the likes of Tyrone do, some club grounds aren't as half as good as other county club grounds are (Fermanagh, Armagh, Tyrone, Derry)
What planet have you been living on if you don't know how and why we are in debt?
Earth

outinfront

Why would you assume that everyone is in the know about the financial f'up?
The lad just asked a question.
Wasn't like it happened last year or year before.

outinfront

Right.

I don't consider myself in the loop enough to know the ins and outs but basically it went something like this.
Down were offered a load for st Patrick's park. Were greedy holding out for more and it fell through.
Meanwhile bought a load of land which was basically useless. Market crashed. Had to sell it on. Lost a load of money. Down owe Croke who bailed us out. So we are supposed to fund academies etc while other money goes to paying the debt.

That's what I think happened. hope that answers your question.

outinfront

Any word on a confirmed calendar and fixtures yet?

Smurfy123

Why did it cost £600000 to get out of the deal?
Who made the deal in the first place?

pointman2

Some business heads - buying 'replacement' lands before they had secured completion of the sale of the land that they did own!

Interesting to know how many of those involved in those decisions are still part of or connected to or used by the County Board.

pointman2

A short version would suffice!!

gaaman2016

Quote from: pointman2 on January 23, 2017, 05:43:57 PM
Some business heads - buying 'replacement' lands before they had secured completion of the sale of the land that they did own!

Interesting to know how many of those involved in those decisions are still part of or connected to or used by the County Board.

Definately still some involved (including executive). Why do the clubs nver vote to remove these people?

whitegoodman

For those of us not in the know where has the rest of th debt come from that has crippled us to the extend that county board are struggling to write a cheque?

Is it the new stand? If so why build it if they couldn't afford to?  I don't think its the cost of the senior team so I'm struggling to see where all this debt has come from.

SHEEDY

i was surprised to read in the irish news on saturday that niall madine hadnt been asked to join the down panel. if you could keep him fit and committed and going by the article it seems that he wants to play for down then surely he would be an asset to the panel.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Yes disappointed to read that, would be a strange one if they don't ask him back if he is prepared to commit to the season.

gaaman2016

Major problem Co Board have at the minute is that the loan from Croke Park is in € yet majority of their income is in £. I heard that they have to pay €10,000 a month to Croke Park and that the poor value of £ is crippling them at the minute. I think they have to pay this until 2028/29 which is concerning for the immediate future of the County sides if we are putting the current slump down to a lack of finances/ centre of excellence

Leftmidfield

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 23, 2017, 09:15:34 PM
Yes disappointed to read that, would be a strange one if they don't ask him back if he is prepared to commit to the season.
I hear Ryan Mallon has left the panel.

delgany

It's a pity Down Gaa weren't "in the know " with the RHI burners.  They could've cleared there account .......not in DUP however !!!