Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

Quote from: West Down Rover on February 07, 2017, 02:20:59 PM
Was at the match and was fairly content with the first half. However the lack of player and management experience at this level soon showed.  Pete McGrath with Quigley, Corrigan and other Fermanagh player's experience prevailed. 
Poor calls by the Down forwards blasting the ball into backs/goalie (like a u14 glorying!) rather than fisting over the bar or looking for passing options plus a lack of self belief in taking a shot for a point from the side line, instead they recycled the ball back the other way.  Down goalie kick outs and poor mid field play were also our downfall.
Certain now that the Down Senior football team and Management is a 'holding position' until new talent or some of the older experience lads return.  The Down players have indeed talent, but need self belief and I am afraid more experience, which means further losses until the ship is turned around.
I can see a good future having attended development squad matches in 2016 at u14 and u15 level.  Also we must recognise the strong Minor club teams in Down.  The future, perhaps 3-5 years is Red/Black and positive.
A good first post and welcome to the Board.While recognising your positivity about U14 and U15,I don't understand your reference to strong Minor teams when these teams don't get to shine until the later knock-out stages of the MFC in August and September by which time we'll probably be out of competition in the Ulster/All-Ireland stages at County level.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: wobbller on February 07, 2017, 09:19:05 PM
Was at the match and was fairly content with the first half. However the lack of player and management experience at this level soon showed.  Pete McGrath with Quigley, Corrigan and other Fermanagh player's experience prevailed. 
Poor calls by the Down forwards blasting the ball into backs/goalie (like a u14 glorying!) rather than fisting over the bar or looking for passing options plus a lack of self belief in taking a shot for a point from the side line, instead they recycled the ball back the other way.  Down goalie kick outs and poor mid field play were also our downfall.
Certain now that the Down Senior football team and Management is a 'holding position' until new talent or some of the older experience lads return.  The Down players have indeed talent, but need self belief and I am afraid more experience, which means further losses until the ship is turned around.
I can see a good future having attended development squad matches in 2016 at u14 and u15 level.  Also we must recognise the strong Minor club teams in Down.  The future, perhaps 3-5 years is Red/Black and positive.
A good first post and welcome to the Board.While recognising your positivity about U14 and U15,I don't understand your reference to strong Minor teams when these teams don't get to shine until the later knock-out stages of the MFC in August and September by which time we'll probably be out of competition in the Ulster/All-Ireland stages at County level.

I presume the point being made is that the strong minor teams will eventually supply future senior sides with some decent players. You could counter that with the fact that the county minor team hasn't won very many games over the past few years.

wobbller

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 07, 2017, 09:25:36 PM
Quote from: wobbller on February 07, 2017, 09:19:05 PM

I presume the point being made is that the strong minor teams will eventually supply future senior sides with some decent players. You could counter that with the fact that the county minor team hasn't won very many games over the past few years.
Nor has our U21's and Seniors so U14-17 is the future while hoping the Minors do well this year.

snoopdog

So should we waste our time and hard earned cash going to support a team that clearly isnt the best representation of our county. Surely Pete McGrath needs to be involved again in some capacity as soon as he hangs up the boots with Fermanagh. We are getting worse. A defeat away to Clare and we face another year without a win.  If people believe this is currently a holding mgmt team then Maybe we should withdraw from competition until the county board can be bothered to offer the job to someone who will get the best out of players and the best players on the pitch . Its a f**king disgrace .

outinfront

Good youth development will be key going forward yes. But you look at how Fermanagh have progressed in 3 years. That is not down to youth development and they have a small pick. So it has to be down to the correct training methods and strategy and also the best players available playing and also the players fully buying in and giving their all. Also the idea that Down club football is poor I  think is not true. We have had teams regularly competing well in provincial competitions at intermediate and senior. However all that being said we must  continue to support the lads through the hard times too. We can't give off at lads who are giving  4/5 sessions a week to play county. I have no doubt they are committed to the cause.

SamFever

Quote from: outinfront on February 07, 2017, 10:58:15 PM
Good youth development will be key going forward yes. But you look at how Fermanagh have progressed in 3 years. That is not down to youth development and they have a small pick. So it has to be down to the correct training methods and strategy and also the best players available playing and also the players fully buying in and giving their all. Also the idea that Down club football is poor I  think is not true. We have had teams regularly competing well in provincial competitions at intermediate and senior. However all that being said we must  continue to support the lads through the hard times too. We can't give off at lads who are giving  4/5 sessions a week to play county. I have no doubt they are committed to the cause.
So the players are blameless? And it's just Eamon Burns and his backroom team are the problem?

outinfront

No. i didn't directly blame anyone.
I would say however that any of the games I've been to or watched I have not seen lack of effort.

SamFever

Quote from: outinfront on February 08, 2017, 08:45:37 PM
No. i didn't directly blame anyone.
I would say however that any of the games I've been to or watched I have not seen lack of effort.
So all is Ok!Phewww!!!!

supersub

Quote from: The Raven on February 03, 2017, 02:00:34 AM
Quote from: rosskarr on February 02, 2017, 11:30:47 PM
Quote from: supersub on February 02, 2017, 08:27:53 AM
Deafening silence from the Co Board meeting last week. Anything of note?
Ask your Club delegate.

Don't think he needs to ask. I suspect he may have been there himself??

You can get banned from the board for less. A few too many gins I suspect.

No one from Rostrevor was able to attend as far as I am aware, which is why I was asking.

outinfront

Sam Fever I don't really get the point you are trying to make? You appear to be arguing against my post but I'm not entirely sure why?
Are you defending burns and questioning the players? It's not clear.
To clarify, It is obvious that things are not going well and that we have been on a slide for a while.  I have alluded to the Fermanagh situation where obvious improvement has occurred. Fitness is good, strategy is good, players are playing well and confidence is high.
I do not believe things are going well with Down (our competitive record since promotion to div1 clearly supports that) but I do believe we should continue to support. That does not mean we can't have grievances with the current situation.

SamFever

Quote from: outinfront on February 09, 2017, 09:51:23 AM
Sam Fever I don't really get the point you are trying to make? You appear to be arguing against my post but I'm not entirely sure why?
Are you defending burns and questioning the players? It's not clear.
To clarify, It is obvious that things are not going well and that we have been on a slide for a while.  I have alluded to the Fermanagh situation where obvious improvement has occurred. Fitness is good, strategy is good, players are playing well and confidence is high.
I do not believe things are going well with Down (our competitive record since promotion to div1 clearly supports that) but I do believe we should continue to support. That does not mean we can't have grievances with the current situation.
I wasn't really arguing against your posts,I was more trying to understand your position which you now have clearly done so.

SamFever

out in front,I see you're down to visit us in May in Div2.How's pre-season?

outinfront

No sweat. Yeah looking forward to new season. Preseason? 😜

wobbller

No Down team announced yet. (as usual...........................

SHEEDY

Quote from: wobbller on February 10, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
  No Down team announced yet. (as usual...........................
'apparently' all has been well in the camp this week and has been well for the past few weeks........ ;)
nil satis nisi optimum