Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightymad

Its been very quiet on here last few days, up the hill must be looking for a new gym now that they realise they are miles behind any other club in county. Even the likes of Downpatrick (no disrespect) have got a new gym for their players to get in the best possible shape to compete with top teams. BH still think there hard men walking around with their disco weights. its about time to wake up and smell the cookie crumble.

Ed Hardy

Another good display from Madine yesterday for uuj. Surely Eamon Burns must call him up to the county panel! Any ideas on the team to face Fermanagh this weekend?

supersub

Deafening silence from the Co Board meeting last week. Anything of note?

SHEEDY

that was a complete shambles, getting beat by 9 points at home by fermanagh is a total embarrassment. kick outs were a disaster, we  hardly won a ball in the middle third. fermanagh won at their ease and really should have won by more. playing like that we'll go another year without winning a match, a 2nd relegation in a row beckons.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

It's a long time since Down supporters were leaving a home game against Fermanagh with 15 minutes to go, and it must be even longer since we last lost 13 league and championship matches in a row, but we probably should not have been surprised.

Apart from a decent spell in the second quarter, our display was very much in line with last season's performances - disjointed, sporadic with no lack of effort but largely directionless.

Cunningham's kick-outs were initially reasonable but disintegrated after the break and handed easy possession to Fermanagh. Defence was not our worst sector as the two McGoverns stuck to their task but we still conceded far too regularly under pressure.

Carr and Flynn tried hard but looked like half backs who were pressed into midfield and our attack appeared to have very little shape. Davidson had a couple of flashes of quality but there was not much else happening and, while Magee and Havern tried hard, they presented very little threat and it was difficult to understand other options from the bench were not given a chance in their place before the end.

It is going to be very tough to lift the squad for the trip to Clare, but, if we do not get anything in Ennis, there is a serious danger of drawing a blank for the rest of the league programme. These are difficult days for Down followers and signs of optimism remain hard to detect.

urbangael

The lack of structure, organisation and awareness from our management is alarming. Down looked like a bunch of strangers that were playing together for the first time. Serious issues with kick outs. Not switched on at free kicks and general lack of game plan is not something one would not expect to see from a county side.

Some might say the players just aren't there but the lack of passion and negative body language from management seems to have spread to the players which isn't surprising. Lots of fans also questioning team selection.... the players on the bench looked like better options to start the match. I'd be very surprised if we dont get relegated.

As for the co board.... well that's just a massive mess! Time to sort priorities lads....forget about asking for money for a while and sending lads on jollies. Not many folk want to fund an unsuccessful team. I think the club down direct debit will have to bite the dust! Wee Pete or Jim McCorry don't look like bad options now recruitment panel!!!

OgraAnDun

An easy way of getting through to the final round of the CB's "Last Man Standing" competition is just to pick whoever is playing us every week.

clowry13

Jim McCorry got sacked after gaining permotion to division 1. Down GAA in a total shambles at all levels. Leaving Newry tonight after watching probably the worst Down Team performance I have ever seen. Bad times getting hammered by Fermanagh in your home patch.

Verticalball

Not been on this in a while but feel the need to get involved. Firstly I feel that Fermanagh are more capable of an Ulster title this yr. Having said that, it's obviously about making the most of what is available to you. I'm sure that many would remember the fallout with blaney and mcartan pre championship 1994? Pete McGrath realised that he needed to get everyone on board.

Therefore, I have a question for you all - would a half fit Marty Clarke be on the Dublin panel? I think we all know the answer. At 29 we have had 2 seasons to appreciate his footballing talents.

Management is not all about dictatorship. Proper man management is sorely lacking, therefore fans are being deprived of watching one of the best players of the modern era pull on a Down jersey. Now we can argue all day long about this but we all know what should be happening.  As a lifelong Down supporter I am dismayed by the status quo.

imagine

Quote from: Verticalball on February 05, 2017, 01:35:00 AM
Not been on this in a while but feel the need to get involved. Firstly I feel that Fermanagh are more capable of an Ulster title this yr. Having said that, it's obviously about making the most of what is available to you. I'm sure that many would remember the fallout with blaney and mcartan pre championship 1994? Pete McGrath realised that he needed to get everyone on board.

Therefore, I have a question for you all - would a half fit Marty Clarke be on the Dublin panel? I think we all know the answer. At 29 we have had 2 seasons to appreciate his footballing talents.

Management is not all about dictatorship. Proper man management is sorely lacking, therefore fans are being deprived of watching one of the best players of the modern era pull on a Down jersey. Now we can argue all day long about this but we all know what should be happening.  As a lifelong Down supporter I am dismayed by the status quo.
What are you really talking about here? A half-fit MC wouldn't make the Dublin junior team.As he said tonight his days of County Football are over.What a waste! Marty and  brother JC are kings of the Bull-sh-t! It's going to be painful.
     Anyone going to Ennis?

Verticalball

I think my point is clear enough. He should be there in some capacity and the country is laughing at us. Correct me if I'm wrong but at no stage did Clarke mention that he felt unable to play county football last night. Change of management mentioned as a factor which is very frustrating. I believe that Clarke would be on every panel in the country yet we can't find a place for him. As I mentioned Pete McGrath swallowed his pride in 94 as he knew the players involved were essential to any hopes of success, surely the current management could do likewise. We certainly won't win an all-ireland but the situation is plain daft. As I said I don't comment very often and I believe the players that are there are doing their best in my eyes, but surely even they are bemused by the state of affairs.

imagine

Quote from: Verticalball on February 05, 2017, 08:17:20 AM
I think my point is clear enough. He should be there in some capacity and the country is laughing at us. Correct me if I'm wrong but at no stage did Clarke mention that he felt unable to play county football last night. Change of management mentioned as a factor which is very frustrating. I believe that Clarke would be on every panel in the country yet we can't find a place for him. As I mentioned Pete McGrath swallowed his pride in 94 as he knew the players involved were essential to any hopes of success, surely the current management could do likewise. We certainly won't win an all-ireland but the situation is plain daft. As I said I don't comment very often and I believe the players that are there are doing their best in my eyes, but surely even they are bemused by the state of affairs.
We can argue all day/night but MC is gone.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: imagine on February 05, 2017, 01:10:43 AM
Quote from: imagine on June 26, 2016, 09:45:41 PM
Does any of the posters on here go to County Board or have any influence on whoever goes from their Club?Are we at rock bottom or do we move next Spring to Div 3v
Div3- the holy keepers of Down GAA need to disappear and try another approach.Emergency County Board Meeting required and the current County Managers and County Board need to step aside asap.

Who do you want to take over as management of the senior team?

SHEEDY

Last night was a night to try and finally get a win, build confidence and get the payers, management and supporters pulling in the same direction. To do that we needed to have our best team playing from the start, clearly thay wasnt the case.
Eamonn burns is obviously a legend of down football and is a lovely fella and all that but I think its obvious he is not a county manager. Theres only 1 way we are going this year and thats down to division 3.
nil satis nisi optimum

imagine

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 05, 2017, 09:13:23 AM
Quote from: imagine on February 05, 2017, 01:10:43 AM
Quote from: imagine on June 26, 2016, 09:45:41 PM
Does any of the posters on here go to County Board or have any influence on whoever goes from their Club?Are we at rock bottom or do we move next Spring to Div 3v
Div3- the holy keepers of Down GAA need to disappear and try another approach.Emergency County Board Meeting required and the current County Managers and County Board need to step aside asap.

Who do you want to take over as management of the senior team?
May as well be someone from 91/94 as that's the usual solution.McCorry was an exception but they quickly went back to the Down Way after one season.He had only got us promoted.