Speeding

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, November 04, 2007, 08:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 04, 2007, 10:28:28 PM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 04, 2007, 08:44:53 PM
The Garda just wrote the details down in a little note book there was no form filled in or anything. He was actually a nice guy, no lectures or anything to be homest he seemed more interested in our cocker spaniel who was in the back of the car with the kids.

He should have given you a ticket, which you would have been obliged to pay. I doubt you will hear any more about it.

It must be great to be able to choose your Irishness when it suits you ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 04, 2007, 10:26:03 PM
Quote from: Tankie on November 04, 2007, 09:00:00 PM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 04, 2007, 08:31:40 PM
Quote from: Tankie on November 04, 2007, 08:17:57 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on November 04, 2007, 08:12:18 PM
Were you towing a caravan at the time or a load of tarmac?

;D my thoughts exactly. we don't need that sort of driving here we have enough road deaths!!!

So Tankie, can you explain how the comment ' were you towing a caravan at the time or a load of tarmac' echoes your thoughts exactly. What have you derived from that comment.

Would you like to explain why you put innocent peoples lives in danger when driving like a mad man doing 91 in a 50 Zone?

Point is I wasn't driving like a madman. I was close to the end of a 50 kph section, the road ahead was completely clear, there were no pedestrians about and no junctions from which vehicles might emerge. The car in front was going slowly my 91 kph was as a result of a burst of speed to overtake rather than an average speed, I had a wife, 2 kids and a dog in the car so I wasn't going to take any chances with their lives. However as I said I had no excuse but I'm not going to be lectured by someone like you. So that's my explanation. Can you now explain what you derived from the comment ' were you towing a caravan at the time or a load of tarmac'

I thought that the poster was saying you may have been carrying a full load and that may have increased your speed. But sorry i was mistaken!

And don't worry i wont lecture you, generally you law breakers get that from the Garda (Irish Police)
Grand Slam Saturday!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 04, 2007, 10:28:28 PM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 04, 2007, 08:44:53 PM
The Garda just wrote the details down in a little note book there was no form filled in or anything. He was actually a nice guy, no lectures or anything to be homest he seemed more interested in our cocker spaniel who was in the back of the car with the kids.

He should have given you a ticket, which you would have been obliged to pay. I doubt you will hear any more about it.

No he said he passes the details on to some company that deals with fixed penalty notices and they will send out the fine which is €80 if paid within 30 days, increasing to €150 and then, if not paid, a prosecution.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 04, 2007, 10:39:05 PM
Must be a new way of dealing with speeders from the North. I got a ticket on the M1 a few years ago. Though I have to say the Gardas attitude done more to slow me down than any ticket, he was spot on, no silly lecture, just a bit of common sense.

I don't know about whether its a new way of dealing with speeders from the North but as you say it was a much better way of dealing with speeding per se than giving a lecture. His attitude made me feel guilty whereas a lecture would have made me feel angry.

Tankie

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 04, 2007, 10:47:03 PM
Quote from: Tankie on November 04, 2007, 10:29:55 PM
It must be great to be able to choose your Irishness when it suits you ::)

Nothing to do with "Irishness", just a bit of common sense, but that would be way above your head.

Should you not be out looking for your dealer  ;)

Typical Nordie answer ::)

Doing any knee-cappings tonight ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Orior

Quote from: SammyG on November 04, 2007, 09:51:34 PM
Quote from: Sky Blue on November 04, 2007, 08:47:22 PM
If you pay the fine you're ok. If you don't your car and caravan will be lifted. The garda have these new computer things that link into the system in the North that has car registation details.
Complete bollix, the NI system doesn't even link properly with the rest of the UK, nevermind linking across the border. However in the next 12-18 months the European wide licencing system will be active and you will be able to be tracked for infringements in any EU country.

Are you confusing things with Schengen? I think the two forces exchange VRNs by fax.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tyssam5

The cops (North and South) are always giving out these easy tickets at the edge of towns, they should be out where the really dangerous driving occurs on open country roads instead of manufacturing bullshit stats.

armaghniac

They are linking the systems in these islands though and if you have accumulated a lot of points which couldn't be allocated then these may all hit you together.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Did the dog have a seat belt?

Shooshoo Duff was a Drogheda character who was waved down by a Garda once in West St. Having no licence, he knew he was in trouble, so he drove on about 50 yards before stopping and by the time the guard came up to the car, Shooshoo was sitting in the passenger seat and his dog was in the driver's seat with his paws on the wheel.

"Can I see your driver's licence" , says the guard.

"What would I want a driver's licence for?", says Shooshoo, "sure I don't drive".  He went on to explain that the dog was driving.

Shooshoo was duly summoned to court for driving without a licence and he kept up his story that it was the dog that was driving the car. Justice Dunleavy decided to play along. "And does the dog have a licence?", asked the Judge. "He does, Judge", says Shooshoo. "Well can you show it to the court?", says the judge. Shooshoo had come prepared and he produced a dog licence.

I don't think he got away with it though.

SouthArmaghBandit

I got done in Dundalk in 2006 (January I think). I was doing 63 KPH in a 50. Guard pulled me in an give me a lecture, pointed out that I had two bald tyres and was using a phnoe when he caught me. Never heard another thing about it.

Thank God he didn't breathalyse me!

ardal

Only 31km over the limit Mighty and you'll get a €80 or so fine, fecking lucky bast#rd; I'd string you up by the goolies.
Christ I'd love be have the confidence ( and driving ability) to spped like you :'(

SouthArmaghBandit

Quote from: ardal on November 08, 2007, 10:26:16 PM
Only 31km over the limit Mighty and you'll get a €80 or so fine, fecking lucky bast#rd; I'd string you up by the goolies.
Christ I'd love be have the confidence ( and driving ability) to spped like you :'(

And him towing a caravan to boot!!

Balls of steel!!

Respect!

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tankie

its grand they were south of the boarder so apparently it aint the same! ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on November 09, 2007, 09:26:22 AM
its grand they were south of the boarder so apparently it aint the same! ::)
You'd think a true gael like himself would have no problem obeying the laws of the Republic
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.