NFL Division 2 - 2021

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2021, 08:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: APM on June 15, 2021, 07:13:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2021, 05:54:56 PMOh to be in Ulster or Connacht and genuinely believe you have a chance at provincial honours. Finished with a very young team today. Kildare's attitude was good, Meath look like they need to freshen up management. Old heads pulled them back into it and remarkable considering Kildare's dominance for 60 mins almost pulled something out of it but not what you want to see when trying to develop and build a squad. So many teams lie between 3rd ranked and 14th ranked that it would be an exciting championship if Dublin and Kerry didn't exist. Well maybe just Dublin.

McEntee comes across very reactionary. You would imagine this year will be the end of the road for him. 
Hard to believe that Meath are where they are. Boylan was there for 23 years and in the 16 years since they have had 6 managers and done nothing.  With their populations, Meath and Kildare should be doing so much better.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1330254398535176204
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

Cillian O Connor going to be out for the Summer with damaged Achilles.

Armagh18

Quote from: moysider on June 16, 2021, 12:42:50 PM
Cillian O Connor going to be out for the Summer with damaged Achilles.
ffs. That really is a shame.

APM

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2021, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: APM on June 15, 2021, 07:13:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2021, 05:54:56 PMOh to be in Ulster or Connacht and genuinely believe you have a chance at provincial honours. Finished with a very young team today. Kildare's attitude was good, Meath look like they need to freshen up management. Old heads pulled them back into it and remarkable considering Kildare's dominance for 60 mins almost pulled something out of it but not what you want to see when trying to develop and build a squad. So many teams lie between 3rd ranked and 14th ranked that it would be an exciting championship if Dublin and Kerry didn't exist. Well maybe just Dublin.

McEntee comes across very reactionary. You would imagine this year will be the end of the road for him. 
Hard to believe that Meath are where they are. Boylan was there for 23 years and in the 16 years since they have had 6 managers and done nothing.  With their populations, Meath and Kildare should be doing so much better.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1330254398535176204

I agree with that the financial doping of Dublin is a major problem.  But we have teams in Ulster (Donegal, Tyrone), Connacht (Mayo) and Munster (Kerry) that will at least give Dublin the semblance of a game.  Meath and Kildare haven't even been close to that standard, yet benefit from some of the same factors (population) that have helped Dublin and probably don't exist in some of the other Division 1 teams.  They should be in a more competitive position than what they are. It's like they have given up the ghost at all levels. 

rodney trotter

Kildare haven't done too bad underage recently
They should look to trial having all the Leinster games outside of Croke Park including the final. 
Dublin would still likely win but make it competitive if nothing else.
It should have been done years ago  but the other Leinster counties don't seem to make any objections because of finance

Last year with no crowds the games didn't need to be in Coker for Leinster

Rossfan

Hello Div 2.
I've a feeling we could be here for a longer stay this time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2021, 09:25:00 PM
Hello Div 2.
I wouldn't think it. No one in D2 look like pulling up trees. Yourselves and Galway should be aiming to come straight back up!

macker15

Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2021, 09:25:00 PM
Hello Div 2.

Yerra

rosnarun

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 16, 2021, 02:34:50 PM
Kildare haven't done too bad underage recently
They should look to trial having all the Leinster games outside of Croke Park including the final. 
Dublin would still likely win but make it competitive if nothing else.
It should have been done years ago  but the other Leinster counties don't seem to make any objections because of finance

Last year with no crowds the games didn't need to be in Coker for Leinster
yeah move the whole thing to newbridge
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Captain Scarlet

I agree here in this sense that Kildare people will rightly say how hard it is to compete with the Dubs, but every county could suffer at their hands and even if you look at All-Ireland semi-finals and finals you see that.

BUT, there is no reason why Meath and Kildare should not be harnessing their advantages to perform at Division 1 level. There was a survey done years back and Kildare were one of the very few teams that did not have a single player travelling from outside the county to train.

Maynooth University give lads scholarships and we are on Dublin's doorstep with options at the PWCs and KPMGs too. And many of our lads do beat the Dubs at underage but then at senior it just all falls away.

PS I come in peace on this one and I will say IF it is true I am disgusted BUT with professional TV and Press cameras zoomed in on the row v Meath there seems to be no evidence at all of the spit. I saw a Meath lad dropping the knee on a Kildare player's head mind.
Like surely something would have been thrown up at this stage?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 17, 2021, 11:14:49 AM
I agree here in this sense that Kildare people will rightly say how hard it is to compete with the Dubs, but every county could suffer at their hands and even if you looks at All-Ireland semi-finals and finals you see that.

BUT, there is no reason why Meath and Kildare should not be harnessing their advantages to perform at Division 1 level. There was a survey done years back and Kildare were one of the very few teams that did not have a single player travelling from outside the county to train.

Maynooth University give lads scholarships and we are on Dublin's doorstep with options at the PWCs and KPMGs too. And many of our lads do beat the Dubs at underage but then at senior it just all falls away.

PS I come in peace on this one and I will say IF it is true I am disgusted BUT with professional TV and Press cameras zoomed in on the row v Meath there seems to be no evidence at all of the spit. I saw a Meath lad dropping the knee on a Kildare player's head mind.
Like surely something would have been thrown up at this stage?
With the ever increasing populations of both those counties they should definitely be operating in D1, at a higher level than ourselves and Monaghan for sure.

Laois Rising

This argument that Kildare and Meath should be doing better than they are is slightly unfair. It is exceptionally hard to maintain positively, motivate players, develop a team long term when you are coming up against Dublin season after season in the Leinster championship. Having to try overcome them year in, year out to win a provincial title would take the wind out of any teams sails. Take the Kildare team of 2017 that lost to Dublin by 8/9 points in a Leinster final with nearly a full compliment of their best players available at the time and playing some fantastic football- I think they scored 1-17 on the day. That Kildare team was at its peak and still fell well short ultimately of the Dubs. Very hard to come back the following year with the same enthusiasm and dedication knowing that even if you do everything right again you are still going to fall short. In other provinces you still have that carrot of if you get things right you could challenge for a provincial title- that what keeps players motivated and returning year on year with some enthusiasm for playing intercounty football e.g. counties like Roscommon, Cavan, Monaghan, Cork who can realistically target provincial titles. Counties like Laois, Westmeath and Meath who would be of a similar standard to some of these counties cannot.

Rossfan

In Counties like Cavan, Ros, Monaghan etc Gaelic football is the only serious sport.
That wouldn't be the case in all those big half jackeen commuter towns where a large proportion of the population of Meath and Kikdare live.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2021, 12:33:25 PM
In Counties like Cavan, Ros, Monaghan etc Gaelic football is the only serious sport.
That wouldn't be the case in all those big half jackeen commuter towns where a large proportion of the population of Meath and Kikdare live.

Number of football teams registered in 2020

Cork   1525
Dublin   1443
Meath   808
Kildare   778
Tipperary   667
Kerry   643
Mayo   627
Galway   575
Donegal   524
Louth   522
Limerick   501
Tyrone   495
Waterford   462
Wexford   418
Down   380
Cavan   379
Clare   344
Armagh   335
Antrim   319
Monaghan   314
Derry   303
Wicklow   301
Roscommon   293
Westmeath   293
Laois   281
Sligo   253
Longford   231
Kilkenny   226
Offaly   213
Fermanagh   206
Carlow   166
Leitrim   162

Number of football teams registered in 2009

Cork      1300
Dublin      918
Kerry      631
Meath      590
Tipperary      584
Galway      542
Tyrone      534
Limerick      512
Mayo      491
Kildare      483
Donegal      450
Louth      426
Wexford      419
Antrim      385
Cavan      363
Armagh      353
Down      346
Waterford      309
Clare      294
Derry      289
Kilkenny      283
Monaghan      282
Wicklow      277
Westmeath      240
Laois      238
Roscommon      215
Sligo      210
Leitrim      188
Carlow      178
Longford      172
Offaly      166
Fermanagh      152

Change in number of registered football teams

Cork   225
Dublin   525
Kerry   12
Meath   218
Tipperary   83
Galway   33
Tyrone   -39
Limerick   -11
Mayo   136
Kildare   295
Donegal   74
Louth   96
Wexford   -1
Antrim   -66
Cavan   16
Armagh   -18
Down   34
Waterford   153
Clare   50
Derry   14
Kilkenny   -57
Monaghan   32
Wicklow   24
Westmeath   53
Laois   43
Roscommon   78
Sligo   43
Leitrim   -26
Carlow   -12
Longford   59
Offaly   47
Fermanagh   54

Population in Ireland increased by about 536k over this time period.