Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 03, 2021, 07:49:39 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 02, 2021, 08:52:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 08:15:58 PM
Keeping D1 status is a major plus.
Getting 7 games (hopefully) against top opposition can bring a team on a lot.
Our lads have 3 weeks between the Play offs and Galway so it will be what AC considers our best team v Armagh.
Not sure why they are such favourites... we bet them last October in the Gaelic Grounds.

Armagh losing 1 of their 3 group games and Roscommon losing all 3 games would be one of the reasons. I'd expect these relegation play offs to be as close to championship pace and intensity as it gets and should give a very good idea to where the 4 teams really are before the championship.

To be fair to Roscommon, if we were in their group and they in ours, results would well have been different. The favourites tag does not sit comfortably with me
this game is a toss up but if Armagh are to show that they have learned/grown over the past 2 years then i expect them to win, if not it means we arent moving forward as a team

lurganblue

I have a bit more confidence in an Armagh win here, and that just doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Stopping runners through the middle still seems to be a problem and no doubt Roscommon have the players to exploit that. I still think we can do enough damage at the other end ourselves. Massive game for both teams.

seafoid

McGeeney is a big plus for Roscommon
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on June 02, 2021, 10:40:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 02, 2021, 10:14:32 PM
I wonder will they have winners medals and 2 versions of the cup at the games for the winning teams, in the event it's not a Dublin v Tyrone final?

Would go down in the record books as an NFL joint winners, not to be sneezed at.
A hand from each captain holding the cup aloft and a joint chorus from both teams  of 'Championes, Championes, Ole Ole Ole'

Then they'll have to play Rock Paper Scissors to see who keeps the cup for the first 6 months.

Ronnie

APM

smelmoth

Armagh vs Ros is a huge game. Big for both teams but absolutely huge for us. It's been a long road back to here.

We know that Dublin and Kerry are way ahead of us. Depressingly it is difficult to conceive of how those respective gaps could be closed.

We have to admit that Donegal, Tyrone and Mayo are ahead of us. Not by as much but definitively ahead. Bottom 3 in Division 1 looks like a ceiling for us in the near term. On that basis you will suffer relegation at some point. Roscommon are in that yo-yo territory already. Relegation is not a disaster but it makes everything this group of players is trying to achieve that bit more difficult

macker15

Roscommon and Galway both strong favourites here. Were told here how competitive Connacht is. Time for Galway and the Rossies to shit or get off the pot. Mayo will need a competitive for their All Ireland semifinal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macker15 on June 04, 2021, 04:02:50 PM
Roscommon and Galway both strong favourites here. Were told here how competitive Connacht is. Time for Galway and the Rossies to shit or get off the pot. Mayo will need a competitive for their All Ireland semifinal.

Galway and Roscommon don't exist just to improve Mayo's AI chances. They'll be hoping to nab the Nestor Cup themselves and I would not bet against either claiming a Connacht Title.

Rossfan

Ye look the best bet at this stage Bunker but the games won't be be played till July.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Roscommon have had the slight edge on Armagh over the last few years but on current form, and with home advantage Armagh are justified favourites. Roscommon have been flat since the Mayo encounter last year though we saw some signs in the Kerry game of the intensity that won us Connacht in 2019, beating both Mayo and Galway away en-route, coming back. But how much was that Kerry in 3rd gear, and we still lost by 6 points. If all Ros players hit form, I would expect us to win a close encounter. But thus far we are very reliant on Ciaran Murtagh and Donie Smith hitting long range points and that's not sustainable. Connacht will be very difficult. Despite being in Div 2 Mayo is a top 4 team, and Galway and Ros are top 8. On a given day, any of the 3 could end up Connacht Champions - and then the Dubs await in semi to beat all 3. But I give a nervous vote to Ros to rid themselves of the yo-yo moniker.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2021, 04:25:20 PM

Galway and Roscommon don't exist just to improve Mayo's AI chances. They'll be hoping to nab the Nestor Cup themselves and I would not bet against either claiming a Connacht Title.
;D ;D
Will ya get away up the yard, will ya?
Mayo will clock the pair of yiz.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

galwayman

Ahh no we're not actually.
We've done nothing to warrant being favourites at all in our game not to mind being strong favourites.
It being played in Clones is a plus for Monaghan too.
Pp have both teams at evens.
I expect Monaghan to beat us - we are very very average.

Blowitupref

Quote from: smelmoth on June 04, 2021, 01:06:42 PM
Armagh vs Ros is a huge game. Big for both teams but absolutely huge for us. It's been a long road back to here.

We know that Dublin and Kerry are way ahead of us. Depressingly it is difficult to conceive of how those respective gaps could be closed.

We have to admit that Donegal, Tyrone and Mayo are ahead of us. Not by as much but definitively ahead. Bottom 3 in Division 1 looks like a ceiling for us in the near term. On that basis you will suffer relegation at some point. Roscommon are in that yo-yo territory already. Relegation is not a disaster but it makes everything this group of players is trying to achieve that bit more difficult

A case to be made that Division 1 should become a 10 team group.

As Mayo found out last year the trap door is too easy to fall through in the current format and the likes of Armagh, Roscommon, Meath need consecutive years in Div 1 to develop.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

APM

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 04, 2021, 04:51:32 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 04, 2021, 01:06:42 PM

A case to be made that Division 1 should become a 10 team group.

As Mayo found out last year the trap door is too easy to fall through in the current format and the likes of Armagh, Roscommon, Meath need consecutive years in Div 1 to develop.

Wouldn't disagree with that as an Armagh man.  However, I think there would be a stronger argument to have smaller divisions with games played home and away.   I posted this a few weeks back and don't think anyone commented on it, so I'll add it again here.   
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=29928.msg2053334#msg2053334