Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Donagh on November 24, 2008, 11:23:48 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 20, 2008, 09:34:01 PM
I'm saying it will have an impact. The original premise I made was that St Mary's doing well in the MacRory can only be a good thing for the county. Not sure where you are getting the size of the impact from. I'm not predicting Sam Maguires.

The current St Mary's team doing well in the MacRory will do nothing for Antrim football as there's nothing coming behind it. The current team is the result of a good five or six years training preparation but the school and county Board have done nothing to ensure than reward from the efforts and investments of a few individuals will continue.

is a result of all the best teams being in the other section and the knock out stage s will bear this theory out. But still its good to see St Marys doing well.

imtommygunn

Good one Max.

At the end of the day Culchy league positions are the result of a whole season so lamh dhearg can blame no-one but themselves!

Will be interesting next season now as I'd expect there to be nothing between you boys and Glenavy / Moneyglass. St Johns also seem to be moving downwards so should be interesting at the bottom end of division 1 anyway. The top would be the same as I'd expect.

ONeill

Quote from: Donagh on November 24, 2008, 11:23:48 AM

The current St Mary's team doing well in the MacRory will do nothing for Antrim football as there's nothing coming behind it. The current team is the result of a good five or six years training preparation but the school and county Board have done nothing to ensure that the reward from the efforts and investments of a few individuals will continue.

All true, but the Big Bang needs to start somewhere and perhaps this could be a timely jolt for the CB that there actually is young talent in the county.
It's unlikely St. Mary's will progress beyond the quarters but with some big names falling by the wayside, it's a real boost for football in the school. Busting a gut to hold Omagh to at least a draw and making the Casement final would be some achievement.  
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

while I certainly think that better development will result in better players and a better standard of player in a squad will be be most helpful in getting towards a winning team
however, the most skilful tyrone teams were annually disasterous at senior level (aprart from possibly in the ulster lottery of a championship)
only since mickey harte has come along has tyrone been a senior success
imo he has less talent at his disposal than teams under ball , mcrrory and mckenna - imo obv

so while you have to have talent at your disposal - and a mixture of talent at that, you still need the acumen to put it all together, and Antrim could develop underage talent to beat the band but never realise true and full potential ....but it certainly is a step in the right direction, but still no guarantee of success.
Schools results are a bit of a red herring imo.

firehill

just to put this point accross...  there is no thing between st galls and lamh dhearg... there are a few individuals who take things off the field...  just because one team employs a rough approach to a game(county final) dosnt make it a feud...  its called wanting to win...  i myself am a lamh dhearg clubman and am personally very good friends with the majority of the senior team of st galls and have the pleasure of playing on the same teams as alot of them.....i would put "milltown row" as one of those sad individuals who like to bring things off the fied...  as for rasharkin id congratualte you on escaping relegation...  and cargin on winning the league..  this is a low point for our club and it will be a tough year ahead with alot of questions asked as to why this happened....but ... we will be back in div one in a years time.. i guarantee it!!! 

Glensman

Firehill - I'd remove your personal email address from your profile. A friend from "Shaws Road" has been the subject of abuse since leaving his.

What you have said deserves respect (if not for the Milltwon Row jibe and winning the record of most full stops in a post).

culchy1

firehill, maybe you are the decent soul up on hannahstown, your bound to be very lonely.

lamhs take a rough approach in every game they play.
by taking a rough approach, does this mean punching men off the ball, trying to intimidate them & so on.
its called football, why not try playing it from time to time, might win more matches.
im sure theres a boxing club somewhere in west belfast, get some of your men to join it!!

i beg to differ about yous getting on with st galls, not one of them will be sad to see yous stay in division 2 for the long term
& they arent alone either.

as i said before what goes round comes round, learnt that from karate kid the movie!!! ;D ;D

firehill

i wasnt too worried about my info being known.. but wouldn want it to become a personal thing.. just on this thing and sick of people labling the club over a few individuals!!! i dont condone violance but i think culshie1 is being a bit over exaggerated on the boxing stuff.  if you go to almost any club game in tyrone, cavan, monaghan i think youll see a fair amount of late tackles off the ball stuff going on!  im one for a good debate but just not gonna stand and watch people ridicule not only personal friends but lifelong friends on here. its part of the reason OUR county will not make progress for a while at least, and also sad thing because there are alot of talented footballers to make something happen..

culchy1

look firehill, i have seen it first hand so i know what goes on.
im not naming anyone, im not being personal here.

the thing that gets me is that yous arent a bad footballing team, when yous want to.
all i was saying is try playing abit more football and cut out the crap.

fair play to ye for standing up for your club, id do the same,
but as they say if you throw enough muck, it will eventually stick.
thats where im coming from, i've seen it too many times for it just to be a coincidence.

good luck in division 2 next year, if yous stick to the football, yous will win it with ease.

firehill

culshie1 ... i understand where your coming from, and fairly entitled to your opinion. i know were no angels and im not one myself and prob never will be. however i have been the subject of a few hidngs myself on a pitch but i dont have any animosity towards a particular club.. just individuals (and referees).  when you label a club then you include everyone involved!!! 

anyway....  anyone know what this bradley fella is like??? any good ??? i heard hes a bit of a nut.. but hes an outsider and that cant be a bad thing. any word on who got selected at the trials????

milltown row

culchy1

i hear violins playing!! :D

as i said what goes around comes around.
firehill, we'll leave it at that.

read earlier about the two mcgourty's not committing to county panel.
big disappointment :-\
had hoped everyone would commit for the year, but not to be.

heard by all accounts with baker, it his way or no way.
takes no crap, work rate is everything with him.

ONeill

Any truth that a major name in the Antrim team (though maybe only togs out sometimes) may be transfering to the Mourne County?

Only askin like.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

Presume these are the McGourty runours?
Kevin and CJ are both quoted in the Irish Star today saying they have no desire to play for Antrim this year at all. Kevin says he has already even told St Gall's that he can no longer give anything to senior football in Antrim at club level. Something like "It's time to focus on education and life, people younger than me have seen the world..blah, blah, needs to dedicate himself to othger things"
CJ says he's focusing solely on the Sigerson Cup with St Mary's.

milltown row

old news lads. think this firehill guy has it in for "sad individuals" what problems do you have with me? i'm a nice guy