Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffman

All valid points and very much understand them all

In the case of St Enda's who despite a poor football campaign with alot of their well known players not on teamsheets. I'd assume they want to be playing Div 1 and pushing in both codes.

Looking at former players how many of them played Div 1 in either code? Genuine question of anyone would have more knowledge but to me seems the obvious solution is to get managers who have experienced the top level?

Similarly if a club is regularly div 3/4 and wanting to progress up the divisions - obtain the services of a manager exposed to playing at a higher level?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2023, 10:12:03 AM
I can understand why certain clubmen, well regarded and with plenty of playing and coaching experience would not take on a senior team within the their own club.

Have you ever tried it? Its the most poison chalice position, automatically your are falling out with people left right and center, barflies are questioning your selections and tactics, your training methods are up for debate and nowadays with the fecking groups chats players feel they need to express everything!!

You wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if you have any sense, but, if you are an 'outsider' you have no baggage, you don't hang about in the club, or have 'real' friends other than the staff you have helping you out, so not too bothered if Paddy thinks your a dick

Agree 100%. Nail on the head.

Saffrongael

I really don't think the 4/5 championship medals is necessary, players want a coach that is clued in, organised, fair and knows what he is at. Plenty of fellas with medals wouldn't have a clue where to start
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NorthAntrim

Quote from: saffman on August 16, 2023, 11:27:40 AM

In the case of St Enda's who despite a poor football campaign with alot of their well known players not on teamsheets. I'd assume they want to be playing Div 1 and pushing in both codes.

Looking at former players how many of them played Div 1 in either code? Genuine question of anyone would have more knowledge but to me seems the obvious solution is to get managers who have experienced the top level?

Similarly if a club is regularly div 3/4 and wanting to progress up the divisions - obtain the services of a manager exposed to playing at a higher level?

i agree, especially with this st endas example. They, not a long time ago were at the bottom of the pile of antrim hurling. Their marquee player then is still doing it in division 1 now. Until this crop possibly hang up the boots they possibly dont have anyone internal with the tools to take a team at that level / expectations

EOC1923

Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 16, 2023, 12:16:35 PM

i agree, especially with this st endas example. They, not a long time ago were at the bottom of the pile of antrim hurling. Their marquee player then is still doing it in division 1 now. Until this crop possibly hang up the boots they possibly dont have anyone internal with the tools to take a team at that level / expectations
McNulty the Creggan manager?

NorthAntrim

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 16, 2023, 12:25:43 PM

i was using hurling example

EOC1923

Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 16, 2023, 12:57:33 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on August 16, 2023, 12:25:43 PM

i was using hurling example
My mistake, must of thought as it was a football thread it was football :D

Would ye whist

Funny Whitehill this year went for the holygrail of the fancy outside name who was taking them one way, it took one of their own to come in and save them (just)

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Would ye whist on August 16, 2023, 02:06:47 PM
Funny Whitehill this year went for the holygrail of the fancy outside name who was taking them one way, it took one of their own to come in and save them (just)

Dont think we need to look beyond All Saints for an example of an outside big name flop

marty34

All this depends on your view of success.

What is success...from where you finished the previous year.

If you finished 5th in league, getting to 3 rd and having a decent run in the championship would represent success to me.

Conversely, finishing 9th the previous year and hoping to get to win the league is not success.  People and clubs need to be realistic.

I've mentioned this before on here. Clubs need a 10 year plan, set achieveable and realistic goals - review it every year. Underage must be part of it also.

If a club (who finished 10th year before) bring in a managerment team, pay them say 10k and 'hope' they win the championship, more fool them.

They'll move off to a neighbouring club are two years and everybody will be back to square one. And repeat.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 03:22:07 PM
All this depends on your view of success.

What is success...from where you finished the previous year.

If you finished 5th in league, getting to 3 rd and having a decent run in the championship would represent success to me.

Conversely, finishing 9th the previous year and hoping to get to win the league is not success.  People and clubs need to be realistic.

I've mentioned this before on here. Clubs need a 10 year plan, set achieveable and realistic goals - review it every year. Underage must be part of it also.

If a club (who finished 10th year before) bring in a managerment team, pay them say 10k and 'hope' they win the championship, more fool them.

They'll move off to a neighbouring club are two years and everybody will be back to square one. And repeat.

100 percent these teams should be putting that 10k into their youth structure, rather  than bringing outside managers in and hoping for things to happen.

To have a winning senior team you don't need a championship winning team at every level as long as you have a conveyor belt of 2/3 good players on every team to bring through.

The lack of structure in youth teams in the city at the moment is very poor outside of St Bridget's (but they do have about 60 children to pick from at every level).

In a wider county scale of things if we ever want to move forward in any shape at county level, more focus needs to be put into the youth especially up in the city. 

Caesar

Have you any thoughts on why the city teams in particular seem to be struggling at underage? What has changed in the city that doesn't apply to the country boys?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Caesar on August 16, 2023, 03:54:40 PM
Have you any thoughts on why the city teams in particular seem to be struggling at underage? What has changed in the city that doesn't apply to the country boys?

Doing a lot of under age games and Naomh Brid (Belfast) seem to be doing rightly at underage lately as are St Paul's..

As mentioned taking your eye off the underage and channeling energies into senior only will only reduce the counties ability to get better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

St galls were borderline a once in a lifetime team which skews everything...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2023, 04:32:07 PM
St galls were borderline a once in a lifetime team which skews everything...

Our 82 83 teams played in successive Ulster club finals.... Its not a once in a life time team  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea