Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: reddog on September 02, 2017, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2017, 08:34:47 AM
I wasn't at it, our club had 3 games on at the same time, so I watched our minors progress to the final of the minor b hurling final... cracking game, was updated by Antrim twitter and others at the game... seems to been an error stricken game, 5 goals!! That will surely boost Lamhs confidence been 25 years since they last beat us... good luck to them. Cargin stumbled but havevthe experience to get out on top!

A long time but not 25 years. Lamhs won qf 1999 by 8 or 9 but your sentiment is true

Yes was at it! Sorry lazy memory... can you kick on though??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 02, 2017, 08:13:43 AM
On another note it is very rare people have been talking about a good game in the antrim football championship...

Unfortunately only good because the standard has dropped. St Galls would have won by as many as they wanted previously.

Would like to see LD go on and win it and with the 2 Murrays and no 11 they have a chance but i cant see past Cargin.

If Kelly was on earlier and Niblock as you said Bannside the result wouldve been different. 2 shots for points dropped short and bundled in...even with St Galls decline lady luck was on LDs side...im not being disparaging...it simply was. It's up to them to kick on now
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Belfast GAA man

Lady Luck? Lamhs scored 3-14 - that's a lot of luck!   .....sour grapes?

country bumpkin

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 02, 2017, 09:03:30 PM
Big win for the Hannahstown men and they do look major contenders...

Christmas Lights

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 03, 2017, 07:28:35 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 02, 2017, 09:03:30 PM
Big win for the Hannahstown men and they do look major contenders...

LOL, wise up.  Cargin at a canter however, even with a SFC win and a league win, the season for Cargin will still be considered to be a SHAMBLES without a win in Ulster. 

country bumpkin

What is going on in South Antrim under-age ?

Just a single representative in the remaining teams in the minor A and B champioships.....Rossa last man standing.

Hectic

Noticed that alright. Poor state of affairs.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2017, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: Hectic on September 06, 2017, 11:01:07 PM

It's hectic

I believe that if we are to stand any chance of progressing as a county we need to get it right in the city.  What I see now around Antrim is by and large all the best facilities are in the country.  Yes you do not need top facilities to produce top teams as St Galls have proven for a long time now but I just worry that the game is continuing to go the wrong way in the city and this is possibly good evidence that this is the case.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on September 07, 2017, 10:32:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2017, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: Hectic on September 06, 2017, 11:01:07 PM

It's hectic

I believe that if we are to stand any chance of progressing as a county we need to get it right in the city.  What I see now around Antrim is by and large all the best facilities are in the country.  Yes you do not need top facilities to produce top teams as St Galls have proven for a long time now but I just worry that the game is continuing to go the wrong way in the city and this is possibly good evidence that this is the case.

Clubs around the city are starting to improve, Sarsfields, St Pauls and Davitts are all building new changing rooms and pitches and deserve credit for doing so. The 4 new council 3G/4g pitches at Cliftonville Rd, Sally Gardens, Woodlands and The Ozone on the Ormeau Park have also have brought some clubs up to speed.

There is no doubt about it that Belfast are lacking in a massive way in terms of 2nd and even 3rd pitches in some cases but ask any country clubs who have went through a barren spell and I'm sure they would swap some grandeur for silverware.

Hectic

Sorry I meant the poor showing in the later stages of the minor championship was perhaps evidence.  But yes city teams seem to have got behind a bit in terms of facilities as well - I find myself more likely to put the kids in wellie boots for visiting city grounds these days - ironic :)  So yes PaddyJohn - it will be interesting to see if the city teams working at upgrading their facilities are the ones to come to the fore at underage in future years.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hectic on September 07, 2017, 10:53:30 AM
Sorry I meant the poor showing in the later stages of the minor championship was perhaps evidence.  But yes city teams seem to have got behind a bit in terms of facilities as well - I find myself more likely to put the kids in wellie boots for visiting city grounds these days - ironic :)  So yes PaddyJohn - it will be interesting to see if the city teams working at upgrading their facilities are the ones to come to the fore at underage in future years.

I was talking to a Sarsfields man during the summer at an underage hurling blitz and he says in terms of enticing youngsters through their gates their new 3G pitch and floodlighting has been a godsend.

paddyjohn

You'd think that this would have a knock on effect and the youth would want to play in these kinda places but that doesn't always happen. Dunloy are starting to reap the rewards of the indoor academy.

Its a simple system in my opinion, get your coaches in place in the schools, get the parents on board and hopefully things will start to change through time.

Hectic

Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2017, 11:12:13 AM

I was talking to a Sarsfields man during the summer at an underage hurling blitz and he says in terms of enticing youngsters through their gates their new 3G pitch and floodlighting has been a godsend.

Yeah my gut feeling is that the like of Sarsfields will prosper with the great work they have been doing at their grounds but in an ideal world a lot of city clubs would get investment to try and create the conditions that attract a high proportion of the youth to come and play Gaelic games.  Then we will see our potential as a county.

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 07, 2017, 11:17:43 AM

You'd think that this would have a knock on effect and the youth would want to play in these kinda places but that doesn't always happen. Dunloy are starting to reap the rewards of the indoor academy.

Its a simple system in my opinion, get your coaches in place in the schools, get the parents on board and hopefully things will start to change through time.

Parental input is massive, possibly the most important factor but this is another factor that can be influenced by facilities.