Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manballandall

Heard a rumour last night that St. John's had withdrawn from football league. Surely not?

manballandall

Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2014, 08:35:16 AM
Quote from: manballandall on June 12, 2014, 07:07:25 AM
Heard a rumour last night that St. John's had withdrawn from football league. Surely not?
?? They won last night...
Something the rasharkin keeper said last night, I found it hard to believe as you'd rather pull your reserve team and play them in senior league. Obviously not then

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manballandall on June 12, 2014, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2014, 08:35:16 AM
Quote from: manballandall on June 12, 2014, 07:07:25 AM
?? They won last night...
Something the rasharkin keeper said last night, I found it hard to believe as you'd rather pull your reserve team and play them in senior league. Obviously not then

Not showing their hand before championship?  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Very quiet on here in the lead up to an Ulster semi final?

Gizzy15

Quote from: NAG1 on June 17, 2014, 01:37:13 PM
Very quiet on here in the lead up to an Ulster semi final?

Like the Kerry support, we will save ourselves for the final, 8)

DennistheMenace

'We play a wee bit like Dublin'

Of course you do Baker..

glens abu

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 17, 2014, 04:50:08 PM

Of course you do Baker..

;D ;D couldn't believe that when I seen it,good win against Fermanagh but come on Baker  :-[ :-[

AQMP

Quote from: glens abu on June 17, 2014, 10:28:36 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 17, 2014, 04:50:08 PM

Of course you do Baker..

;D ;D couldn't believe that when I seen it,good win against Fermanagh but come on Baker  :-[ :-[

Yeah, was Baker taking the piss out of the journalist?  The whole piece seemed tongue in cheek.  Don't know if Baker does tongue in cheek, so I don't.

Michael Armstrong out with a hamstring injury.

bannside

Its eerily quiet on here - hopefully its the quiet before the storm.

I know we are going up against two very good Donegal teams. I spoke recently to a well connected Donegal insider, and he was adamant that both their minors and seniors have nothing less than playing on the third Sunday in September on their minds. Things in their senior camp are seriously back to 2012 levels. On top of this they have an expectancy level with their minors this year too that they dont usually possess, so for those reasons I would gladly settle for two big, competitive performances from us. That would be huge and would reinstate a lot of pride that has been missing in recent years.

Personally I wouldnt want to see us trying to beat them at their own game. Derry tried that and failed, and Donegal have won an all ireland perfecting this ultra defensive style. What they wont expect is us to spread it out and create space, the opposite of what they will try to do. We wont beat Donegal by doing what they do best!

I know this could backfire, but maybe the best form of defence is attack on this occasion. The longer we can hang in the bigger the doubts will be in their heads, and if its close going down the last ten minutes who knows what could happen. They have it all to lose, we are huge underdogs in both with nothing to lose.

So hopefully we will go out and attack them from the off, put them on the back foot and impose our style on them. The whole country will be rooting for us, so at least lets have a go - and if we do go down it will be with our swords up.

Good luck to both panels and management and lets all get to Clones on Sunday to support everyone involved.

brendanbelfast

That's a fair analysis Bannside, I hope the two teams get the support their efforts merit, and both squads have worked a huge amount in the last few weeks. They won't be lacking in belief anyway and that's a good starting point.

It would take a lot of things to fall on place for our seniors to win tomorrow, and yet if walk out of Clones with smiles on our faces I for one wouldn't be shocked.

Safe travels everyone.

bannside

Sunday was one of those days which  showed us all sides of Antrim Football in the one day. Credit to both our sides for at least going toe to toe for so long, but the truth is we were punching above our weight whilst Donegal were playing well within themselves.

When the chips were down Donegal were putting in the big hits, winning all the breaking ball and marginly within the rules bursting men in the tackle. They are built to do damage and were prepared to go to those lengths. Most of our men were there to play football.

Our full back line did exceptionally well given the protection they were offered. Holding Murphy, Mc Fadden and Mc Brearty to a total of 0-2 is very worthy of special mention,

It gives me no pleasure to say how dismayed I was about the number of missed tackles and chasing back in our middle third. Its been happening all year (our scores against stats in 2014 dont lie) and for Baker and co this must be a huge concern at the minute.

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on June 25, 2014, 10:51:49 AM
Sunday was one of those days which  showed us all sides of Antrim Football in the one day. Credit to both our sides for at least going toe to toe for so long, but the truth is we were punching above our weight whilst Donegal were playing well within themselves.

When the chips were down Donegal were putting in the big hits, winning all the breaking ball and marginly within the rules bursting men in the tackle. They are built to do damage and were prepared to go to those lengths. Most of our men were there to play football.

Our full back line did exceptionally well given the protection they were offered. Holding Murphy, Mc Fadden and Mc Brearty to a total of 0-2 is very worthy of special mention,

It gives me no pleasure to say how dismayed I was about the number of missed tackles and chasing back in our middle third. Its been happening all year (our scores against stats in 2014 dont lie) and for Baker and co this must be a huge concern at the minute.

Just wondering if anyone had any idea of what kind of weights/ S & C programme that the seniors have been on?

I know Donegal are ahead of most teams in this respect and are on the road 3/4 years in an intense programme, but our lads all looked lighter and noticeably less powerful in the tackle.

Surely this is one aspect that all teams should be nearly equal on as the information and programmes are widely available?

bannside

Agree Nag, its a medium/longer term plan to develop that kind of power. In fairness though only a few of the big teams can claim to be at this level, and Antrim would be there or therabouts with most counties on that score.

A player must take on that responsibility first and foremost, with or without the county. A manager come in with a year to prove himself on a rolling contract will not want to spend three quarters of his time creating physical specimens for the next manager to benefit from.

This is exactly the kind of joined up thinking we need to put in place from about age 15 and upwards. Personally I have never seen such a powerful minor team as Donegal were on Sunday, and when you hear of the work Declan Bonner has done with then since under 15 it is no surprise.

They have a plan in Donegal (and in Cavan) which is aimed at sustainability. They are putting in work now that they will benefit from for the next decade. Fair play to them.

theskull1

Big congratulations to all saints U14's winning the Div2 Feile today. They're a fine team.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

DownFanatic

Quote from: theskull1 on June 29, 2014, 09:37:09 PM
Big congratulations to all saints U14's winning the Div2 Feile today. They're a fine team.

I'm ignorant of Antrim football but would they have a big catchment? Sleeping giant type club?