FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherMore6592

But sure we had a great time and we're great losers and the fans are great, the craic is good. It's all good

Same thing whenever the men's team qualifies again

Sure isn't it great finishing bottom of the group as long as we turned up and participated .

weareros

Got a raw deal in that group. Both Australia and Canada are top 10 teams. Deserved to go in at half-time 1-0 up, but no complaints on second half. Canada were well in control and should have scored more. Katie was brilliant but few others at anywhere near same skill level. At end of day, scored fastest goal, but first team out.

Pub Bore

Quote from: weareros on July 26, 2023, 03:47:51 PM
Got a raw deal in that group. Both Australia and Canada are top 10 teams. Deserved to go in at half-time 1-0 up, but no complaints on second half. Canada were well in control and should have scored more. Katie was brilliant but few others at anywhere near same skill level. At end of day, scored fastest goal, but first team out.

Yeah, a bit like the men's team a couple of good players but the majority are pretty average.  A couple of the recent additions to the squad turned out to be disappointments.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 26, 2023, 03:39:10 PM
But sure we had a great time and we're great losers and the fans are great, the craic is good. It's all good

Same thing whenever the men's team qualifies again

Sure isn't it great finishing bottom of the group as long as we turned up and participated .

This group came from nowhere to qualify for the WC. That was a serious achievement. Ending up in the same group as Canada and Australia was always going to be a tough ask.

12 countries qualified from Europe for this competition. 

Denmark (13)
England (4)
France (5)
Germany (2)
Italy (16)
Netherlands (9)
Norway (12)
Portugal (21)
Republic of Ireland (22)
Spain (6)
Sweden (3)
Switzerland (20)

look at the countries above and tell me the one (other than Ireland) who'd be punching above their weight?

They have risen the profile of the girls game in Ireland. More will play, more will be better footballers and we will be stronger as long as we push on from this. We will also have a few more of the Diaspora declaring for us, because of our profile.

And believe me i get it with  The olé olé olé brigade being a complete annoyance.

AustinPowers

Shame to lose after  taking the lead

How did the transparent  non-albino  play? Did the commentator  say 'they' instead of 'she'?

And if she was referred to  as  'they', does that mean  Canada technically played with 12 players?

Gabriel_Hurl

seafoid

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 26, 2023, 06:52:01 PM
Katie McCabe is some baller.
Some of the women have skills the men's team don't.  Eg Farrelly can turn in half the space.

Captain Scarlet

Not on board for the great craic brigade. I don't think it was a Euro 2012 where the team were hammered and we still sang.
They more than competed in both games.

In this World Cup we were playing against better teams who have been around the block at this level.
If Pauw let them attack the games a bit more it'd be better. Some of the decision making is very poor on field too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Never beat the deeler

Don't understand the sneering here, but not surprised at the same time.

Was at the game last night. Ireland battled hard and ran their legs off but they were playing against a better team. Canada were way more composed on the ball, also they were a much bigger team.
Canada 7th in the world and reigning Olympic Champions, Australia 10th in the World and hosting the WC. For context Ireland are 22nd.

McCabe was already mentioned on here, but I thought O'Sullivan was even better. The two of them were everywhere, and a class above.
Ireland got a lucky goal early and played for territory as much as possible. It was clear the plan was to get the ball into the channels. They gave away a sloppy goal after 6 minutes of injury time and Canada worked a good goal 10 minutes after ht.
Ireland tired at times, as they had to spend much longer without the ball, and they lacked the composure of Canada when they did have the ball, so more running required.
Straight after the final whistle, McCabe made a bee line towards the ref to discuss something. Body language didn't seem aggressive. The ref was pointing to her watch, appeared to be suggesting that she stopped the clock for delays (a few cramps etc towards the end) but as McCabe walked away the ref seemed to reconsider and showed a yellow card.

The crowd was 90% Irish ex-pats, who hollered, cheered and sang to lift the players, but ultimately left the stadium dejected. The players came over to the stand to applaud the crowd afterwards, which was reciprocated.
Didn't hear any singing or chanting as we left the stadium. Team were dejected as were the fans.

Don't believe we have the players for a more expansive gameplan, and when we chased in the second half we got opened up more often and more easily, though Ireland were tiring, and Louise Quinn was sent up front for the last 10 or so
Hasta la victoria siempre

snoopdog

The women's game is only going one way.and that's up. The mens isnt going anywhere.

Hound

I thought Katie McCabe was head and shoulders best player on the pitch  in the Canada game. Her workrate, defensive interceptions, crosses, being able to make something out of nothing just put her on a different level.

O'Sullivan played very well v Canada (I think she was still feeling the after effects of her injury v Aus) but her couple of efforts at goal were disappointing.

I thought they were brilliant for the first half hour or so, completely surprised and unsettled the Canadians, who looked bereft of what to do. But a couple of Canadian long fake injuries both stopped our momentum and allowed the Canadian manager give instructions to her team to change things. After that they were just a little bit better.

We still created chances but just couldn't find the net. We really lack a goalscoing threat. Caruso was miles better than against the Aus  but missed an easy enough header at 1-2  when Katie hit a fabulous cross and never really looked a goal scoring threat.

Very frustrating at the end to lose very tight games to two top rated teams and to lose goals to a needless penalty and an unlucky enough OG. Certainly deserved to be going into the third game still in with a chance, but them's the breaks.

Pub Bore

Aus 2 - Nig 3 - to be fair the the Irish team, this looks like the most competitive group.  Prospect of either Aus or Canada going home.

weareros

Katie complained to the ref about Canadian time wasting, told her she hadn't control of the game. Fair play to her. She's a class player and leader. She almost scored from corner against the Aussies too. She can fairly swing them in.

From the Bunker

Ireland's World Cup adventure comes to an end. Since we qualified, I have never seen a Witch-hunt like it. For every positive story there has been two negative stories. If I didn't know better I'd say there was a concerted effort to make this group look bad.