Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

If Down get to an All Ireland final there is only 7 Monday/Fridays to Sept 6th that's teams playing Monday Friday Monday Friday Monday Friday Monday
They would need to extend it
Are the county board really going to ask teams to play 9 games in 20 days
Here's another 1
Say Kilcoo want to push for ulster they will play 15 games in 11 weeks
Time for promotion and relegation to go

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 14, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
If Down get to an All Ireland final there is only 7 Monday/Fridays to Sept 6th that's teams playing Monday Friday Monday Friday Monday Friday Monday
They would need to extend it
Are the county board really going to ask teams to play 9 games in 20 days
Here's another 1
Say Kilcoo want to push for ulster they will play 15 games in 11 weeks
Time for promotion and relegation to go

No Chance... May aswell Scrap the leagues then.

thewobbler

If we are really going to permit the needs of 35 nineteen year olds to trump the needs of 1,000 adult footballers, then we really should take a few minutes to consider what it's all about.

ardtole

Smurfy123

I also agree
But take your own club wobbler
Missing 5 players for 5 matches in a 9 game league
Where is the fairness in that?
A lot at stake

thewobbler

You're working from an assumption that the county u20 team "owns" the rights to playing these players.

No reason why they can't play both.

Smurfy123

Fair point
But you and I know that the under 20s will not be playing next Friday night and then an ulster final on Sunday
That is just not going to happen
I don't disagree with you by the way
Do the county board really know what they are going to do?

Truth hurts

I really hope that Down can go on a run but herein lies the problem.  Trying to squeeze so many games in a short period of time will only mean injuries and do teams want that with the championship around the corner. It will be fine for teams with larger panels who will be able to rest players but one or two injuries to a team could decimate them. The wobbler has a point but it will be unfair to put players in a position to play club when the county setup does not want to. Also, the minor championship is scheduled on Monday nights in August, pitches are hard to come by at the minute without having a senior league game and the minor championship game on the same evening. There is going to be no right or wrong answer to this but there is a chance that a team could play 4 senior league games and another team not having kicked a ball. That is not fair. The league games should be all played on the same night within reason but no team should have a backlog of games.

stiff breeze

Clubs have played for years under the starred system . That was losing their senior county players . Promotion and relegation play offs were brought in to ease the unfairness of this process meaning at the business end of the league you will have your full squad available for the games to either save yourself or try to win the league . I'd imagine this won't be as much of an issue as predicted and most will play on without the lads unless they form a major part of your team .Plus who's to say how far they actually go .  It's a freak season again with covid , county boards are having to make decisions on the hop . Players want to play and can't wait to get going , stop moaning and get out and enjoy it .

Truth hurts

Quote from: stiff breeze on July 15, 2021, 12:58:47 PM
Clubs have played for years under the starred system . That was losing their senior county players . Promotion and relegation play offs were brought in to ease the unfairness of this process meaning at the business end of the league you will have your full squad available for the games to either save yourself or try to win the league . I'd imagine this won't be as much of an issue as predicted and most will play on without the lads unless they form a major part of your team .Plus who's to say how far they actually go .  It's a freak season again with covid , county boards are having to make decisions on the hop. Players want to play and can't wait to get going , stop moaning and get out and enjoy it .

Of course, players want to play, no one except for smurfy is saying to scrap the leagues. The problem is that there are play-offs that act as a buffer for the clubs with many county players.

I was speaking with a man this morning and his solution was to have no relegation but have two promoted from 2,3,4. This would change the number in the leagues from in 2021 from 10,10,11,12 to 12,10,11,10 in 2022. It was the fairest option i have heard in a long time and all clubs would be able to agree on that as every club can play for something.

thewobbler

That would see us spending the next 3 years getting the leagues back to a manageable size. All because of 35 x nineteen year olds.

Everyone needs to a deep breath here and realise that if central council want to stick an u20 club competition in the middle of the club season, then the u20 competition cannot take precedence. Otherwise we might as well go back to the early 90s and plan to finish our club seasons on the following calendar year.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2021, 01:58:17 PM
That would see us spending the next 3 years getting the leagues back to a manageable size. All because of 35 x nineteen year olds.

Everyone needs to a deep breath here and realise that if central council want to stick an u20 club competition in the middle of the club season, then the u20 competition cannot take precedence. Otherwise we might as well go back to the early 90s and plan to finish our club seasons on the following calendar year.

But the u20 competition is taking precedence! We understand everything at what you are saying but you tell the Down u20 management that John McGovern will be playing for Ballyholland next weekend if they are in an Ulster final. Do you honestly think that will happen? Your logic is correct but in the real world, it is not happening.

thewobbler

It will only take precedence if our clubs allow it to happen.

How players are released for county fixtures is not set by central council. It is motioned by the county board executive, and agreed by the county board (the clubs).

My personal belief (in no way representative of my club) is that senior league fixtures should be fulfilled on same weekend throughout the u2 competitions, and u20 players are eligible to play for clubs.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
It will only take precedence if our clubs allow it to happen.

How players are released for county fixtures is not set by central council. It is motioned by the county board executive, and agreed by the county board (the clubs).

My personal belief (in no way representative of my club) is that senior league fixtures should be fulfilled on same weekend throughout the u2 competitions, and u20 players are eligible to play for clubs.

So league fixtures are to take place next Sunday then if Down were still in the competition with all players to clubs, again sounds good but no chance of it happening.

I don't think it will matter anyway, lockdown 3 coming soon  :)

Smurfy123

The county board have clearly stated no club will have a game which is starred
Which leaves us with 3 scenarios

1. Wobblers suggestion which is not going to happen

2. Any team with players on the panel don't play and reschedule

3. Play without them

Number 1 and 3 ain't happening

So we could have some teams that have played 3 or 4 games and another not even started

Something has to give