Mandatory covid 19 vaccination

Started by grounded, November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Covid 19 vaccination(s) become mandatory by law in Ireland(North and South)?

Yes
45 (50%)
No
45 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: November 24, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

LeoMc

What vaccines are currently mandatory?

lurganblue

It's a no from me.  I'm double jabbed and will have no problem getting a booster.  I have no interest in forcing this on other people.

Eire90

and we all know the tds wont be doing it if they want it so much why dont they personally administer it they wont they get their foot soldiers to do it

themac_23

Quote from: lenny on November 22, 2021, 11:13:33 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 22, 2021, 09:18:35 AM
To be perfectly honest I think anyone pushing for a vaccine mandate is worse than any of the anti everything loons. In fact vaccine passports and mandates are exactly what the loons and plenty of sensible people predicted at the start of the vaccine rollout. You are making the loons argument for them.

It should be absolutely no one elses business who is vaccinated or not. If you are happy to take the vaccine by all means take it, it seems to be very effective at reducing symptoms at least and keeping you out of hospital, I've had both jabs and would encourage anyone to get jabbed. None of my business however who does or doesn't get it, totally personal choice and should have no consequences whatsoever if you chose not to be vaccinated.

Get your vaccine, get your booster if you want and if you're still worried about covid stay at home.

I respectfully disagree. If I'm going to a restaurant or to a concert I'd like to know that the people sitting around me have been fully vaccinated or at the least have properly done a test to prove they haven't got Covid. I'd consider it my business to know that. If I'm working in an office or inside environment I'd like to know the people sitting in the same office all day have taken all precautions ie they've been vaccinated. That is absolutely my business because I'm in the business of trying to keep myself healthy.

I actually disagree, ive had my 2 jabs and had my booster last week. I see it as my duty for my loved ones and people who are affected by my actions. I dont know the medical status of every person I interact with, some things are private. I want everyone to be vaccinated but if they aren't I dont think they should be excluded from society. There also needs to be a distinction made between being anti vax and being against a Covid passport. I am 100% for passports but honestly think introducing the Covid pass is too far. Now, going on holiday in sept I used a Covid pass, I am not saying if it comes in to force I won't play ball but I just think its too far.

armaghniac

When driving on the road I don't just want to drive sober I want those around me to drive sober also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on November 23, 2021, 11:11:37 AM
When driving on the road I don't just want to drive sober I want those around me to drive sober also.
Me too. But I don't ask them if they've had a jab.

The point of the vaccine is that it stops or greatly reduces the chance of you getting seriously ill. Going by infection rates it isn't much use at stopping covid spreading so unless you're going to become a hermit you'll likely be exposed at some point, you would imagine most of us already have been at some point.

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on November 21, 2021, 11:11:34 PM
It's certainly anti-science to mandate people who have already acquired a natural immunity to be vaccinated. Such people who have been infected,  who have developed symptoms  and fully recovered in a timely fashion, have already developed a much superior type of immunity than what the vaccination offers.  To mandate such people to be vaccinated is not only anti-science but more importantly  anti-Darwin, the beloved godperson  of the 'science of evolution'.

The vaccination method certainly has benefits, but more so  for our elders and those who are health compromised.
Your post is complete nonsense.

So called "natural immunity" is a crock. Vaccination is the only way to go.

https://twitter.com/profshanecrotty/status/1455263624730087424

People with previous COVID-19 (natural immunity) were 5x more likely to be hospitalized with re-infection COVID, compared to vaxxed people. Dramatic finding. Most extensive data on this topic in an American population, & over a substantial period of time.
https://cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm?s_cid=mm7044e1_w

sid waddell

Quote from: Thastheball on November 23, 2021, 11:40:14 AM
Ireland the most vaccinated place in Europe and with the highest covid rates and people want covid passports for ?? Sure almost everyone will have their passports and be free to pass on their covid to everyone. The movie Dumb & Dumber jumps out.
Ireland is not the most vaccinated place in Europe.

Basic fact fail.

Ireland does not have the highest Covid rates in Europe. We're not even in the top 10 in Europe for case rates at the moment.

Basic fact fail.

Our pandemic is being driven by the young, who remain largely unvaccinated.

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 23, 2021, 11:34:30 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 23, 2021, 11:11:37 AM
Me too. But I don't ask them if they've had a jab.

The point of the vaccine is that it stops or greatly reduces the chance of you getting seriously ill. Going by infection rates it isn't much use at stopping covid spreading so unless you're going to become a hermit you'll likely be exposed at some point, you would imagine most of us already have been at some point.

It also helps to burn out the virus and get rid of it. Take a look at your history, especially around TB. There are still a few loons, even now, that refuse to get that vaccination but the critical mass that do ensure that that terrible disease that killed so so many never gets a root in society again.

dublin7

Quote from: grounded on November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM
Given Austria's position I thought it would be interesting to see how board members would vote here. Thanks
             A mandatory vaccination scheme is where you are required by law to get vaccinated and face punishment if you do not do so. Those refusing vaccines are likely to face administrative fines which can be converted into a prison sentence if the fine is not recovered.

It shouldn't be compulsory, but if you choose to remain unvaccinated then restrictions should be applied to what you can do, where you can go etc? I do however agree with countries like France/Italy who have made it mandatory for health workers to get vaccinated

grounded

Quote from: LeoMc on November 22, 2021, 11:15:07 AM
What vaccines are currently mandatory?

Currently there are no vaccination schemes which are mandatory by law in either the uk or Ireland.
     However there are vaccinations which are a requirement to work in certain sectors . One example in the health services in the UK or Ireland is the Hepatitus B vaccination scheme and now covid 19 vaccination scheme (England only at present). 

imtommygunn

Is the flu vaccine not mandatory to work in the health sector? E.g. old peoples home.

grounded

https://ourworldindata.org/childhood-vaccination-policies

This gives quite a good breakdown on mandatory/mandate vaccination schemes throughout the world.

grounded

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 23, 2021, 01:55:21 PM
Is the flu vaccine not mandatory to work in the health sector? E.g. old peoples home.

People of often get confused with the terms mandatory vs mandate. The article above explains it quite well.

Jeepers Creepers

Did I read that in Singapore, if your not vaccinated you have to pay for your medical treatment (if needed?)