Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

Former Irish and Lions rugby player Ray McLoughlin. From Ballinasloe he was one of the top props in the world in his day

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ireland-and-lions-rugby-legend-ray-mcloughlin-dies-aged-82-41078329.html

Tatler Jack

Also Ned Rea who won an AI medal with Limerick in 1973. Big strong FF in an era where big FFs were the order of the day. His pub near Heuston station was a good haunt for hurling chat.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40750500.html

Tatler Jack

imtommygunn

Very sad news about the glen teacher who died after a tree struck his car.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2021, 01:27:07 PM
Very sad news about the glen teacher who died after a tree struck his car.

Yes there was a photo there with him, half a dozen glen lads who went to that school and the John McLaughlin cup.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

laoislad

Former Liverpool player Ray Kennedy
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

joemamas

Quote from: laoislad on November 30, 2021, 02:43:11 PM

And Arsenal.

Showing my age, but will never forget as a very young fella listening to the radio when Arsenal played liverpool in the second replay of the FA cup semi final, he scored the only goal from a header, highlights followed later that night on either BBC or ITN, simplier times and happy times.

J70

RIP.

He had a tough second half to his life.

But a great, great player for Liverpool and, in his early career, Arsenal.

Scored the goal that put Liverpool in the '81 European Cup final, away to Bayern.

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on November 30, 2021, 02:48:25 PM

And Arsenal.

Showing my age, but will never forget as a very young fella listening to the radio when Arsenal played liverpool in the second replay of the FA cup semi final, he scored the only goal from a header, highlights followed later that night on either BBC or ITN, simplier times and happy times.

Clarification, Just looked it up.
It was the FA cup semi-final Third replay, Ray Kennedy was playing for liverpool, he was involved in the goal, unfortunately for him scuffed a clearance, that lead to the only goal.
Pat Jennings was incredible as usual in goals for Arsenal.

quit yo jibbajabba

That semi final saga is my earliest memory of supporting Liverpool.

Paisley said Kennedy was the boy the foreign teams always worried about the most out of the Pool teams. High praise indeed.

J70

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 30, 2021, 03:34:06 PM
That semi final saga is my earliest memory of supporting Liverpool.

Paisley said Kennedy was the boy the foreign teams always worried about the most out of the Pool teams. High praise indeed.

Same with me. Also showing my age!

Remember being allowed to stay up to watch the highlights on Sportsnight (a benefit of living near the border was we could get BBC, UTV and, later, Channel 4 with a tree-top booster aerial).

I'd no idea of the score either watching the highlights, as I hadn't yet discovered the BBC 5 radio station (now Five Live), so there was nowhere you could look or listen to find it out.

At least in the hills of Donegal anyway.

quit yo jibbajabba

im gona guess im a year or two younger but its nothin to be boastin about 😃😉
I wasnt allowed to stay up and asked me dad next morn for the result. Q some tears lolol. Dont even know the year for sure guessing 78 or 9?

ziggy90

RIP Ray. A class footballer.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Armamike

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 30, 2021, 06:18:18 PM

RIP Ray. A class footballer.

Pure class.  Rolls Royce of a player was a term made for him.  Scored some beautiful goals.  Unknown to him at the time, his Parkinsons had started when he was with Swansea and at the time he couldn't understand what was affecting him.  That's a few Liverpool legends have passed on over the past year or 2.
That's just, like your opinion man.

SHEEDY

Barney Carr, manager of the great Down team that won the all Ireland in 1960 and 61, RIP.
nil satis nisi optimum