Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

The expenses weren't removed, if they had to travel to undertake their councillor duties they would still have been paid, but because I assume that wasn't possible in a lot of cases and meetings had to happen remotely they are complaining their "income" is reduced  :-\

6th sam

I don't know the specifics and have no party political agenda.
I think this is another Nolan classic : DUP today, SF tomorrow, easy pickings.
Councillors are paid I think £15k. Some have other jobs, some don't .many have  low income.
My understanding is that Travel expenses are not just for diesel. They are presumably for wear and tear of car(tyres/servicing/hp) .
For someone on a low income , every penny counts. If they are keeping a vehicle they required for council work on the road without any reimbursement, I can understand how that can be challenging. Why should our councillors be out of pocket for their public service?

thebigfella

Quote from: 6th sam on June 24, 2021, 06:31:07 PM
I don't know the specifics and have no party political agenda.
I think this is another Nolan classic : DUP today, SF tomorrow, easy pickings.
Councillors are paid I think £15k. Some have other jobs, some don't .many have  low income.
My understanding is that Travel expenses are not just for diesel. They are presumably for wear and tear of car(tyres/servicing/hp) .
For someone on a low income , every penny counts. If they are keeping a vehicle they required for council work on the road without any reimbursement, I can understand how that can be challenging. Why should our councillors be out of pocket for their public service?

It's a reimbursement for using their "own vehicle" and not for the upkeep/purchase of a vehicle for work. Otherwise its effectively a company car and they should be paying BIC

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

They shouid ask for a donation from the money others are apparently giving back to the party , you know "ordinary industrial wage " or just ask for a transfer into the community voluntary sector where they can bleed us all dry with even less scrutiny

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on June 24, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on June 24, 2021, 04:39:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 24, 2021, 01:34:13 PM
Expenses as part of income is just another example of the public sector mindset, similar to sick leave being an extension of annual leave and must be used ensure the maximum number of days off.

As part of their job, they have to travel to meet general pubic at meetings or other informal meetings e.g. housing application issues at local sites) Travel payments are provided to enable them to do it while out of pocket.

If that funding was removed, would they be in the right to not travel or meet people to help them out.

I know this is an easy topic to take a pop shot at politicians, but this is a genuine question. Otherwise, would they be in their rights for a tax deduction on payments for petrol to enable them to carry out their pubic duties

Nonsense.  The expenses are just that.  To cover expenses.

If people are profiting from claiming these expenses, by default, they are either claiming too much or the rate of payment is too high.

Tony is bang on.

Probably this but if and when its reduced you really shouldn't be complaining as if it was a pay cut. That is balls.

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on June 25, 2021, 09:12:48 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 24, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on June 24, 2021, 04:39:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 24, 2021, 01:34:13 PM
Expenses as part of income is just another example of the public sector mindset, similar to sick leave being an extension of annual leave and must be used ensure the maximum number of days off.

As part of their job, they have to travel to meet general pubic at meetings or other informal meetings e.g. housing application issues at local sites) Travel payments are provided to enable them to do it while out of pocket.

If that funding was removed, would they be in the right to not travel or meet people to help them out.

I know this is an easy topic to take a pop shot at politicians, but this is a genuine question. Otherwise, would they be in their rights for a tax deduction on payments for petrol to enable them to carry out their pubic duties

Nonsense.  The expenses are just that.  To cover expenses.

If people are profiting from claiming these expenses, by default, they are either claiming too much or the rate of payment is too high.

Tony is bang on.

Probably this but if and when its reduced you really shouldn't be complaining as if it was a pay cut. That is balls.

Yep.  Unbelievable that someone would say this out loud.

Brainless

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57784074.amp

Does this make Michelle a stoop?
The same Shinners on Twitter who were bombarding colum Eastwood are now lauding this as " leadership"

Robots with serious brass necks

skeog

Good to see SF joining the mainstream parties wouldnt be knocking it.Sure many SF people have relatives who served and perished while under the UJ.Time to move on to the things that really matter.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: skeog on July 10, 2021, 02:04:48 PM
Good to see SF joining the mainstream parties wouldnt be knocking it.Sure many SF people have relatives who served and perished while under the UJ.Time to move on to the things that really matter.

Agreed but watch all the "stoop hecklers" on here change like the wind

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 10, 2021, 12:49:10 PM

The same Shinners on Twitter who were bombarding colum Eastwood are now lauding this as " leadership"

I definitely don't think she should and I wouldn't go near it. Would you?

Snapchap

Michelle laid a laurel wreath, and she didn't wear a poppy (an item sold in order to raise funds for ex-British soldiers from all conflicts, including those who "served" here).

Colum, meanwhile:

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on July 12, 2021, 01:22:54 PM

Michelle laid a laurel wreath, and she didn't wear a poppy (an item sold in order to raise funds for ex-British soldiers from all conflicts, including those who "served" here).

Colum, meanwhile:

only matter of time and it will then be called "leadership" by all the Twitter weaklings boke boke boke

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2021, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 12, 2021, 01:22:54 PM

Colum, meanwhile:

only matter of time and it will then be called "leadership" by all the Twitter weaklings boke boke boke

So essentially, you're criticising people for what you think they might do in the future? Take a day off ffs!!lol

skeog

Good interview by Michelle yesterday she said she was against all wars.