Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 01, 2018, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 01, 2018, 04:19:58 PM
What we call a red weather alert wouldnt be regarded as a yellow weather alert in some countries.

Other countries would have better infrastructure designed to cater for what would be seriously disruptive here.

And then it's parts of other countries.

Two inches of snow is enough to paralyze Atlanta.

Two feet here in NYC and everything is back to complete normality not long after it stops.

One place is equipped to deal with it as a routine, predictable event. The other isn't, for obvious reasons.

Edit: Fionntamnhnach already made the point!

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on March 01, 2018, 05:35:29 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 01, 2018, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 01, 2018, 04:19:58 PM
What we call a red weather alert wouldnt be regarded as a yellow weather alert in some countries.

Other countries would have better infrastructure designed to cater for what would be seriously disruptive here.

And then it's parts of other countries.

Two inches of snow is enough to paralyze Atlanta.

Two feet here in NYC and everything is back to complete normality not long after it stops.

One place is equipped to deal with it as a routine, predictable event. The other isn't, for obvious reasons.

Edit: Fionntamnhnach already made the point!

Even within States !  I remember we had snow in Phoenix once. It almost paralysed them. And it was about a centimetre. Then 2 hours up the road in the high desert, sedona flagstaff and then up to grand canyon they could get a foot of snow no bother

Captain Obvious

We had bigger snow falls and worse storms a few months ago.  Red weather warnings,curfews,health and safety and insurance companies having people terrified, mad panic for food and drink in shops, is this what modern society has become?

armaghniac

It isn't clear how much snow will come tonight. Some places might get a heap.
But the warnings this week were a bit over the top, and the response of the authorities poor.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 01, 2018, 06:26:05 PM
We had bigger snow falls and worse storms a few months ago.  Red weather warnings,curfews,health and safety and insurance companies having people terrified, mad panic for food and drink in shops, is this what modern society has become?

This post was hardly in keeping with your Obvious skit. The most populated area of the country is buried in snow right now.

Farrandeelin

Why the whole of the country was put under red is beyond me. I've been in school through much worse than this.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2018, 02:52:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2018, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2018, 10:45:18 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 01, 2018, 10:01:40 AM
Looks like the worst is over

That would be a North Antrim perspective, you wouldn't say that if you lived in Kilkenny.

Some of the international apps have a dud radar feed this morning. It is snowing rightly here in Dublin and the Met.ie radar shows this clearly, but my app says no precipitation expected.
Never mind ye're fancy apps and things - just look out the feckin window😆

I can't see out, it is covered in white stuff.
I suspect it could be snowing there?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2018, 09:09:16 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2018, 02:52:53 PM
I can't see out, it is covered in white stuff.
I suspect it could be snowing there?

Probably piled up to the window,  I'll look out upstairs.

Milltown Row2

Plenty wind here, no snow
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2018, 10:47:27 PM

There'll not be a heap around Belfast, a few showers. In Dublin/Wicklow etc it is going to snow until Saturday, at least.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: armaghniac on March 02, 2018, 12:43:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2018, 10:47:27 PM

There'll not be a heap around Belfast, a few showers. In Dublin/Wicklow etc it is going to snow until Saturday, at least.

Can see even the Monday commute being affected in Dublin. The stuff has to melt too.

Feckitt

If you live in the six counties it's a waste of time watching or listening to RTE for the weathet as they are guided by the totally partitionist Met Eireann.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Feckitt on March 02, 2018, 11:33:02 AM
If you live in the six counties it's a waste of time watching or listening to RTE for the weathet as they are guided by the totally partitionist Met Eireann.

Noticed that over the years, sure the more they show the whether in the north the less airtime there is to promote rugby.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

armaghniac

Quote from: Feckitt on March 02, 2018, 11:33:02 AM

Met Eireann has always been the best guide to weather in any part of Ireland. But since this yellow alert thing came in, they are only responsible for the 26 counties and this has definitely affected the presentation of their information.

Why were things such as weather not proposed for all Ireland bodies? This is exactly the sort of practical thing Met office, Ordnance Survey that should be and yet you never hear the Barry McElduff's of this world talking about this.

Donnellys Hollow

Sallins this morning:

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?