Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

We've about 4/5 inches of snow here in Castleblayney. I walked into the town an hour or so ago and met a fruitcake out running the roads.. I couldn't get my phone out in time or he'd be a Facebook sensation by now..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on March 01, 2018, 11:53:11 AM
We've about 4/5 inches of snow here in Castleblayney. I walked into the town an hour or so ago and met a fruitcake out running the roads.. I couldn't get my phone out in time or he'd be a Facebook sensation by now..

I do a fair bit of running and I'll never run in the snow or ice.. saw an old boy (in his 60's) few weeks back Sat morning out running on the road, not footpath as it was worse! so causing danger for drivers who were struggling with driving in it.

The fool also had his dog with him! I came back from the gym about 2 hours later, the man was being helped up the road by his son, he looked in pain! Obviously fell and his son had to come and get him! Nut job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Can never get my head around those that go for runs in adverse conditions, seen a lad go on his hole just before xmas at bottom on a hill in that bad period of ice. He wouldn't take a lift and wanted to finish his run....admirable, not entirely intelligent.

Not a sight of snow here at foot of Slieve Gallion - mountain is covered, but nothing since Tuesday and even it was fine, powder stuff. Seen the clips of Lurgan and Armagh, it's only a matter of time surely.

Boycey

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2018, 12:13:55 PM

Can never get my head around those that go for runs in adverse conditions, seen a lad go on his hole just before xmas at bottom on a hill in that bad period of ice. He wouldn't take a lift and wanted to finish his run....admirable, not entirely intelligent.

Not a sight of snow here at foot of Slieve Gallion - mountain is covered, but nothing since Tuesday and even it was fine, powder stuff. Seen the clips of Lurgan and Armagh, it's only a matter of time surely.

I was having trouble distinguishing between footpath and roadway. At pace one ill advised step could be a leg breaker...

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2018, 10:45:18 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 01, 2018, 10:01:40 AM
Looks like the worst is over

That would be a North Antrim perspective, you wouldn't say that if you lived in Kilkenny.

Some of the international apps have a dud radar feed this morning. It is snowing rightly here in Dublin and the Met.ie radar shows this clearly, but my app says no precipitation expected.
Never mind ye're fancy apps and things - just look out the feckin window😆
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2018, 01:15:08 PM

That would be a North Antrim perspective, you wouldn't say that if you lived in Kilkenny.

Some of the international apps have a dud radar feed this morning. It is snowing rightly here in Dublin and the Met.ie radar shows this clearly, but my app says no precipitation expected.

You won't see much snow here at all today. It was bad last night mind you and freezing this morning. The wind is freezing if ye get me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Not looking too good in Killester on Dublin's Northside at the moment. Flurries of powdery snow after a heavy snowfall during the night and it's getting heavier.
I hear some areas in Dublin have had their water cut off but we are okay here at the moment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

laoislad

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2018, 12:13:55 PM

https://youtu.be/9H7IqL5w9Qo
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2018, 01:15:08 PM

I can't see out, it is covered in white stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bannside

What we call a red weather alert wouldnt be regarded as a yellow weather alert in some countries.

Syferus

Quote from: bannside on March 01, 2018, 04:19:58 PM
What we call a red weather alert wouldnt be regarded as a yellow weather alert in some countries.

But we're not 'other countries'?

AZOffaly

Other countries would have better infrastructure designed to cater for what would be seriously disruptive here.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 01, 2018, 04:26:28 PM

Other countries would have better infrastructure designed to cater for what would be seriously disruptive here.

+1

Most of the whiners whenever we shut down from weather start comparing orange and apples without thinking about what they're doing.

seafoid

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 01, 2018, 04:34:07 PM
In those "some countries" they get pretty harsh winters (by our standards) almost every year. So people living in these places are used to it, have relevant equipment e.g. winter tyres, infrastructure is planned around such conditions. Even then when more extreme weather than normal hits these places they send out advisories to not travel unless necessary etc.

The bit about planning infrastructure around conditions are important. We're reasonably fortunate that our climate is fairly benign compared to many other parts of the world. Having heavy snow ploughs on standby in Ireland for every winter would be a waste of money, not so much in the Canadian prairies. And it's not just an Irish (and British) thing, in the USA people that live in the likes of New England and the Midwest often mock the southern states when stuff gets closed down or cancelled when an inch or two of snow falls.

I think lifeboats are a good comparison . If every village in Austria needed a lifeboat once every 40 years you would hear a lot of moaning too.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU