Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

Some parts of south Texas expecting 35-50 inches of rain due to Hurricane Harvey!!!
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

RedHand88

Quote from: Boycey on February 23, 2017, 03:36:26 PM
Heres an A380 trying and failing to land at Manchester Airport in Storm Doris...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcNfQ-Cmd0w&feature=youtu.be

Looks to be going sideways at the end..

Nope, nope, nope a thousand times nope.  :-\

Boycey

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on August 26, 2017, 09:51:52 AM
Some parts of south Texas expecting 35-50 inches of rain due to Hurricane Harvey!!!

Watched CNN for a bit last night and they had a special report on about it seemingly the hurricane is going to make landfall and instead of moving inland and dissipating as it normally would it's going to stay in the same place for 2/3 days and drop all its rain in the same place  :o. The guy talking said his weather crew had hundreds of years of forecasting experience between them but had never anticipated anything like that level of rainfall..

AZOffaly

That's a bit disingenuous. Hundreds of years between them is still the same 20 or 30 years :)

Hereiam

We got 2 inches of rain on Tuesday if we got 50 inches it would be good night Irene

armaghniac

Let's see how they do in Texas, the issue will be people in low lying areas who did not evacuate. Perhaps they learned from New Orleans.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Rainfall in Heuston so far this weekend is comparable with the entire total for Malin Head for 2017, including the recent rain.

Probably best not to use I-10, it is worse than Broadway was in Belfast

Boycey

I've been watching this again tonight, the scale of it is staggering and they're talking about another 40/50 inches of rain due to fall from now til Friday...

screenexile

And yet the majority of them still deny climate change!!!

armaghniac

No joke
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41071404/storm-harvey-viral-photo-prompts-care-home-rescue

Inhabiting a flood plain where tropical storms are likely is not wise, although I suppose this would mean evacuating Bangladesh.

armaghniac

Another Category 4/5 Hurricane Irma heading towards Florida and likely to upend a few islands en route.

The Iceman

people in panic mode in florida already - no water left in the major supermarkets we checked today - you can't really evacuate because where do you go? nobody knows what path this hurricane is taking...
lots of media scare mongering going on - I know it will be bad but it isnt the Armageddon either - causes hysteria and panic and in times like this thats not what we need
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rois

Quote from: The Iceman on September 05, 2017, 06:01:02 PM
people in panic mode in florida already - no water left in the major supermarkets we checked today - you can't really evacuate because where do you go? nobody knows what path this hurricane is taking...
lots of media scare mongering going on - I know it will be bad but it isnt the Armageddon either - causes hysteria and panic and in times like this thats not what we need
Currently on a ship in the Caribbean and spent today rearranging travel plans.
We were due to sail back into Havana Sat and to fly from Havana to Miami and spend a week in South Florida before flying back Miami to Dublin. Now completely changed the plans. Getting off the cruise in Jamaica tomorrow and flying back to Miami, few days in south Florida, then flying over to LA instead. Flying back from LA to Dublin. Possibly panicking but neither of us wants to be stuck in Havana if a devastating storm hits, and don't want to spend a week of hard earned hols on weather watch as we're doing at the mo.

armaghniac

Well it wouldn't be good weather for sunbathing
https://youtu.be/WgS2hMZAsek

The Iceman

Quote from: Rois on September 06, 2017, 12:03:55 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 05, 2017, 06:01:02 PM
Currently on a ship in the Caribbean and spent today rearranging travel plans.
We were due to sail back into Havana Sat and to fly from Havana to Miami and spend a week in South Florida before flying back Miami to Dublin. Now completely changed the plans. Getting off the cruise in Jamaica tomorrow and flying back to Miami, few days in south Florida, then flying over to LA instead. Flying back from LA to Dublin. Possibly panicking but neither of us wants to be stuck in Havana if a devastating storm hits, and don't want to spend a week of hard earned hols on weather watch as we're doing at the mo.
I wouldnt stay in Miami unless you know for certain it wont be there? It's supposed to hit south florida monday 2am if you can get out to LA I'd go now Rois! no point in staying here for no reason? I know your man has a load of auld mates in the area but I wouldn't take the risk unless you had to...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight