Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Ulick on October 30, 2012, 10:10:13 AM
A little bit of wind and rain and the Yanks bring the whole country to a stop.  ;D

Yes, its hilarious stuff...

southdown

Death toll from "Nilam" cyclone in India has risen to 11 and is still ongoing.  This is also happening today and there have been numerous other disasters this year in developing nations.

Obvioulsy I hope that all those in the US are OK, but why do we/the media only seem to care if there is a disaster in America?

armaghniac

Quotebut why do we/the media only seem to care if there is a disaster in America?

• people know more people in America
  • people have often been to America
  • American disasters have better TV coverage
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I remember making the same point about Kathrina I think. People are naturally more predisposed to feel empathy with America because we feel like we know the place. A lot people have either been there, or have people there. We consume their foods, their TV programmes and their Sport. There is a lot of familiarity about the place and so any disaster which impacts the US will always strike a chord with the average person.

That is not to say that disasters in other parts of the world leave us cold, as our reaction to such disasters, and their charity drives, prove, but certainly it's a different type of feeling.

That said I had to laugh yesterday when listening to a podcast on college football. The host was in  Bristol, Connecticut, and while there was a bit of wind and rain, it escaped the worst of the storm, which seems to have hit Jersey and New York a lot harder.

The interviewee was trying her best to be solemn about it, but because the host couldn't really say he'd been badly affected she came out with 'My prayers are with those who lost their power'. Is sounded to ridiculous I had to laugh. I'm sure she could have picked a more significant hardship than sitting with candles for a few hours.

southdown

Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2012, 02:06:40 PM
Quotebut why do we/the media only seem to care if there is a disaster in America?

• people know more people in America
  • people have often been to America
  • American disasters have better TV coverage

I agree with your points Armaghniac, your points are spot on.  What grinds me is that these disasters result in deaths and if such a death takes place in the US it gets a lot more coverage than a similar death in say India or Pakistan which IMHO is simply wrong.

omagh_gael

Layer of snow here in Loughmacrory this morning. Starting to thaw now though.

omagh_gael

qwerty123

There's a storm coming, Harry.

Hereiam

We r in for a soaking. What is new about that

armaghniac

Fluffy white stuff on its way, Friday, at least on higher ground.

Hereiam

This has just developed over night. At one time yesterday it was heavy rain for us. Talking about 150mm (6") in places. The roads will be fun tomorrow evening.

omagh_gael

Looks like it could turn nasty tomorrow. Heavy snow forecast from midday to 9am Saturday morning. Going to stay very cold for rest of the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

armaghniac

QuoteThis has just developed over night. At one time yesterday it was heavy rain for us.

Who'd be a weatherman in this country? One degree colder and it is all quite different. Predict it wrong, either way, and you are a bollix.

ONeill

Think of the poor masters who might have to stay at home.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.