Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucius Fox

What the phuck is going on with the weather? p1ssed down all last nite, today and most of the last few days has been miserable...

think i need a holiday

Lucius Fox

sounds better than here anyway tram

whereabouts in oz are you?

Canalman

Lucius, He probably is in Melbourne from his description of the Weather.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: tram on August 07, 2008, 03:34:20 PM
Nope, Brisbane!

The climate here  is sub-tropical, kind of a cross between a tropical dry and wet season and a winter and summer season as we'd know it. At the moment it's winter here and the "dry" season. Days are grand, usually sunny into the high teens or low twenties and going to shops having "mid-winter sales" while wearing 3/4 shorts would never happen at home! But nights vary between a maximum of 14 if its cloudy and the low depends how far inland you're in, it can get to freezing occasionally in places west of the city like Ipswich and Toowoomba. A lack of humidity for this time of year makes temperatures feel cooler than the equivalent back in Ireland. The reports on the radio said that the last week in July had the coldest average temperature recorded in Brisbane in 20 years and that the month was four times wetter than normal for July which is no bad thing as there's a drought in most parts here and the rain helped ease water restrictions in places. The main ski areas in NSW and Victoria are getting plenty of snow for the slopes.

I live in a sub tropical climate as well but in the Northern Hemishphere, so it is hot and very humid here at the moment, mid 90's with a high percentage of humidity. It will rain sometime in the afternoon today as it does evey day during the summer, then it is very muggy again when the sun comes out to dry it all up. If I had a choice I would  rather be in a wet cool Mayo than this oppressive heat but the winters now that is different story all together just pure class as is Brisbane I am sure.

screenexile

I think we should list all the stupid sayings there are about the weather! I'll start...

It's that fine rain that soaks you right through

It can't make up its mind

It's a kind of dead 'oul heat

It's not warm

It's wile close

stephenite

I'm sitting in the "sun room" of the house in Sydney and it's f**king baltic cold.

It is 1am though - daytime warms up to a max of about 18cel at the moment. I don't mind the cold too much as I'm used to it.

It's when the heat hits above 30cel in  Dec-Jan-Feb that I suffer, not used to that!

Tankie

i would think that tourism in Ireland will take a big hit now as i cant see many people taking a chance with this weather again, and then there will also be less US tourist expected nect year too with how the dollor is!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Lucius Fox

Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2008, 03:56:37 PM
I think we should list all the stupid sayings there are about the weather! I'll start...

It's that fine rain that soaks you right through

It can't make up its mind

It's a kind of dead 'oul heat

It's not warm

It's wile close

it doesnt know if its coming or going

jaysus, there's a fierce heat (in ireland....!)

Tankie

Quote from: tram on August 07, 2008, 04:49:48 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 07, 2008, 04:40:16 PM
i would think that tourism in Ireland will take a big hit now as i cant see many people taking a chance with this weather again, and then there will also be less US tourist expected nect year too with how the dollor is!
The US Dollar is quite weak at the moment especially against the strong Euro. It's good for those in the Eurozone, and to a similar extent Sterling area, looking to buy American goods and products for use back home. I don't think the weather is that big of a factor, I've never known anyone coming to Ireland expecting sun, sea & sand - there's far better places for that! From what I've heard the old Aer Lingus Shannon to London Heathrow route used to have a high number of American tourists on it, the disappearance of that obviously would have hit the west.

sorry i didnt mean it like that. i cannot see many Irish people holidaying in ireland next year after two shocking summers and with the US dollor poor i think american tourism will slow down too.
Grand Slam Saturday!

bennydorano

I have been on holiday in Ireland these last 2 summers(Co Cork round the 12th last year and last week in Wexford)  and I've been remarkably lucky with the weather considering we've probably experienced the two worst summers ever in a row.

Puckoon

Its one hundred and 17 out there, and 95 in the shade... Man, my advice is to climb in the ice box and shut the door....

Puckoon

Coal. :D

Wee belfast voice sayin - Ask your coalman about the coal thats too hot for texas. :D

the Deel Rover

you were close tram :D :D :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Puckoon

Not really Deel - Id rather ate coal than drink budweiser!

the Deel Rover

I don't know Puckoon lately its the only thing i can drink without getting a massive hangover :(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001