Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 06, 2021, 07:19:56 PM
Right, but it's now the official reading of the relevant part of the constitution.

Of course.

Still fucked up in the extreme however.

J70

Quote from: smort on December 09, 2021, 12:34:09 PM
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/1209/1265709-travel-ireland/

So will this mean someone who's not a citizen and is traveling from Dublin to Donegal through Enniskillen or Omagh will have to do this, even if they're only passing through the six counties for an hour?

If so, surely it will mean border checkpoints at Lifford, Pettigo, Derry, Belleek, Derrylin-Belturbet, Aughnacloy etc.?

Otherwise, what's the point?

Rhetorical questions, BTW - the article says details are, unsurprisingly, lacking at this point.

Franko

tbrick18

Quote from: Franko on December 14, 2021, 01:37:22 PM
WTF is it with people abusing and murdering toddlers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-59637683

Saw this earlier. Horrific.
Prison is too good for people like this.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 14, 2021, 02:22:34 PM

WTF is wrong with people. How do we as a society stop these things from happening over and over again? The law needs to start coming down hard on these people. Life should be life for these vermin. They should never be entitled to a review, early release etc. In fact, life is too good for them. I see that bitch that murdered poor wee Arthur Labinjo-Hughes has been placed into solidarity confinement for her own safety. She is getting more protection than poor Arthur ever got.  Breaks my heart when I see these stores, I just cannot bring myself to read them. Absolutely disgusting excuses for individuals.

Rois

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and parent to a 15 month old.  You can imagine my reaction when I read some of the details (and had to stop). 

I just cannot, cannot understand how the wires in someone's brain get so crossed that they can do this.  In particular where mothers are involved. 

tbrick18

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on December 14, 2021, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on December 14, 2021, 02:22:34 PM

WTF is wrong with people. How do we as a society stop these things from happening over and over again? The law needs to start coming down hard on these people. Life should be life for these vermin. They should never be entitled to a review, early release etc. In fact, life is too good for them. I see that bitch that murdered poor wee Arthur Labinjo-Hughes has been placed into solidarity confinement for her own safety. She is getting more protection than poor Arthur ever got.  Breaks my heart when I see these stores, I just cannot bring myself to read them. Absolutely disgusting excuses for individuals.

It's just so far detached from the capabilities of any right thinking individual that we cannot comprehend the thought process of someone carrying out these vile acts against defenceless children.
I don't know what the answer is.
I saw on the news last night some video footage of the child covered in bruises, the grandad had reported it to social services and nothing happened. Heads should roll for that.

Earlier this year a small 2 year old child was murdered by her mother's partner in a house approximately 200m from where we live. We didn't know them even to see, but it really hit home hard that these people can be anywhere. It really effected us as parents and our kids quickly became aware of what had happened too. The only way we could explain it to them is that there are some evil people out there.

imtommygunn

I read a thread on twitter about this kind of thing after that wee boy was killed in England. There were a couple of interesting replies, not in a good way, from grandparents. There was one woman in particular had said she had been arrested multiple times for taking her grandchild of her daughter because the daughter was harming the child. Horrendous horrendous stuff.

Milltown Row2

It wouldn't make a matter what type of punishment was used, and I can think of plenty we'd like to be used on these people, it wouldn't stop it unfortunately.

People that are unfit to look after children shouldn't have children, simple. How you go about that is the hard part, continued assessment, spot checks, a points method. It won't stop that random out of the blue killing but will certainly reduce the continued abuse.

Social workers are getting a lot of flack and when they are wrong, they should be brought to task over it, but a few things to consider, their workload is way above it should be, the cases they look after won't allow them to do the job right.

Abusers are lairs, and very good at it, painting a lovely picture and ticking the right boxes.

All complaints should be thoroughly followed up by the case handler and someone who hasn't seen them before, social workers need to build rapport and confidence from their 'patients' if not they will not get what they need, another fresh eye will see things the case handler won't see.

None of this is possible if they don't fund it and encourage people into the job, I'd say its a horrible job, which has a toll on the mental health of those social workers as well.

The awful thing is I avoid these stories, its not good for the soul
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 16, 2021, 11:27:12 AM
It wouldn't make a matter what type of punishment was used, and I can think of plenty we'd like to be used on these people, it wouldn't stop it unfortunately.

People that are unfit to look after children shouldn't have children, simple. ]How you go about that is the hard part, continued assessment, spot checks, a points method. It won't stop that random out of the blue killing but will certainly reduce the continued abuse.

Social workers are getting a lot of flack and when they are wrong, they should be brought to task over it, but a few things to consider, their workload is way above it should be, the cases they look after won't allow them to do the job right.

Abusers are lairs, and very good at it, painting a lovely picture and ticking the right boxes.

All complaints should be thoroughly followed up by the case handler and someone who hasn't seen them before, social workers need to build rapport and confidence from their 'patients' if not they will not get what they need, another fresh eye will see things the case handler won't see.

None of this is possible if they don't fund it and encourage people into the job, I'd say its a horrible job, which has a toll on the mental health of those social workers as well.

The awful thing is I avoid these stories, its not good for the soul

Ah jaysus MR2, a legal minefield. Defining unfit is open to interpretation & abuse. If you split up with your missus, you could be vindictive & deem her unfit, say shes batshit . Unfit could be low IQ parents, homeless parents, poor parents, would feeding your children a poor diet be unfit, would leaving a 10 year old 10mins in the house alone while you go to local shop, not vaccinating children against Covid. Heaps of criteria & bureaucracy.
I know a case where a very active 14 month old, had a medical condition where he bruised easily, the parents were fantastic & Tulsa ended up getting involved. The mother who was a medical healthcare professional was distraught & it had a lasting effect on here mental health & over time proved that medication the child was taking for conjunctivitis caused low platelets in blood, leading to child bruising easily.
Its a difficult one regarding legalities, you have to be 100% certain abuse is taking place, before a child can be removed from parents.

Ethan Tremblay

I would try to stay clear of stories like these myself, I have found I am more sensitive to them since I had my own children, and seeing first-hand how innocent and vulnerable they are compounds the fact that what these people are doing is the lowest of the low. 

In terms of "unfit to look after children" it's a very open topic, and sometimes it is not necessarily abuse that would make someone unfit to care for a child, but rather how they are bringing them up.  I know guys I went to school with from rough backgrounds.  Parents into drinking, drugs and all sorts.  They were wild in school, and it was inevitable they would grow up to be the same as their parents. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

JoG2

Having to press the Christmas lights 7 times to make them static.