Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 26, 2014, 12:20:21 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 26, 2014, 12:01:47 PM
Rooney's capabilities are greatly exaggerated and imo he has never fulfilled the potential he had in his early 20's. To give him £300k a week was nothing short of desparation on Man Uniteds part to give the fans hope for the future, similarly with the Mata signing. Rooney is a good PL player but has been indulged by English press ever since he was christened as the 'white pele' of English football. A player that wanted a move to Man City a few years ago and who Ferguson would have ditched in the summer had he stayed around, has been able to dictate to the Man Utd board in order to get the most lucrative contract in English football history. All this at a time when he is barely in the top 10 performing players in the League and when his team are in freefall.

There are massive problems with the deal. A new barometer has been set for potential new signings. If Man Utd are in the market for top players in the summer, Rooney's deal will be used as a reference point.

I would expect a lot more than this supposed 'shift' that Rooney has put in this season and I don't see the productivity that befits a man getting £300k a week. His goals record for a player that has missed very few games through injury this season has been average for a supposed world class player. Sometimes when Rooney is not on his game he can look like a pub player although he has been a lot better this season than last. When he got awarded that new contract it was a case of the tail wagging the dog and has now set a dangerous precedent.

I suppose this is why, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real marid etc were enquiring about his availibility!?

Chelsea clearly were and he would have improved them, I think the other two were nothing more than paper talk.

English players in general live in their own little cocoon and are not very well cultured individuals in general. Contrast Rooneys football career where he has lived in a sheltered environment within 30 miles from home with other top South American and European players who prove their worth in foreign Leagues. That applies to not just Rooney but other English players in general. I have seen Rooney fail to live up to expectation too often in big CL games and major international tournaments to consider him among the worlds top players. He is one of the top players within the premier league but has none of the cultural, language or homesickness barriers to overcome.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on March 26, 2014, 12:33:30 PM
Rooney's capabilities are greatly exaggerated and imo he has never fulfilled the potential he had in his early 20's. To give him £300k a week was nothing short of desparation on Man Uniteds part to give the fans hope for the future, similarly with the Mata signing. Rooney is a good PL player but has been indulged by English press ever since he was christened as the 'white pele' of English football. A player that wanted a move to Man City a few years ago and who Ferguson would have ditched in the summer had he stayed around, has been able to dictate to the Man Utd board in order to get the most lucrative contract in English football history. All this at a time when he is barely in the top 10 performing players in the League and when his team are in freefall.

There are massive problems with the deal. A new barometer has been set for potential new signings. If Man Utd are in the market for top players in the summer, Rooney's deal will be used as a reference point.

I would expect a lot more than this supposed 'shift' that Rooney has put in this season and I don't see the productivity that befits a man getting £300k a week. His goals record for a player that has missed very few games through injury this season has been average for a supposed world class player. Sometimes when Rooney is not on his game he can look like a pub player although he has been a lot better this season than last. When he got awarded that new contract it was a case of the tail wagging the dog and has now set a dangerous precedent.

I suppose this is why, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real marid etc were enquiring about his availibility!?

Chelsea clearly were and he would have improved them, I think the other two were nothing more than paper talk.

English players in general live in their own little cocoon and are not very well cultured individuals in general. Contrast Rooneys football career where he has lived in a sheltered environment within 30 miles from home with other top South American and European players who prove their worth in foreign Leagues. That applies to not just Rooney but other English players in general. I have seen Rooney fail to live up to expectation too often in big CL games and major international tournaments to consider him among the worlds top players. He is one of the top players within the premier league but has none of the cultural, language or homesickness barriers to overcome.   

Are you the Liverpool equivalent of EC unique? BC1, Laoislad deiseach have a word please......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EC Unique

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2014, 11:55:19 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on March 25, 2014, 11:12:26 PM
Most Utd fans will admit that enough is enough and sadly it has not worked out for Moyes.

I fear the reality is that he will get at least to the end of this calendar year and probably all of next season year to prove himself.

It will be interesting to see who he buys in the summer. Getting great players is one thing but using them properly is another. See Mata as an example.
How pathetic are Utd Fans. Fergie left Moyes a done team with two decent players who won the league last year by default. So forward thinking was fergie that he brought Scholes back and hailed Giggs as vital. Moyes needs to be given next year and money to sort out the problems. Tell you what no wonder PeP went to Bayern.

::) ::)

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2014, 12:43:27 PM

Are you the Liverpool equivalent of EC unique? BC1, Laoislad deiseach have a word please......

Not sure what that is but if you disagree with my opinion then fine. I must have hit a nerve by questioning Rooney's conract.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on March 26, 2014, 12:53:48 PM

Not sure what that is but if you disagree with my opinion then fine. I must have hit a nerve by questioning Rooney's conract.

No nerve, that's what he's worth to Utd, business wise its good for the club in general, as a player (goal from halfway line other day) he's on another level. still plenty time to build another team at Utd, is that for Moyes to do? don't know. Fergie built up a few different teams to win leagues, I don't see how this won't happen in next few years. I suppose Liverpool thought the same but that was at a differnt time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2014, 12:58:12 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 26, 2014, 12:53:48 PM

No nerve, that's what he's worth to Utd, business wise its good for the club in general, as a player (goal from halfway line other day) he's on another level. still plenty time to build another team at Utd, is that for Moyes to do? don't know. Fergie built up a few different teams to win leagues, I don't see how this won't happen in next few years. I suppose Liverpool thought the same but that was at a differnt time

The jury is still out but if he was appointed to the job he has to be given the chance to choose his own players and implement his own tactics. To date he has failed on both counts but he deserves another year to prove that he is capable of building a team. I think he struggled early on at Everton and some doubted his capabilities early on there.

I'm not saying he is up to the job (the evidence to date is that he has struggled), but if another manager comes in now and struggles next season then it will be even worse since it is unlikely to be a Ferguson appointment. Then the fans will vent their anger against the Glazers and it could throw the club into complete turmoil. Be careful what you wish for. I don't like to see a man suffer the way Moyes is evidently suffering at the minute. You can see the stress in both his face and his demeanour, I'd say he will be relieved to see the end of this season.

GJL

Getting rid of Moyes now will fix nothing and it won't happen anyway. He will get at least another year to prove himself. A few good purchases in the summer will solve a multitude of problems. Munich will be cruel and the sooner that is over the better. Heads down until next season I think.

laoislad

Quote from: GJL on March 26, 2014, 01:54:02 PM
Getting rid of Moyes now will fix nothing and it won't happen anyway. He will get at least another year to prove himself. A few good purchases in the summer will solve a multitude of problems. Munich will be cruel and the sooner that is over the better. Heads down until next season I think.

All this talk of Moyes being a failure is far too premature.
He needs to be given time to fail properly.....
#moyesin
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on March 26, 2014, 01:58:58 PM
Quote from: GJL on March 26, 2014, 01:54:02 PM

All this talk of Moyes being a failure is far too premature.
He needs to be given time to fail properly.....
#moyesin
+1.

screenexile

Have to say Paul Scholes was a revelation in the pundit box last night I thought he was excellent and summed up everything he was asked honestly and correctly!!

His thoughts on Arsenal were right on the money.

He can kick a ball off a tree as well you know!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on March 26, 2014, 09:21:05 AM
Quote from: deiseach on March 26, 2014, 09:06:46 AM
While I'm enjoying Man Utd's current woes - not so much last night, really could have done with them getting a result - I wouldn't sneer at fans who have 'had enough'. The problem here is entirely down to Moyes. Anyone could do better than he is doing. For Christ's  sake, Bayern replaced their all-conquering manager in the summer and got better. If a couple of players are swinging the lead, the problem is the players in question. If most of the players are swinging the lead, the problem is the manager. How much more evidence do the Man Utd board need that he isn't up to it? (I look forward to finding out)

Don't agree with that at all. If he is not up to the job (as he may well be) then questions need to be asked of those who appointed him and their judgement ie Alex Ferguson. Part of the reason that the fans in the stadium haven't turned more forcefully on Moyes is because it was Ferguson who appointed Moyes and told them to 'stand by their manager'. If it had been the Glazers that had appointed Moyes he would have been gone by Christmas. Therefore can you imagine the next manager appointed who in all likelihood WON'T have the backing of Ferguson and will be perceived to have been a GLAZER appointment. He will get a lot less leeway yet will still have a rotting squad with a multitude of deficiencies. God knows where this will end up as they have spent £65m already yet have got worse as the season has gone on. They need to spend big in the summer which if it isn't got right, could put the whole future of the club in jeopardy given the debt levels that already exist.

In fairness any astute manager would have directed Manchester United to fourth place this season and that should be the least to expect after winning the league title by eleven points last season. Those who appointed David Moyes are to blame and i think that includes Ferguson.

AZOffaly

Is it towing the line, as in pulling the line behind you, or toeing the line, as in stepping up to a mark? Genuine question.

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 26, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
Is it towing the line, as in pulling the line behind you, or toeing the line, as in stepping up to a mark? Genuine question.

To toe the line means to conform to, or comply with, a standard.  So it's "toeing"

All of a Sludden

Manchester City Starting XI last night:

Hart £600k
Zabaleta £6.5m
Kompany £6m
Demichelis £4m
Clichy £7m
Nasri £24m
Silva £26m
Yaya £24m
Fernandinho £30m
Jesus Navas £15m
Dzeko £27m

Total = £171.6m

Manchester United Starting XI Last Night

DeGea £19m
Evra £5.5m
Ferdinand £30m
Jones £16.5m
Rafael £2.6m
Carrick £18.6m
Cleverley Academy
Fellaini £27.5m
Mata £ 37m
Rooney £25.6m
Welbeck Academy

Total = £182.3m
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.