Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2021, 05:33:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 12, 2021, 05:27:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 12, 2021, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 12, 2021, 04:18:50 PM
I am going to buck the trend a little here. I think that England team have a great shot at the next World Cup. They are strong defensively particularly at full back with plenty of options and have plenty of exciting options moving forward. They are also very young and in 17 months could really challenge. They don't have the greatest midfield but Bellingham will be older by then and may improve that area. I really hope I'm wrong.

If you were to offer me any squad for the next WC I'd probably take the French squad with the English squad slightly behind.

What these 2 tournaments have shown is that there is no outstanding team in international football and in cup football a lot depends on the draw, conditions, suspensions, injuries etc. This same Italy team failed to even qualify for the 2018 World Cup. England are probably one of several countries who could potentially win the competition (there are up to 10) but they would probably need a lot of these things to go in their favour again, particularly the draw. I definitely wouldn't put them as the second best side in world football.

Because of where we get our sports news, we are fed a constant diet of hype around English players some of whom are really very ordinary. They do have some excellent full backs and an abundance of attacking talent but in other areas of the pitch they have shortcomings. I don't know much about Bellingham but they badly need an improvement in centre midfield particularly in the heat of Qatar where an ability to retain possession will be even more important. I just don't think they produce those types of technical players who are capable of dominating the ball and who are invaluable in summer tournament football.
Foden, Grealish and Sancho are all serious players. Saka is only a kid yet but still a very good player, as is Greenwood and will only get better. Rashford fit and in form is world class too, as is Sterling in the form he has been for England. No better full back in the world than Shaw either.

..... really?

I didn't see this post coming.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2021, 06:45:33 PM
England are a good side but just not good enough to win big tournaments.

Pickford was excellent throughout

Pickford was woeful.  Can pull off a decent save but his distribution was dog-shit

Armagh18

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 12, 2021, 05:54:43 PM
Seen a few comments knocking Declan Rice and saying he's no big loss to Ireland, people haven't been watching much football if they don't realise Rice walks into our midfield and would instantly make us a better team.
As for England, Pickford is a top goalie, was solid for Everton since Christmas and was possibly England's player of the tournament. Their defence is solid with plenty of options, up front they have talent and options, it's only midfield they're lacking at the minute but with Bellingham, Foden, Sancho etc all coming through they have the makings of a top team. It's only the negative tactics of Southgate that will hold them back
Rice is a decent player and far better than anything Ireland have but that's not saying much. Needs another creative player beside him in that team, him and Phillips is overkill.

Armagh18

Can't believe people are singing Pickfords praises. Bang average keeper with worse feet than Michael Darragh McAuley. Only good thing he ever did was empty Van Dijk.

rodney trotter

He's no Donnarumma that's for sure.

Armagh18

Marcus Rashford is an absolute class act. I've loads of sympathy for the lad. Just a pity it wasn't Kane or Grealish to miss the pen.

SHEEDY

The four players that get the most stick for apparently being sh#te turned out to be England's best players through the tournament, that's pickford, maguire, shaw and sterling.

Agree about rashford, class act, great role model.
nil satis nisi optimum

BennyCake

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 12, 2021, 10:00:20 PM
Can't believe people are singing Pickfords praises. Bang average keeper with worse feet than Michael Darragh McAuley. Only good thing he ever did was empty Van Dijk.

I'm no Liverpool fan but there's no need for that.

Solo_run

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 12, 2021, 10:00:20 PM

Look at the beauty Denmark scored against him.

Teams are getting near him for shots because they are so bloody defensive. He was sh***ing himself last night when the defence were being stretched

imtommygunn

He did ok last night. He was brutal against Denmark.

Rice would clearly add plenty for Ireland. Honestly think grealish's footballing brain on another level to a lot of England players. It'd be interesting to see him at a big club.

This hasn't brought out the best in some English fans. I read an opinion there on Twitter that the penalty takers were picked intentionally for political reasons and that was southgate's fault. I dunno how someone even comes up with that never mind believes it.

Milltown Row2

Pickford pulled off some cracking saves. Golden gloves of tournament and saved two penalties, saved the first shot and was not at fault on the rebound.

Yea the guy is a ADHD type fella but played well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

caprea

For all the talk and all the attempts to blame Southgate, the defeat is on Rashford more than anyone else.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: caprea on July 12, 2021, 11:43:59 PM
For all the talk and all the attempts to blame Southgate, the defeat is on Rashford more than anyone else.

Eh? He played 1 minute in the game, help me out here on that one