Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

What I don't understand is why were the players ,that we just brought on, not given a ball to do some pressure warm up drills for the 10 mins it took to organize the penalties. I looked for it and didn't see it.

Also England looked disorganized when trying to get the players on the pitch. The Italians took a quick throw to prevent them coming on the first time, but the second attempt (at Italy's corner) Rashford ran back to the seats to get instructions etc, I was waiting for the Italians to take a short corner to prevent them getting on. Looked really amateurish

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on July 12, 2021, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 12, 2021, 04:18:50 PM
I am going to buck the trend a little here. I think that England team have a great shot at the next World Cup. They are strong defensively particularly at full back with plenty of options and have plenty of exciting options moving forward. They are also very young and in 17 months could really challenge. They don't have the greatest midfield but Bellingham will be older by then and may improve that area. I really hope I'm wrong.

If you were to offer me any squad for the next WC I'd probably take the French squad with the English squad slightly behind.

What these 2 tournaments have shown is that there is no outstanding team in international football and in cup football a lot depends on the draw, conditions, suspensions, injuries etc. This same Italy team failed to even qualify for the 2018 World Cup. England are probably one of several countries who could potentially win the competition (there are up to 10) but they would probably need a lot of these things to go in their favour again, particularly the draw. I definitely wouldn't put them as the second best side in world football.

Because of where we get our sports news, we are fed a constant diet of hype around English players some of whom are really very ordinary. They do have some excellent full backs and an abundance of attacking talent but in other areas of the pitch they have shortcomings. I don't know much about Bellingham but they badly need an improvement in centre midfield particularly in the heat of Qatar where an ability to retain possession will be even more important. I just don't think they produce those types of technical players who are capable of dominating the ball and who are invaluable in summer tournament football.
Foden, Grealish and Sancho are all serious players. Saka is only a kid yet but still a very good player, as is Greenwood and will only get better. Rashford fit and in form is world class too, as is Sterling in the form he has been for England. No better full back in the world than Shaw either.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 12, 2021, 05:27:13 PM
I am going to buck the trend a little here. I think that England team have a great shot at the next World Cup. They are strong defensively particularly at full back with plenty of options and have plenty of exciting options moving forward. They are also very young and in 17 months could really challenge. They don't have the greatest midfield but Bellingham will be older by then and may improve that area. I really hope I'm wrong.

If you were to offer me any squad for the next WC I'd probably take the French squad with the English squad slightly behind.

What these 2 tournaments have shown is that there is no outstanding team in international football and in cup football a lot depends on the draw, conditions, suspensions, injuries etc. This same Italy team failed to even qualify for the 2018 World Cup. England are probably one of several countries who could potentially win the competition (there are up to 10) but they would probably need a lot of these things to go in their favour again, particularly the draw. I definitely wouldn't put them as the second best side in world football.

Because of where we get our sports news, we are fed a constant diet of hype around English players some of whom are really very ordinary. They do have some excellent full backs and an abundance of attacking talent but in other areas of the pitch they have shortcomings. I don't know much about Bellingham but they badly need an improvement in centre midfield particularly in the heat of Qatar where an ability to retain possession will be even more important. I just don't think they produce those types of technical players who are capable of dominating the ball and who are invaluable in summer tournament football.
Foden, Grealish and Sancho are all serious players. Saka is only a kid yet but still a very good player, as is Greenwood and will only get better. Rashford fit and in form is world class too, as is Sterling in the form he has been for England. No better full back in the world than Shaw either.

..... really?

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2021, 05:33:19 PM

..... really?

He plays for Man Utd, so...

yellowcard

They have a lot of attacking talent but their best player is Kane so it is likely that only 2 and at the very most 3 of those players will be on the pitch at the same time. Most of those players still have plenty to prove yet too, Rashford for example has not fulfilled his potential and his development has stalled. Shaw is vastly improved in the last season or two but its pure hyperbole to suggest that he is the best full back in the world!

Capt Pat

Shaw scored a cracking goal last night but he doesn't always deiver like that. If he did he would be a candidate for best fullback in the world. Defensively he is sound but going forward he is not that dangerous. That is why he is given the freedom of the park going foward as other teams do not fear him, this has made him look good in this tournament.

Give me Spinazola any day of the week at left back.

SHEEDY

Seen a few comments knocking Declan Rice and saying he's no big loss to Ireland, people haven't been watching much football if they don't realise Rice walks into our midfield and would instantly make us a better team.
As for England, Pickford is a top goalie, was solid for Everton since Christmas and was possibly England's player of the tournament. Their defence is solid with plenty of options, up front they have talent and options, it's only midfield they're lacking at the minute but with Bellingham, Foden, Sancho etc all coming through they have the makings of a top team. It's only the negative tactics of Southgate that will hold them back
nil satis nisi optimum

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JoG2

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 12, 2021, 05:54:43 PM
Seen a few comments knocking Declan Rice and saying he's no big loss to Ireland, people haven't been watching much football if they don't realise Rice walks into our midfield and would instantly make us a better team.
As for England, Pickford is a top goalie, was solid for Everton since Christmas and was possibly England's player of the tournament. Their defence is solid with plenty of options, up front they have talent and options, it's only midfield they're lacking at the minute but with Bellingham, Foden, Sancho etc all coming through they have the makings of a top team. It's only the negative tactics of Southgate that will hold them back

It was one of BennyCake's left field observations!  ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

England are a good side but just not good enough to win big tournaments.

Pickford was excellent throughout

BennyCake

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 12, 2021, 05:54:43 PM

He doesn't walk into the Ireland team because he opted to play for England. So it's all irrelevant isn't it? Zidane would've walked into the Ireland team but he wasn't Irish either.

I've nothing against Rice (or the others) for it. He has Irish roots but he was born and reared in England and identifies more as English than Irish. Not difficult to understand that.What's to get worked up about? I heard it said Ireland should've capped him properly so he couldn't opt to England. I'm glad he wasn't capped properly, because his heart obviously lies with England, so he'd have only reluctantly played for Ireland.

RedHand88

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 12, 2021, 05:45:35 PM
Shaw scored a cracking goal last night but he doesn't always deiver like that. If he did he would be a candidate for best fullback in the world. Defensively he is sound but going forward he is not that dangerous. That is why he is given the freedom of the park going foward as other teams do not fear him, this has made him look good in this tournament.

Give me Spinazola any day of the week at left back.

Or Andy Robertson.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2021, 06:45:33 PM
England are a good side but just not good enough to win big tournaments.

Pickford was excellent throughout
Rorocesses
They are becoming more consistent and their processes are improving
If France could do it, I don't see why England can't. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Solo_run

Quote from: JoG2 on July 12, 2021, 08:28:07 PM
https://www.change.org/p/uefa-rematch-between-england-vs-italy?source_location=petitions_browse

Ha! They will have to pay the Denmark game first. Clowns. Looking at the salty comments is quite amusing though.