Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2021, 12:07:15 AM
There be some Covid increase in England nxt few weeks.

Hopefully not or Tony will try to limit attendance to All-Ireland to 500 people, irrespective of whether they are vaccinated or not.

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on July 12, 2021, 12:09:20 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2021, 12:07:15 AM
There be some Covid increase in England nxt few weeks.

Hopefully not or Tony will try to limit attendance to All-Ireland to 500 people, irrespective of whether they are vaccinated or not.

And it is two months away, not that it matters to T

Saffrongael

That was some craic

Forza Italia
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Dire Ear

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 12, 2021, 12:00:25 AM
All on southgate that, poor tactics, sat back and let Italy control the match. Letting a kid take 5th penalty is inexcusable, sterling, shaw or grealish should've been before saka.

Yip

screenexile

Wasn't much in that and yeah England were probably a bit too conservative but they were very close to winning it. They're young and while Southgate made a mistake today they'll learn from this and take it to the next few tournaments. They're very dangerous!

Having said that I really enjoyed them getting beat. While the players seem relatively decent (except for Utd pricks obvs) hits the supporters and media are f**king clowns and they need to wind their necks in!!

They're not far away though!

Sportacus

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2021, 01:06:11 AM
Wasn't much in that and yeah England were probably a bit too conservative but they were very close to winning it. They're young and while Southgate made a mistake today they'll learn from this and take it to the next few tournaments. They're very dangerous!

Having said that I really enjoyed them getting beat. While the players seem relatively decent (except for Utd pricks obvs) hits the supporters and media are f**king clowns and they need to wind their necks in!!

Relax, you're watching too much ITV!  They had 6 home games and were in the easy side of the draw. That was their chance and they weren't good enough.  They'll not recover from this. In the World Cup they'll fall to the first or second decent team they meet. 

maldini

Quote from: laoislad on July 11, 2021, 11:31:19 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 11, 2021, 11:28:19 PM
We all know Grealish is a snake but the fact he bottled taking one and let a 19 yr old have to step up says it all
Sterling also.

Surely in this day of analysis and stats England would have had their penalty takers selected wel before the shoot out tonite
Would explain why Sancho and Rashford were brought on tonight i the 129th minute

People seem mad to blame others for some reason

Solo_run

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2021, 01:06:11 AM

They barely played anyone and when they played Denmark they relied on a dive. Harry Kane is diving all over the place as are Grealish and Stirling. The latter two tonight showed they have no bottle.

Italy completely controlled that game and the stats showed it. England had 35% possession and only 2 shots on target while Italy had 6. It would have been a different story had Cheisa been able to stay on.

Personally I would have given Sancho and Rashford more game time, imagine going into a game having barely touched the ball and then having to take a penalty.

I won't say England's goal was a fluke but they took advantage of an opportunity they were never going to get again. England can't play compact  the way they do against teams like Italy, Spain and most of the South American countries.

I think they are imposters on the world stage. They had an easy route last world cup, an easy route this championship. They had all but one game at home and still couldn't win the dam thing.

screenexile

Lads you're mad if you don't think England are a decent team!!

I'm no fan but they'll hold their own no matter who they play. Also they will improve and Southgate should have had Sancho and Grealish on earlier.

Capt Pat

Southgate gets a lot more credit than he deserves. He is a decent but limited coach. He has a lot of attacking talent at his disposal but prefers to lean on a decent defence and defensive tactics. Sancho is already a well established attacking talent at the top level but not at international level because Southgate doesn't give him a chance. He didn't have Foden tonight but had dropped him previously anyway.

Grealish is also a class act but only gets his chance to make an impact as a sub. Saka also got dropped in favour of the defender Trippier. Southgate caught a big break tonight with Shaws early goal but his team were unable to take advantage because of the managers negative tactics.

In terms of the future, the team is young but a world cup in Qatar might not be to Englands liking either. So tonight was Englands big opportunity but Southgate failed to maximise Englands chances playing at home by being too defensive minded imho.

red hander

Delighted to see Rice bawling his lamps out. Tosser.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2021, 01:47:56 AM
Lads you're mad if you don't think England are a decent team!!

I'm no fan but they'll hold their own no matter who they play. Also they will improve and Southgate should have had Sancho and Grealish on earlier.

They had a few advantages here which are unlikely to be repeated. They had home advantage, no significant injuries and let's be honest couldn't have had an easier draw. Italy are worthy champions given the really tough draw they got. England were impressive and looked to have a real threat v the weaker teams on their side of the draw but after they scored yesterday Italy totally bossed them. They are young though and have lots of pace so I'd expect them to challenge again over the next decade.

brokencrossbar1

England just didn't have the balls to win it. They got the early goal and Southgate was like Mourinho-lite and parked the bus. There was a possession stat at one point where the Italians had 71-29%. That's ridiculous between allegedly the best 2 teams in Europe. They got the early goal and closed up shop,  not another shot on target for basically the whole game and extra time. 

Italy are a top striker away from being a brilliant team. A player with the ability of Kane (not his personality or attitude though, snide, sneaky fecker, could imagine him wearing a red beret and fatigues), would transform them. Chiesa, Insigne, have good cut up front but a proper no 9 would transform them. Immobile just doesn't do it.

As for the penalties the reality is that's a lottery. I had no issue with Rashford taking one even though he was just on. He is and experienced penalty taker and hit a very good one which was just a few inches from perfection. Saka and Sancho though shouldn't have hit them. Southgate got that wrong and he has to deal with the consequences. Sancho has just been landed with a big burden now on his shoulders on top of the already huge expectations of joining United. This could be very hard to carry and he will be reminded of it on a regular basis and the racist thugs are well on their way online to doing so.

All in all though Italy are the deserved winners. England had the best chance to win a tournament given the draw, the location and the fact that they had basically 95% support in the stadiums for the last few games. They shit the nest. Italy were well ahead of them except for the final ball during the 120 minutes of play. England had no real cut.  I always say a team reflects their manager,  nice, tidy, good footballers, miss penalties under pressure!

Rudi

Seen videos of English supporters in the stadium (middle aged men) kicking & hammering Italian supporters, what utter scumbags. Online abuse of the 3 black lads that missed penos to, utter scum. Glad they got beat & the manner of the loss all the better.

Itchy

Quote from: Rudi on July 12, 2021, 08:49:52 AM
Seen videos of English supporters in the stadium (middle aged men) kicking & hammering Italian supporters, what utter scumbags. Online abuse of the 3 black lads that missed penos to, utter scum. Glad they got beat & the manner of the loss all the better.

Those weren't Italians, they were English fans wearing their away Jersey. They'd just stormed in without tickets and other English fans went fighting them.

In what was a very bad weekend for Cavan gaa, at least one result went my way. Thank you Italy.