Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Agree, dodgy call aside the best team won, although the spirit Denmark showed throughout the tournament should be commended for sure. 

Sterling was immense to watch and was causing bother with his direct running at players. 

Given the dubious nature of the penalty, and how 'soft' England are playing for free's, I would think they are now earmarked as easy touches which may well count against them in the final. 

Finally, the English media, fans and to a degree the commentary team (ITV) are a disgrace.  Its one them to be excited for your team, its another to be booing the opposition, disrespecting your opponents (that daily mirror back page was cringy) and to gloss over incidents within the game that surly they should be impartial on?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

tiempo

Would have preferred Spain in the final as they would have given England a footballing lesson on their own patch, but Italy will grind them down in other ways all being well. How Lee Dixon and that other dope are considered the A list comms team for ITV is beyond me, made the game almost unwatchable, not a patch on outstanding broadcasters of days gone by, Brian Moore being my fav groundball commentator, and Bob Wilson in the studio was always a class act. I like Ian Wright's enthusiasm and how he backs the team no matter what, has been backing them up consistently over the years well before their current peak, Roy Keane strikes a good balance between point blank assessment with a bit of levity, but I can't abide Gary Neville, makes my ears bleed.

BennyCake

Quote from: Taylor on July 08, 2021, 10:22:37 AM
Hard to argue with the outcome of the game even if there were some dodgy calls during the game.

Sterling & Walker are absolute machines from a speed/fitness perspective - Sterling in particular has had an unbelievable tournament compared to the dirt he was playing for City last season.

Shaw has been fantastic going forward but Italy could find joy if they put him on the back foot.

As Shark said Emerson will be under serious pressure and England have to target him.

Pickford is the weak link in the England team - should have had the free kick, his distribution was erratic & then this punching the ball shite when under no pressure.

Should be a good final between the best two teams in the tournament.

Who gives a shite now if it's a good game? I don't care if it's dire, as long as Italy win. That's all that matters.

yellowcard

The final is very finely balanced. Italy have a much better midfield but I think England have more quality in the final third of the pitch. England's midfield is set up to contain and protect their own back four but not to control the match and so far it has worked for Southgate. This is a higher level of opponent though as the draw has been very kind to them enroute to the final. Spinazzola is a huge loss for Italy and England can target this area. If Sterling carries his form into the final and himself and Kane win the same number of free kicks as they did last night then Maguire is a serious threat from set pieces.

Southgate has a decision to make in terms of whether he starts Saka. He is a promising player but he is not better than either Foden or Grealish. He will probably keep the same starting XI though and hold those players back as impact subs. It could go all the way to penalties this match. 

Saffrongael

I think Spain would have played England off the pitch but the lack of cutting edge may have done them in, let's hope Italy take every chance they get
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

I honestly think England will really struggle to break down that Italy defense but the question is will the reverse also be the case. To be fair England are a very good team but Kane is having to drop too deep to get the ball and it's bringing him out of danger areas. It'll be interesting to see how Chielini (spelling) handles Kane who tbh is one of the biggest divers I have seen in the game. Very good player no doubt and makes things happen.

There are too many nerves for them to win it IMO. Pickford is a mistake waiting to happen.

I thought Saka was very good for England. Mount I am not sure about would be my main question on their starting 11. Foden definitely added a lot and Grealish has very good touch and can win a free kick. (to be fair he isn't that bad a diver)

mouview

For all Sterling's strong running, too often nothing comes off it; dispossessed, intercepted or gives it away with his final pass. Same way for Citeh in CL final.

Taylor

Quote from: mouview on July 08, 2021, 11:53:19 AM
For all Sterling's strong running, too often nothing comes off it; dispossessed, intercepted or gives it away with his final pass. Same way for Citeh in CL final.

This is entirely true for how he played for City all season (particularly the second half of it) but I couldnt say the same during this tournament.

He has been outstanding and one of the reasons England are in the final.

I cant see Pep letting him leave now - and if he does the transfer fee will be significantly higher than what was being discussed pre tournament

Hoof Hearted

Imagine waking up on the glorious 12th and England euro champs  :(
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bigarsedkeeper

Hard to argue with the outcome of the game even if there were some dodgy calls during the game.

Sterling & Walker are absolute machines from a speed/fitness perspective - Sterling in particular has had an unbelievable tournament compared to the dirt he was playing for City last season.

Shaw has been fantastic going forward but Italy could find joy if they put him on the back foot.

As Shark said Emerson will be under serious pressure and England have to target him.

Pickford is the weak link in the England team - should have had the free kick, his distribution was erratic & then this punching the ball shite when under no pressure.

Anybody else think Southgate will go back to the back 5 for the final? He did it as soon as they went ahead last night. Gives him that bit of cover at the back - or that's the thinking behind it anyway

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 08, 2021, 12:55:10 PM
Imagine waking up on the glorious 12th and England euro champs  :(

The bone fires will be lit early!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 08, 2021, 01:23:21 PM

Anybody else think Southgate will go back to the back 5 for the final? He did it as soon as they went ahead last night. Gives him that bit of cover at the back - or that's the thinking behind it anyway

Yes I think this will happen.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2021, 11:39:57 AM
I honestly think England will really struggle to break down that Italy defense but the question is will the reverse also be the case. To be fair England are a very good team but Kane is having to drop too deep to get the ball and it's bringing him out of danger areas. It'll be interesting to see how Chielini (spelling) handles Kane who tbh is one of the biggest divers I have seen in the game. Very good player no doubt and makes things happen.

There are too many nerves for them to win it IMO. Pickford is a mistake waiting to happen.

I thought Saka was very good for England. Mount I am not sure about would be my main question on their starting 11. Foden definitely added a lot and Grealish has very good touch and can win a free kick. (to be fair he isn't that bad a diver)
Not sure how Mount and Saka are in ahead of Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood and whoever else I'm probably forgetting.

And as for the bolded, hopefully with a headbutt to his smug diving face when Italy are 3 nil up!

Armagh18

Forgot Foden. Christ they have some serious attackers.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 08, 2021, 01:29:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2021, 11:39:57 AM

Not sure how Mount and Saka are in ahead of Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood and whoever else I'm probably forgetting.

And as for the bolded, hopefully with a headbutt to his smug diving face when Italy are 3 nil up!

Oh for a Marco Materazzi in his pomp..