Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: smelmoth on June 30, 2021, 01:34:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2021, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 30, 2021, 08:47:51 AM
Last couple of pages don't make for pretty reading. Is it xenophobia or a more general petty small mindedness that is the dominant characteristic of some of these posters?

Although the tournament is less interesting when they get knocked out, like most Irish fans I want them to lose. For historical and geographical reasons they will always be the team that you want to beat most, I think that is perfectly normal. No different to my local GAA club or county rivalry, the team that you want to lose most is your next door neighbour. What is sport without rivalry anyway. If that is small mindedness then I am 100% guilty.

I have said previously I have no issue with you or anyone else wanting England or anyone else. That is not what I am claiming is small minded. It is however small minded to decry fans of England for celebrating, singing the 3 lions song etc or the coverage the media gave to England winning their first ever meaningful euro championship knock out match without recourse to penalties. A victory like that, at home, against the side associated with so many previous failures (and the Southgate connection to all that). And there is the ridiculous pretence that other countries would have reacted differently. That very definitely is small minded.

Well I don't really have any problems with any of that stuff, its par for the course and we'd be just as bad if Ireland had a bit of success. And the Three Lions is actually a good tune! Traditionally I would have had a problem with the right wing Rule Britannia type mostly associated with supporting the England national football team but that does seem to have subsided slightly in recent years although I suspect it is still bubbling there somewhere. Southgate seems like a decent bloke and the current batch of players seem for the large part decent lads as well. I'd gladly take a glorious failure in the final for them!

nrico2006

Englands win last night deserves to get the reaction its getting in the country.  Look at the Irish reaction when they draw a game in a tournament, never mind win a knock-out tie.  Add to that the reaction when they beat New Zealand in a rugby friendly, the reaction to the Irish fans trying to be universally liked in the last Euro's etc. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

smelmoth

Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2021, 01:51:12 PM
Last couple of pages don't make for pretty reading. Is it xenophobia or a more general petty small mindedness that is the dominant characteristic of some of these posters?

Although the tournament is less interesting when they get knocked out, like most Irish fans I want them to lose. For historical and geographical reasons they will always be the team that you want to beat most, I think that is perfectly normal. No different to my local GAA club or county rivalry, the team that you want to lose most is your next door neighbour. What is sport without rivalry anyway. If that is small mindedness then I am 100% guilty.

I have said previously I have no issue with you or anyone else wanting England or anyone else. That is not what I am claiming is small minded. It is however small minded to decry fans of England for celebrating, singing the 3 lions song etc or the coverage the media gave to England winning their first ever meaningful euro championship knock out match without recourse to penalties. A victory like that, at home, against the side associated with so many previous failures (and the Southgate connection to all that). And there is the ridiculous pretence that other countries would have reacted differently. That very definitely is small minded.

Well I don't really have any problems with any of that stuff, its par for the course and we'd be just as bad if Ireland had a bit of success. And the Three Lions is actually a good tune! Traditionally I would have had a problem with the right wing Rule Britannia type mostly associated with supporting the England national football team but that does seem to have subsided slightly in recent years although I suspect it is still bubbling there somewhere. Southgate seems like a decent bloke and the current batch of players seem for the large part decent lads as well. I'd gladly take a glorious failure in the final for them!

100% agree with that.

The Rule Britannia brigrade might never completely go away but the more they are drowned out the better

Armagh18

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 30, 2021, 01:42:45 PM
Couple of GAAboard posters now wanting England to go on and win it or to "see them do well".
Jesus Christ the night, I've seen it all now.
Probably all stoopers as well
Look fair play to them that's a serious result last night and if I was English I'd be celebrating it like mad as well. But jesus I could never wish them the best and hope Ukraine bate the off the field at the weekend.

trailer

We should all be cheering for England, after all, they do have a few Irish lads playing for them.

Mikhail Prokhorov

west brits out in force today i see,

not surprising from the nordies but the rest  ::)

just get the tans beat and be done all with this fawning  ;)

Franko

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 30, 2021, 01:57:40 PM
Englands win last night deserves to get the reaction its getting in the country.  Look at the Irish reaction when they draw a game in a tournament, never mind win a knock-out tie.  Add to that the reaction when they beat New Zealand in a rugby friendly, the reaction to the Irish fans trying to be universally liked in the last Euro's etc.

Christ that was genuinely nauseating stuff.

trailer

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 30, 2021, 03:26:37 PM
west brits out in force today i see,

not surprising from the nordies but the rest  ::)

just get the tans beat and be done all with this fawning  ;)

You're dead right. I have told all my staff if England win the Euros they can have the Monday off.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2021, 01:51:12 PM

I'd rather take a glorious failure in the quarter finals!

RedHand88

Couple of GAAboard posters now wanting England to go on and win it or to "see them do well".

Swing and a miss. Shinner here, even canvassed for them in 2017. Just don't think you should begrudge Sterling, Pickford, Kane etc because of the troubles. All these lads were born in the 90s and wouldn't have the faintest connection to them.

Besides, the England team are the only one left with a former GAA player in their ranks.

Armamike

England's joyous reaction to beating Germany needs to be understood in terms of the context. Compared to the other large European countries, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, their record in tournament football is awful.  Truly mediocre given their resources, compared to a Holland or Portugal.   Apart from 66, 90 and 96 they've been nowhere near competitive.  Many humiliating defeats and flat performances.  This is only something like the second time they've managed to win a knockout game at the euros, ever!  Plus, they've managed to finally get one over the Germans.  They finally managed to get a slice of luck against them.  So it's fairly understandable that their supporters are milking it.  They have a decent chance of getting to the final now. Whether they will win it, that's another thing.  Worse teams have though.
That's just, like your opinion man.

BennyCake

England's only other Euro knockout win was on penalties v Spain in 96.

I'm hoping the hype around them now will lead to complacency on Saturday, and Ukraine will dump them out on their arses. I doubt it though. The only hope is the Danes will end up having the tournament of their lives, and take them out in the semis.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 30, 2021, 04:53:43 PM

Swing and a miss. Shinner here, even canvassed for them in 2017. Just don't think you should begrudge Sterling, Pickford, Kane etc because of the troubles. All these lads were born in the 90s and wouldn't have the faintest connection to them.

Besides, the England team are the only one left with a former GAA player in their ranks.
Ok Colum.
You probably stand for GSTQ too.

trailer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 01, 2021, 12:51:04 AM
I'm reminded of many moons ago, back when the 2002 World Cup was on. I was sitting in a car listening to a phone in on FM104 one evening a few days or so after England beat Argentina in a group game - the caller on the line was talking about how much he hated England, hoping that they'd get hammered etc. with the best bit of him saying that if England win it he'd not be held responsible for beating up some English boys that lived in his street.

A couple of minutes later the presenter asked him if he supported a club - the caller said "Man United & Celtic".

Probably Definitely a Shinner

johnnycool

Brexit has given the England football team the confidence to be better than when they were under the subjugation of the Germans and French in the EU...

If only those players would stop taking the knee the Gammons would be having wet dreams