Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

People only think its over the top because of who it is.

I can assure you if Ireland beat Germany in a last 16 tie at the Euros this place would be mental.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Its sport, its a release after the shit 18 months we have had.

Let them enjoy it but make sure we all have our Ukraine jerseys washed & ironed for Saturday

north_antrim_hound

Who the f..k said we hated them. Some posters in here talking of xenophobia is BS just because of comments on a overhyped international football team.
https://youtu.be/29-LRuuqFT0

Ewan Mc Gregor sums it up best
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 30, 2021, 10:35:46 AM
Who the f..k said we hated them. Some posters in here talking of xenophobia is BS just because of comments on a overhyped international football team.

By here, I mean Ireland not the board.

Hate is a word I dont like myself and maybe a bit strong.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 30, 2021, 10:38:07 AM

You don't hate SF?  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 30, 2021, 10:38:07 AM

You don't hate SF?  ;)

No I strongly dislike them ;D

tintin25

When I was younger I always wanted England knocked out of these tournaments, but nowadays it genuinely doesn't bother me and I hope they go on and win it.

smelmoth

Do you not think the reaction here (the forum and Ireland) is very much based on anti-English sentiment? People are finding fault in perfectly normal behaviour. What is the explanation if it's not anti-English sentiment? There were 7 other knock out games. 7 other winners and 7 other reactions. Not a word about them

yellowcard

Quote from: smelmoth on June 30, 2021, 08:47:51 AM
Last couple of pages don't make for pretty reading. Is it xenophobia or a more general petty small mindedness that is the dominant characteristic of some of these posters?

Although the tournament is less interesting when they get knocked out, like most Irish fans I want them to lose. For historical and geographical reasons they will always be the team that you want to beat most, I think that is perfectly normal. No different to my local GAA club or county rivalry, the team that you want to lose most is your next door neighbour. What is sport without rivalry anyway. If that is small mindedness then I am 100% guilty.

BennyCake

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 30, 2021, 10:19:39 AM
I am of the opinion that you base your nationalism on a love of your country not a hatred of another.

A lot of people base it on a hatred of another here. I still think the coverage on the news was ott, but then we have Ireland v NZ friendlies in rugby making the news

Any time a rugby match makes the news headlines (or sports headlines, for that matter) is absolutely mental.

RedHand88

Quote from: tintin25 on June 30, 2021, 11:26:36 AM
When I was younger I always wanted England knocked out of these tournaments, but nowadays it genuinely doesn't bother me and I hope they go on and win it.

I think I would be the same, only wanted it when I was younger because everyone around you was wanting it too. I remember them selling Tshirts with Southgate on them in Clones, July 1996. Can't mind the tag line but I'm sure it was something humorous.

I genuinely don't mind seeing them do well, I think they're suffered enough since 66.

imtommygunn

I like the players(generally) and tbh feel for them with the flak they take. It just doesn't seem to be the same in other countries. I don't mind them doing well either tbh though winning it may make them a bit hard to listen to.

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 29, 2021, 11:43:53 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 29, 2021, 11:12:56 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 29, 2021, 10:54:06 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 29, 2021, 10:30:33 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

This is actually headlines on main bbc news

It is big news for them.
It's massive for them so fair play. We'd be doing the same if we won even game a a tournament. It's the clowns who reckoned they had won the tournament already we should be laughing at.

It's last 16, not headlines surely
It's Germany though, the old enemy for them. Just hope that result doesnt boost them on to win the whole thing ffs. Ukraine will be totally drained from last night and have probably played their final already.

mouview

I'd like to see the Ukraine doing well too, after those perfidious Russians have been beastly to them.

smelmoth

Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2021, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 30, 2021, 08:47:51 AM
Last couple of pages don't make for pretty reading. Is it xenophobia or a more general petty small mindedness that is the dominant characteristic of some of these posters?

Although the tournament is less interesting when they get knocked out, like most Irish fans I want them to lose. For historical and geographical reasons they will always be the team that you want to beat most, I think that is perfectly normal. No different to my local GAA club or county rivalry, the team that you want to lose most is your next door neighbour. What is sport without rivalry anyway. If that is small mindedness then I am 100% guilty.

I have said previously I have no issue with you or anyone else wanting England or anyone else to win/lose. That is not what I am claiming is small minded. It is however small minded to decry fans of England for celebrating, singing the 3 lions song etc or the coverage the media gave to England winning their first ever meaningful euro championship knock out match without recourse to penalties. A victory like that, at home, against the side associated with so many previous failures (and the Southgate connection to all that). And there is the ridiculous pretence that other countries would have reacted differently. That very definitely is small minded.

GiveItToTheShooters

Couple of GAAboard posters now wanting England to go on and win it or to "see them do well".
Jesus Christ the night, I've seen it all now.
Probably all stoopers as well