Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0214/1115414-eoin-larkin-galway-promise-so-much-deliver-so-little/

Eoin Larkin has questioned the attitude of the Galway players, claiming they are "not willing to put their bodies on the line for each other".

The eight-time All-Ireland winner says the Tribesmen's lack of team ethic is one of the main reasons for their failure to consistently challenge for the Liam MacCarthy Cup.

Speaking to RTÉ 2fm's Game On, Larkin said: "As a group they're not really together. They come out with all the right things in the media, that they are together now more than ever, but when it really comes down to it they're not really willing to put their bodies on the line for each other.

With Galway it's difficult to shake off the memory of their post-2017 failure to achieve a satisfactory synthesis between force and finesse. This won't be quite as much an issue over the coming weeks. Simply let the big lads loose to batter down every door in sight.

It's all about the individual, not the collective. To be a consistent, top-performing team you have to be willing to put everybody else before yourself.

"There were problems in the Galway club scene over the last 10 or 15 years, bad belts being pulled and things like that. They weren't really getting on.

"I don't think that has really gone out of Galway hurling. They don't seem to be pulling together and playing the way they can as a team.

"There is no doubting they have fantastic individuals but that doesn't win you All-Irelands. I know they have won one All-Ireland but really, with the panel of players they have, they should have been more successful."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

That's a pretty good summary, but who da f**k are Waterford? They pull these results out of the blue every year!!

I'm expecting Cork to win but after today I think Tony Kelly will win!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Kelly nearly won it for Clare with a last second shot that the keeper saved. Cork were lucky but they had the greater threat in front of goal and thats what won it for them. I am disappointed for Clare as they missed a lot of chances and should have won it.

Waterford were deserving winners over Galway and are in the championship longer than Clare who beat them earlier.

Gallybander

Clare are out and Waterford still going strong. You wouldn't have expected that a few weeks ago when Clare were supposed to be miles ahead of us.

johnnycool

Quote from: Gallybander on July 27, 2021, 12:30:06 PM
Clare are out and Waterford still going strong. You wouldn't have expected that a few weeks ago when Clare were supposed to be miles ahead of us.

That's the way the cookie crumbles Gallybally.

Cork get creamed by Limerick and have rallied. They'll fancy taking the Dubs on Sunday and potentially KK in the semi's, but Cork still believe they will win even when they're getting beat out the gate.

The Blahs will have it all to do against Tipp. The big question is will Sheedy throw on the young guns or stick with the older lads in one last hurrah, but I've been saying that for a few years now..

I presume if you lads win it'll be you vrs Limerick and Cork v Dublin or does it not matter if you've played before in the championship?

Cyril Farrell fan

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2021, 04:09:02 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0214/1115414-eoin-larkin-galway-promise-so-much-deliver-so-little/

Eoin Larkin has questioned the attitude of the Galway players, claiming they are "not willing to put their bodies on the line for each other".

The eight-time All-Ireland winner says the Tribesmen's lack of team ethic is one of the main reasons for their failure to consistently challenge for the Liam MacCarthy Cup.

Speaking to RTÉ 2fm's Game On, Larkin said: "As a group they're not really together. They come out with all the right things in the media, that they are together now more than ever, but when it really comes down to it they're not really willing to put their bodies on the line for each other.

With Galway it's difficult to shake off the memory of their post-2017 failure to achieve a satisfactory synthesis between force and finesse. This won't be quite as much an issue over the coming weeks. Simply let the big lads loose to batter down every door in sight.

It's all about the individual, not the collective. To be a consistent, top-performing team you have to be willing to put everybody else before yourself.

"There were problems in the Galway club scene over the last 10 or 15 years, bad belts being pulled and things like that. They weren't really getting on.

"I don't think that has really gone out of Galway hurling. They don't seem to be pulling together and playing the way they can as a team.

"There is no doubting they have fantastic individuals but that doesn't win you All-Irelands. I know they have won one All-Ireland but really, with the panel of players they have, they should have been more successful."
That's been the problem in Galway for over 40 years now. The players lose the hunger as soon as they win something or even get to an All Ireland final.

johnnycool

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on July 28, 2021, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2021, 04:09:02 PM

Speaking to RTÉ 2fm's Game On, Larkin said: "As a group they're not really together. They come out with all the right things in the media, that they are together now more than ever, but when it really comes down to it they're not really willing to put their bodies on the line for each other.

That's been the problem in Galway for over 40 years now. The players lose the hunger as soon as they win something or even get to an All Ireland final.

One AI medal in Galway and most counties makes you a hero.

One AI medal in Kilkenny means you probably were a weak enough panelist.

Premier Emperor

It's a short turnaround for Cork and Tipperary who have to play in the All Ireland semis with only a week to prepare. Though Cork should coast home against Dublin.

Milltown Row2

What a game, the last quarter was overdrive by Tipp and after that save on 69 minutes Waterford scores 1-4 or something in 3 minutes!

I wonder will the football,  match that next?  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Helix.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2021, 03:12:27 PM
What a game, the last quarter was overdrive by Tipp and after that save on 69 minutes Waterford scores 1-4 or something in 3 minutes!

Be tough to match but should be interesting nonetheless.

Liam Cahill to get the call to come home to Tipp before the year is out.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Helix. on July 31, 2021, 03:17:54 PM

For the life of me I can't understand how Waterford get those results, so it has to be down to Cahill's enthusiasm and drive, his moving of Shane Bennett from attack to defence has proved to be a master stroke

Blowitupref

Offaly Christy Ring Cup winners. The last time Offaly won hurling silverware in Croke Park was the 1998 All-Ireland and that's the level they will be aiming to get back to, starting with the Joe McDonagh Cup in 2022.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Huge progress for Offaly considering how far they've dropped to, it'll make the Joe McDonagh cup interesting, with lots of teams fancying their chances.

seafoid

Tipp.have reached the end of the road with that great team.
Rebuilding is going to.take a while.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2021, 03:55:41 PM

Tipp.have reached the end of the road with that great team.
Rebuilding is going to.take a while.

If Tipp get Cahill back next year and he gets his 2 u20/21 all ireland squads buying into a senior setup

The rebuild could be in place by 2023

Tipp need a keeper/corner back/full back and 2 forwards

It's not an insurmountable problem