Congress

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StPatsAbu

What was so wrong with the normal back door that they had to change it? 

Hound

Quote from: sid waddell on October 23, 2021, 12:03:18 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 23, 2021, 10:57:18 AM
A minor enough tweak to Proposal B would solve a lot of problems, it would mean;
- the top teams all get a go at proper knockout
- the weaker teams would still have the chance of making the AI  knockout stages
- there would be a clear advantage to being in D1 vs D2, D2vD3 and D3vD4
- the Tailtean Cup would have a reward

Instead of 6-3-1-1, change it to 4-2-1-1 that makes the "Playoff Round'
Held at a neutral venue with the winners progressing to the Quarter Finals with home advantage when they get there. Top team in D1 plays D4 winners, D1 second plays D3 winners so also an advantage to finishing as high as possible in D1 to reduce risk of dead rubbers.
Losers of Playoff Round go to Qualifier R2.

Teams 5-8 in D1 and teams 3-6 in D2 play in AI Qualifier R1. Seeded according to league placement but neutral venues. Winners go to Qualifier R2 , losers are finally out.

4 Losers from Playoff Round and 4 winners from Qualifier R1 play in Qualifier R2, with the winners progressing into quarter-final. Open draw but cannot have a repeat pairing from Playoff Round.

Bottom 2 in D1 relegated to D2 and replaced by top 2 in D2.
Bottom 2 in D2 provisional relegated (see next point) and don't get to play in Sam Maguire.  But they do play Tailteann along with D3 and D4 teams.
Winner of D3 promoted to D2 for next season, along with winners of Talteann

My explanation has probably made it seem more convoluted than it is, but it's quite similar to proposal B.

That makes the league stage essentially pointless.
You can't read. Fair enough.

Hound

50.6% in favour of Proposal B.

Motion defeated. 

Only 10% in favour of Proposal A (as expected).

Cunny Funt

50.6% in favour of Proposal B. The flaws has defeated it.

Rossfan

The wise old elders have decided.
Sin é.
Or are we back to everyone proposing new systems for Congress 2022?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Watcher

yellowcard

The proposal gained a simple majority but not the 60% needed. Si it was some sort of moral victory that change is needed. Expect that it will come back again next year in a slightly modified format after another year of provincial turkey shoots. I wonder do they release the breakdown of the votes. I think players, coaches and GAA members deserve to know how their delegates used their vote.

Tubberman

Quote from: yellowcard on October 23, 2021, 01:11:28 PM
The proposal gained a simple majority but not the 60% needed. Si it was some sort of moral victory that change is needed. Expect that it will come back again next year in a slightly modified format after another year of provincial turkey shoots. I wonder do they release the breakdown of the votes. I think players, coaches and GAA members deserve to know how their delegates used their vote.

Secret ballot I think
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

delgany

Quote from: Tubberman on October 23, 2021, 01:15:25 PM

Secret ballot I think
8 ulster counties against , Down for the motion!

Tubberman

Quote from: delgany on October 23, 2021, 01:30:26 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 23, 2021, 01:15:25 PM

Secret ballot I think
8 ulster counties against , Down for the motion!

Yes, but you don't know the delegates actually voted
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bennydorano

Not overly sad, the dilution of the Ulster Championship would have been a tragedy imo, selfish in the overall big picture i know - but still.

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on October 23, 2021, 12:54:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 23, 2021, 12:03:18 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 23, 2021, 10:57:18 AM
A minor enough tweak to Proposal B would solve a lot of problems, it would mean;
- the top teams all get a go at proper knockout
- the weaker teams would still have the chance of making the AI  knockout stages
- there would be a clear advantage to being in D1 vs D2, D2vD3 and D3vD4
- the Tailtean Cup would have a reward

Instead of 6-3-1-1, change it to 4-2-1-1 that makes the "Playoff Round'
Held at a neutral venue with the winners progressing to the Quarter Finals with home advantage when they get there. Top team in D1 plays D4 winners, D1 second plays D3 winners so also an advantage to finishing as high as possible in D1 to reduce risk of dead rubbers.
Losers of Playoff Round go to Qualifier R2.

Teams 5-8 in D1 and teams 3-6 in D2 play in AI Qualifier R1. Seeded according to league placement but neutral venues. Winners go to Qualifier R2 , losers are finally out.

4 Losers from Playoff Round and 4 winners from Qualifier R1 play in Qualifier R2, with the winners progressing into quarter-final. Open draw but cannot have a repeat pairing from Playoff Round.

Bottom 2 in D1 relegated to D2 and replaced by top 2 in D2.
Bottom 2 in D2 provisional relegated (see next point) and don't get to play in Sam Maguire.  But they do play Tailteann along with D3 and D4 teams.
Winner of D3 promoted to D2 for next season, along with winners of Talteann

My explanation has probably made it seem more convoluted than it is, but it's quite similar to proposal B.

That makes the league stage essentially pointless.
You can't read. Fair enough.
Very touchy, aren't you?

laoislad

Damien Duff was right. Dinosaurs the lot of them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

sid waddell

A good day for Gaelic Football, all told. As Keith Duggan said in today's Irish Times, the proposal was bonkers. B for bonkers.

Now to abolish the Tailteann Cup and the split season.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on October 23, 2021, 01:52:23 PM
Not overly sad, the dilution of the Ulster Championship would have been a tragedy imo, selfish in the overall big picture i know - but still.

That's sort of how I feel but at the same time there are still huge issues remaining with the structure overall which aren't going to go away.