The Official Euro 2016 Thread

Started by laoislad, May 22, 2016, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Almost time now.
My money is on France to win it.Success for Ireland would be qualifying from the group stages.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ONeill

Belgium. The World Cup was a tournament too early. Hazard player of the tournament.

If they get out of that group that is.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Would just one win get Ireland out of the Group stages? I'm pretty sure a win and a draw would be ok. Really we will be hoping the top two seeds in the other groups will win their games against the two lower seeds.

3rd place in our group will play the winners of Group D or A. Possibly Spain or France.

Esmarelda

Quote from: ONeill on May 22, 2016, 12:46:06 PM
Belgium. The World Cup was a tournament too early. Hazard player of the tournament.

If they get out of that group that is.
I'm torn on Belgium. Courtois seems to have had a lot of injuries and losses of form. They've probably got lucky with Kompany being injured meaning the two Spurs lads can resume their partnership at centre back. Dembele had a good season but then Benteke and Lukaku are both out of form currently.

My tip was France before it was confirmed Benzema was out but I'd still go with them as I think Martial could have a big impact along with Griezmann.

BennyCake

Belgium, me hole.

They're totally over rated. They'll be nowhere near winning it. There's only 2 contenders for me: Germany and Spain. I think Germany will win it though

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on May 22, 2016, 01:23:08 PM
Belgium, me hole.

They're totally over rated. They'll be nowhere near winning it. There's only 2 contenders for me: Germany and Spain. I think Germany will win it though

Have to agree with you there. They have a lot of Fancy Dan players. You'll always have to fancy The Germans always get in tournaments. Spain have got over their Tournament hoodoo of the past. Would like to see England go a bit of the way - But not all the way!

SHEEDY

dont think belgium will win it either, spain for me.

ronaldo for top scorer, portugal are in a weaker group and he could score a few goals in the group stage.
nil satis nisi optimum

thewobbler

In Kane, Sturridge, Vardy and Rooney, England might just have the best forward line at the tournament. But it's difficult to see them winning tight games if relying on Smalling and Cahill at the back.

Anyway 40/1 England and Kane is worth a couple of quid.

beer baron

Was all over the Germans for the World Cup and i'm starting to warm to them again after thinking for the past 6 months i'd be against them, Reus with a full season under his belt will be a big addition and Howedes returning will really strengthen the defence,he had a really good World cup.

The French squad looks really good but i've my doubts about how well they're going to perform at the business end, i can see them looking like world beaters early on but failing when it gets serious either through falling out with each other or bottling it.

The Croatians and Welsh could be 2 sides to surprise a few.

Croatia have 2 of the best midfielders in the world in Rakitic and Modric and have Kovacic who's getting plenty of gametime at Real Madrid and is a young player that could could make a big impact. Perisic and Mandzukic are good going forward and there's a lad with Fiorentina that's meant to be pretty good too. Defence doesn't look great on paper but it doesn't always work out like that and the coach has left Lovren out for his poor attitude despite him having a pretty good season since Klopp arrived and that could work one of 2 ways for the Croasts,either uniting or dividing the team,hopefully the former.

Wales are getting very little credit for what they've achieved, their recent form looks poor on paper but they were friendlies and games where they had little to nothing to play for, prior to that they were very good. Defending really well and being well organised and breaking with great effect. They also have what a lot of sides don't have a truly world class player in Bale, he could be the star of this tournament for me, they also have a very good player in Ramsey and an organised and determined side with that bit of quality can do well in this type of tournament and i fully expect them to qualify from their group and it could be at the expense of England who are going to do nothing again i feel.

As for ourselves i'm quietly optimistic, The Belgians will probably take the first spot but ourselves and Sweden are of a similar level as long as we can keep Zlatan reasonably quiet and the Italians don't seem to have much quality up front and have lost their 2 best midfielders in Marchisio and Veratti. Getting out of the group would be success and anything else would be fantastic to top it off.

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on May 22, 2016, 01:50:51 PM
In Kane, Sturridge, Vardy and Rooney, England might just have the best forward line at the tournament. But it's difficult to see them winning tight games if relying on Smalling and Cahill at the back.

Anyway 40/1 England and Kane is worth a couple of quid.

Let's hope that clown Smalling is in the England team. England haven't a hope though, as usual.

screenexile

The Wife's due 15th June so I've 2 weeks off for it... Impeccable timing!!

laoislad

Joey Barton added to the TV3 panel line up  :-\
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I like Joey. He's a pseudo intellectual, but he'd say anything. I think he'll be delighted to have a go at Irish TV instead of the bland British stuff.

NAG1

Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2016, 02:14:21 PM

What is it with Southern TV and Rangers men?  ;)

ashman

Quote from: NAG1 on May 23, 2016, 02:18:23 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2016, 02:14:21 PM

What is it with Southern TV and Rangers men?  ;)

Yes QPR !!!