The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

I'm not a whiskey drinker but last year I bought a bottle of Matt D'Arcy's 17 Year Old Single Cask Irish Whiskey. This is the first release in over a century to come from Matt D'Arcy & Co. Ltd a former Newry distiller and is a limited edition of 384 bottles. I only bought it because I know the guy who is reopening the distillery. Probably a case of a fool and his money going separate ways but c'est la vie.
Careful now

gallsman

Where's the stock from? They really need to clamp down on some of the advertising and labeling laws about whiskey. Distilleries and bonders can source stock from any distillery they want and package it up whatever way they like.

I think the boom in Irish whiskey at the minute is absolutely fantastic but almost everything in a bottle labelled "Irish whiskey" right now is still coming out of Midleton, Bushmills or Cooley. You'd be hard pressed to know that from some of the labels, especially some of the new distilleries as they sell stock from somewhere else whilst waiting for their own to age.

David McKeown

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 05, 2021, 12:59:59 PM
I'm not a whiskey drinker but last year I bought a bottle of Matt D'Arcy's 17 Year Old Single Cask Irish Whiskey. This is the first release in over a century to come from Matt D'Arcy & Co. Ltd a former Newry distiller and is a limited edition of 384 bottles. I only bought it because I know the guy who is reopening the distillery. Probably a case of a fool and his money going separate ways but c'est la vie.

I love their 10 year old and the 3 year old is excellent for the price point. I don't dislike the 17 year old but it's not my favourite at that price point. (I think my username likely gives away I also know the owner). I understand the stock is from Teelings but I'm not certain on that.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dougal Maguire

Fair play to you if you've opened a bottle of 17 year old. It and the' 10 year old that I also bought in that fit of madness will remain unopened until my children's children decide to part company with it
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Need some help. A mate and his missus in the south have just had a baby and I was wanting to send them a bottle. Anyone recommend a website in the south that I could order direct from rather than fannying about with packaging and posting from the north.

lurganblue

Still quite new to all of this but getting there.  I was lucky enough to be treated to a bottle of Redbreast 12 for Christmas.  It really is something special isn't it. The best i have yet tasted.

thedice

any nice new recommendations for an irish whiskey for a very special occassion to wet the babies head?

I was hoping to get something nice to toast the occassion when it comes?

also in terms of "starting a collection" is there anything you should look for in the off licence to unearth a nice bottle or one with potential at a decent price?

would all the investment ones be in high end collections?

Milltown Row2

Had a bottle of the Glens of Antrim whiskey Lir Green crest, from what I remember the lads at the card school enjoyed it and they'd be good whiskey men
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

I don't drink whisky, but that is the sort of recommendation I'd be looking for MR2.

Tyrdub

Herself got me a bottle of 5 year old Dead Rabbit Whiskey at Christmas, its so nice I am taking my time emptying the bottle. Really enjoying 1 or 2 at a weekend instead of just going for it.
It's so good I wouldn't even share it with her dad (he wouldn't appreciate it anyway)

oakleaflad

https://www.titanicdistillers.com/products/titanic-distillers-premium-irish-whiskey?variant=41489833361558

I was gifted this and it was very nice, to the point where I'm buying myself another bottle. They do a couple gift sets at reasonable prices that'd be good ideas for a gift. 

Tony Baloney

I tried a Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek recently. Still don't like it.

thedice

Jack daniels single barrel select was one I got and enjoyed in amazon black Friday sale.

I liked The Irishman small batch and jameson black barrell.

Got Glenmorangie 10yr the original and wasn't that pushed on it so maybe have more the palate for irish whiskey

gallsman

Have bought McCallan 12 a few times in the last year or so. Magnificent scotch.

JoG2

Not a whiskey drinker but I did have 2 Silkie's down in Ardara (when in Rome) last year. Must say the lighter coloured one was really nice. Only discovered the next day its 46 percent, would put hairs on the palms of your hands. Slept like a baby