Irish History

Started by Hereiam, March 03, 2010, 10:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: The Subbie on March 03, 2010, 07:56:54 PM
Quote from: delboy on March 03, 2010, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on March 03, 2010, 05:02:55 PM
Bonded servants/ indentured labourers were not slaves in the known "roots" version of the word but for those harassed battered, forced  to work unremunerated under a hot sun and dying before their indenture was completed, the difference must have seemed academic.

For an african slave working under a hot sun knowing no matter how long they toil they'll never be free and that death will be the only freedom and that their offspring and subsequent generations will also share the same fate i doubt very much the differnence between them and indentured labourers would seem academic.

a bit of hair splitting going on here, neither indentured labourer nor slave had a happy time of it back in the day, now back to history, i would have a good knowledge of Irish history from the 1500's to present times,always did well at school at the subject and if i was'nt doing my current job would have loved to have studied history further.
One small slice of Irish History that i would really like to get into more is the 100 years or so pre flight of the earls, to try to gauge what Ireland was like when there was a functioning aristocracy throughout the land, what type of characters there were about the place, were they good to the hoi polli or were they right b**tards.
I heard from someone that when Aodh Rua came down to Galway in the 1590s he was fairly brutal and turned the locals against himself
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2010, 11:41:21 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on March 03, 2010, 11:22:44 AM
Quote from: Orior on March 03, 2010, 11:13:35 AM
The state schools in the occupied six counties dont get taught any Irish History. Its all about english kings and queens

Our historys are linked.
Yes they are linked but we were never taught about the O'Neills etc and how they battled the English outside Benburb in Co. Tyrone. There were 100's/1000's killed in this battle and I never knew it even took place. That there was a great fort built there that was an important statement made by the English to the O'Neills. There were other great battles that took place over the Island of Ireland and we were never told about any of them. Instead our minds were filled with crap about England fighting and winning all these great battle's. My young son will know the correct history of this Island and not some bullshit taught to him by a foreign body.
We were taught about Benburb and the Ford of the Digestives in Galway.
The castle museum in Limerick is very interesting about the siege and that war 

Oraisteach

Word has it that the Christian Brothers inculcated a Republican view of Irish history, but my experience with the CBS is that we received feck all Irish history and equally little Irish literature, since of course we were following a state-determined curriculum that was essentially English.  We did study Grattan's Parliament, I recall, and beyond that zilch.  As for literature, we got the odd Yeats poem here and there, but not much else.  We did read Shaw's Arms and the Man, but I had little sense while reading it that he was Irish. My Irish history I gleaned from reading and from listening to my Dad and neighbours recount the history of Ireland.  I do recall standing at O'Neill's castle in Benburb and listening to my Dad present a detailed account of the Battle of the Yellow Ford. 

A former English teacher myself, I'm certain that the huge gap in my own education is the reason that I taught an elective course, here in the US, on the Literature of the Troubles, designed as much to satisfy myself as to educate my students.

ardchieftain

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2010, 11:41:21 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on March 03, 2010, 11:22:44 AM
Quote from: Orior on March 03, 2010, 11:13:35 AM
The state schools in the occupied six counties dont get taught any Irish History. Its all about english kings and queens

Our historys are linked.
Yes they are linked but we were never taught about the O'Neills etc and how they battled the English outside Benburb in Co. Tyrone. There were 100's/1000's killed in this battle and I never knew it even took place. That there was a great fort built there that was an important statement made by the English to the O'Neills. There were other great battles that took place over the Island of Ireland and we were never told about any of them. Instead our minds were filled with crap about England fighting and winning all these great battle's. My young son will know the correct history of this Island and not some bullshit taught to him by a foreign body.

I went to school in Armagh and we done all the stuff from that period with emphasis on the Battle of Benburb. Outside of football this was one of my happier memories of school.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

The academia in Ireland north and south is controlled by the British. For example. I used to think there was a famine in Ireland because people were reliant on the potato crop and when it failed they starved to death. But the truth is Britain removed Irelands food at gun point with over half of their army and the Irish race was close to extinction.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on February 09, 2016, 09:26:44 PM
The academia in Ireland north and south is controlled by the British. For example. I used to think there was a famine in Ireland because people were reliant on the potato crop and when it failed they starved to death. But the truth is Britain removed Irelands food at gun point with over half of their army and the Irish race was close to extinction.

God brought the blight, England brought the famine.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

One of the disguised efforts at Genocide. It's hard to believe that Ireland, with such a climate that it has. Could suffer such a fate unless there is interference. The ensuing workhouses were a level of concentration camps.

foxcommander

Shhhh - don't be upsetting the west brits on here (like Rossfan).

He thinks Ireland looks like this

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 09, 2016, 10:08:44 PM

One of the disguised efforts at Genocide. It's hard to believe that Ireland, with such a climate that it has. Could suffer such a fate unless there is interference. The ensuing workhouses were a level of concentration camps.
It was an extreme version of capitalism

Íseal agus crua isteach a

If any teacher in 26 county Ireland who new the truth and wanted to tell his students the truth, they faced being fired. I have a couple examples of that.

Britains ruling elite through history have always violently attacked the Irish people. It was especially ramped up during Elizabeth the first, Cromwell and Victoria.

In 1781 The United States finally frees itself of British rule. Lord Cornwallis's sword is surrendered to George Washington. One third of Washington's army were Irish. This defeat freed up a lot of British regiments. Many were later moved to Ireland. Almost 67 of 130 British regiments were in Ireland to over see the food removal. During this period 300,000 Irish homes were destroyed  with an average of seven people per house hold. Many of these homes had three generations in the same house. I have actually seen British military records of this time period it is 100% proof of their intentions.

Last week a friend took me to Newberry Library in down town Chicago to show me some fascinating books a bout Ireland. The Library has in it, a special storage unit with Ordnance (military terminology) maps of Ireland that were made by the British militia. They started in Derry 1830 and worked their way down to the bottom of the Island and were finished in 1843. Final engravings were completed by 1845. Ireland had an abundance of grain mills, live stock pounds ect

If anyone goes to Chicago they should check the Library out. The experience was like a script from a movie. First they take your ids then take you to a walled in room surrounded with glass where someone watched you the whole time. In came a worker from the Library with the books in a special trolly. I was glad they let me take pictures with my i phone.

Orior

I was up in Derry hi the other day and joined in on a tour of the Derry Walls. Fascinating no-holes-barred talk by the guide. There was a lot about Derry that I didn't know and I would highly recommend doing that tour which takes about an hour.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Did they have that ridiculous bonfire in Derry this year, or have they wised up?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2021, 04:21:07 PM
Did they have that ridiculous bonfire in Derry this year, or have they wised up?

There was one in the Fountain estate in July, and it is being rebuilt for the Apprentice Boys march. It is about 20 paces from terraced houses and right in front of a firestation. I didn't see any nationalist bonfires.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

delgany

Quote from: Orior on August 11, 2021, 04:53:18 PM

There was one in the Fountain estate in July, and it is being rebuilt for the Apprentice Boys march. It is about 20 paces from terraced houses and right in front of a firestation. I didn't see any nationalist bonfires.

Omagh CBS A level history - full on Irish History  -1900- 1970!

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on August 11, 2021, 04:53:18 PM

We know themmuns are at that sort of crack, it was people purporting to be Irish emulating them that was the problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B