Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

This should be an easy one.

I had the laptop rigged up for watching Sky Go on the TV via a HDMI cable - usually I dragged the screen I wanted to use off the right hand side of the screen and it appeared on the TV. When I hooked it up today I had to go through the whole setup again for some reason and when I was finished and disconnected the cable and my laptop display went black and it was a session getting it back again. This didn't happen before so have to assume I didn't set it up correctly.

Someone want to tell me what the correct setup is in Control Panel > Display >Screen Resolution in terms of Display, Multiple Displays etc!

Much appreciated...

Hardy

Does anybody here know anything about working with MySql in PHP? I've installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.5. As far as I can see, I've configured PHP  correctly in the PHP.ini but it won't communicate with MySQL - mysql commands are not recognised. When I run phpinfo, there's no entry for MySQL in the output file.

Any ideas?

aidanmcg33

use xampp
It will install it all for you in one easy package.

Hardy

Thanks aidan. That worked. I chose to install everything individually to learn as much as possible as I went. What I learnt was that I couldn't sort out the problem that arose.

Thanks again.

DownFanatic

Error message: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded", when logging on to Windows 7 or Windows Vista

How is this sorted?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 08, 2012, 02:05:30 PM
Error message: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded", when logging on to Windows 7 or Windows Vista

How is this sorted?
Have you tried rebooting?

You'll find what you need to help you here.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Main Street

That's a fierce complicated fix process for something so mundane.

ONeill

After cheap eternal hard drives. Any recommendations? Nothing that big (TBs etc)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on February 11, 2012, 12:23:58 AM
After cheap eternal hard drives. Any recommendations? Nothing that big (TBs etc)

One that will last forever?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Tony Baloney

Take your pick of the 500gb ones on the maplin or amazon websites for about 50 quid. I need one myself.

ONeill

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on February 11, 2012, 01:01:41 AM
£50 sounds a lot. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Core-1TB-External-HD-USB-2-0-/180813279716?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item2a194fb1e4

Yes, it does but the one  on EBay you refer to one is second-hand. Furthermore, it isn't for sale at £50; it is being auctioned so £50 was probably the highest bid on offer when you came across it.
I just checked it out and the leading bid at present is £53. I think the winning bid will be around £75 or so.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

Hard drives have risen in price since floods in Thailand.
Buying 2nd hand is risky.
I would not do it without a full health report, which includes hours of use.
New HD's are covered by a decent guarantee, sometimes 3 years, sometimes 5 years.
Buying new from a local enough place, that is easy to return a defective drive (should that familiar enough situation arise)  makes good sense.

USB powered external - I have had 4 failures in a row.
External powered 3.5" is better and faster than USB powered external, if portability is not an issue and you can always use a flash drive for portable transfers.

mylestheslasher

Harddrives fail more frequently than you'd think. Save the few extra pence and buy it new. Make sure you back it up too. I had 2 brand new hardrives fail on me in the last 6 months and they were both top end models.