CORK V CLARE

Started by didlyi, July 21, 2008, 05:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

I'm not saying that Sully hasn't been slipping because unfortunately he has, but it wasn't just him yesterday. The half back line for the first half was being pulled out, almost to midfield. That left the back line very exposed. It's true that he's slipping but a lot of what happened yesterday was a bit circumstantial. That said though I wouldn't be too confident about starting him, I just think he's getting a bit too much criticism then he deserves.

I don't want to split up the Tom and Jerry pairing, we'll need them against KK. It's one of our best lines in our team. If we really want to get our running game going we'll need them in there doing at their best. Midfield is a place where we can dominate against KK if we get it right. Putting Gaa FB works well but I don't want to pull back Kenny into the HB line because it'll break up the pairing and I don't know how effective Naughton will be for 70 mins in the centre. He's more effective roaming around the place up left corner forward he can make an impact all right there but he wont be as affective playing the full 70.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

timmykelleher

For me the next day Cork should start with :

Cusack
O'Neill Gardiner Murphy
Kenny Curran O' Hailpin
  Naughton Gerry O'Connor
Cronin Timmy McCarthy Ben O'Connor
Horgan Ronan Deane

Gardiner is not a natural full back but at least he is hurling confidently at the moment, something which Sully seems to be lacking.
He has a good hand on him and a bit of cut.

To beat Kilkenny we'll need trunning game going at it's best.

Naughton's running with the ball is second to none. Not only is he as fast as lightning he has good vision and always seem to take the right option.
He was fairly quiet to my mind when stuck in corner forward whereas out midfield he was getting on to breaks.

Horgan looks a natural at this stage with a sure touch.

I can't see Niall being picked for the Kilkenny match. He gave Gerry Quinn the freedom of the park the last day.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

orangeman

Was Deane injured last Sunday - he looked to be struggling - Cork will really put it up to KK - Sully being cleaned out - Deane not at the races - Niall not going well - and they still win !

Lecale2

I can't see Deane starting. McCarthy has shown he can be ruthless when in comes to selection. Joe will start on the bench.

INDIANA

i can't see that cork team beating kilkenny. especially with kilkenny at full strength the next day.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2008, 09:54:15 PM
i can't see that cork team beating kilkenny. especially with kilkenny at full strength the next day.

Wexford weren't expected to beat Down today - in fact, they destroyed them - Wicklow weren't expected to beat Kildare earlier in the year.

I'd have to agree with you and say that Kilkenny should win alright but it's no certainty.