The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

Quote from: armaghniac on April 22, 2024, 12:41:32 PMI could have sworn that a blurb came up during the Sunday game which said that there would be Tailteann cup action later. How much later? 4 weeks?

i seen it too

Wildweasel74

I rather they pick a game. Not one live on rte or bbc earlier. And provide good extended highlights of a game no one seen that day. Say Sligo v Galway, instead of the few minutes of ever game, discussion and a half split show  with the hurling. There too many games in a short period, and to give all, justice, they be better splitting both sports and possible bring in a long mid week show too.

AustinPowers

What happened  to the Saturday Game highlights show?

lenny

We need a separate hurling and football show, both 2 hours long especially at this stage of the season where there are so many games each weekend. The hurling show could be on Sunday night with football on Monday or vice versa. That would mean we could see proper highlights and allow for analysis which isn't rushed. That said we need better pundits than cavanagh and staunton who are both dismal.

snoopdog

The Sunday games been dreadful for years. I record it and fast forward through what I've already seen and the teeeible pundits.  They do need 2 shows. Prob 1 on rte1 and the other on rte2.

marty34

Big issue now is that there's so many games, and high level ones at that, on every week-end.

Used to be 2 games on a Sunday to focus on.  Now it usually 4 or 5 on a Saturday and the same on a Sunday.

The imbalance of a split season I suppose.

NAG1

Quote from: marty34 on April 23, 2024, 07:43:33 AMBig issue now is that there's so many games, and high level ones at that, on every week-end.

Used to be 2 games on a Sunday to focus on.  Now it usually 4 or 5 on a Saturday and the same on a Sunday.

Majority of people will have watched the main live games and heard the analysis during those programmes.

Is there a need then for most of the Sunday Game programme to be taken up by those 'live' games.

There is a definitive need for a less formal show which can capture the rest of the games in more detail. What would be wrong with a mid week show, with a chance to explore the big stories of the week, look back and look ahead to games coming up the following weekend?

Cavan19

Quote from: NAG1 on April 23, 2024, 09:38:43 AM
Quote from: marty34 on April 23, 2024, 07:43:33 AMBig issue now is that there's so many games, and high level ones at that, on every week-end.

Majority of people will have watched the main live games and heard the analysis during those programmes.

Is there a need then for most of the Sunday Game programme to be taken up by those 'live' games.

There is a definitive need for a less formal show which can capture the rest of the games in more detail. What would be wrong with a mid week show, with a chance to explore the big stories of the week, look back and look ahead to games coming up the following weekend?

Same conversation about the coverage every year i don't think things are going to change.

Was there a few Saturday night highlight shows last year?

snoopdog

When it's Tailteann Cup time. They will give it very little coverage. Lump a few games I to a 3 min clip and tgn not bother to do any analysis of those games. It's a show for the top counties the rest can just F off.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cavan19 on April 23, 2024, 09:47:03 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 23, 2024, 09:38:43 AM

Same conversation about the coverage every year i don't think things are going to change.

Was there a few Saturday night highlight shows last year?

There were at least a few saturday shows.

Yeah nothing changes. There are analysts who just don't cut it and they just keep them at it. They don't care as long as they think their face fits.

Captain Scarlet

In fairness it's nothing new and not down to the split season. There were times when the likes of Wicklow would get 90 seconds of a report with errors.

There needs to be an online show where the panel chat on subjects/ issues. Throw it up on YouTube and leave the Sunday Game to the actual games.

The likes of Dessie seems to be gone, but his female version Cora needs the boot too! Their GAA Podcast is good with Jacqui and they have good contributors too. That could be jazzed up a bit to make it a full production even.

But like Paul Flynn, Gooch and Cavanagh are just not good enough. As I said GAAGo when it gives the full treatment to the game is better now.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: lenny on April 23, 2024, 07:10:43 AMWe need a separate hurling and football show, both 2 hours long especially at this stage of the season where there are so many games each weekend. The hurling show could be on Sunday night with football on Monday or vice versa. That would mean we could see proper highlights and allow for analysis which isn't rushed. That said we need better pundits than cavanagh and staunton who are both dismal.
The problem is that everything is squeezed into less space. There is nothing and there is too much

Just this weekend we had Cork v Kerry, derry vs Donegal, Tyrone v Cavan,  Cork vs Waterford, Clare vs Limerick , Dublin v Wexford as bangers plus a few others

With a longer season these could be spread out

imtommygunn

The problem is not too many games on the same day though. Why do you need to spread out completely different counties playing?

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2024, 10:31:07 AMThe problem is not too many games on the same day though. Why do you need to spread out completely different counties playing?
As a neutral I wouldn't have minded watching both Mayo vs Rossies and Cavan vs Tyrone. But not the end of the world that there was a clash. 

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2024, 10:31:07 AMThe problem is not too many games on the same day though. Why do you need to spread out completely different counties playing?

They don't necessarily need to spread out the games, but if there are many games they need more magazine coverage e.g. maybe have a programme on the football on Tuesday and hurling on the Wednesday. They have the footage, why not use some of it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B