Footie v Hurling

Started by In the Onion Bag, June 16, 2007, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

Lads,
Serious & heated debate in Parador Hotel tonight over what game should be shown 2moro.  The choice is between the Hurling (Cork & Waterford) or Footie (Meath & Dublin). Both being shown one RTE at the same time, only one RTE signal available. 
Some strong feelings vented.  Thankfully no blows struck but when I left the matter was unresolved. 

Jeysus, this argument is becoming more interesting than the matches themselves, I will go down there 2moro just to see that outcome alone never mind the matches.

It does begs the question, wonder what you think your would be the majoriyty verdict in your Locals if there was only one choice between two prospectively excellent matches, the hurling or football?  (Leave County prejudices to one side for the moment please)

didlyi

Any decent sportman and in particular Gaa fan would be disappointed not to be able to see both games. My personal view is that there will be more hype than quality in croker but more quality than hype in thurles so Ill be watchin the hurling live and recording the footie for later viewing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Football - absolutely no doubt about it. Fair enough, hurlings a good game but personally it just doesn't compare to football for me. But then thats just my opinion and different opinions is the beauty of sport. I've a feeling the viewing figures will show a strong preference for the football tomorrow.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

didlyi

Im afraid that the only thing the viewing figures will prove is that the population of Dublin/Meath is far greater than Cork/Waterford.

J70

Football, no question!

Donegal just isn't a hurling county. I rarely watch the game myself. Half the time I can't see the bloody sliotar!

Cloc Mor

You would have to be a diehard hurling man to pick Cork V Waterford over Dublin V Meath.  As some have said, the hype over the Dublin/Meath game will attract some support but by and large the football will come out on top (in Sunday Game also).

Donagh

Cork v Waterford or Dublin v Meath, Munster Hurling or Leinster football. Can't believe it's even being discussed though coming from a place that looked at me as though I had horns on Paddy's Day when I asked for the club final to be put on instead of the soccer, I'm not surprised.

Da hurling is the main event tomorrow and if it's anything like tonight's we're in for a treat.

J70

Quote from: Donagh on June 16, 2007, 10:55:08 PM
Cork v Waterford or Dublin v Meath, Munster Hurling or Leinster football. Can't believe it's even being discussed though coming from a place that looked at me as though I had horns on Paddy's Day when I asked for the club final to be put on instead of the soccer, I'm not surprised.

Da hurling is the main event tomorrow and if it's anything like tonight's we're in for a treat.

Typical hurling snobbery!

In the Onion Bag

Boys-a-Dear. 
Seems like I've opened a hornets nest as big as in the Parador 2nite. 

Never mind the viewing figures, they only represent vulgar popularity.  Its what true interested Gaels on this boeard think that matters and the proof is in the eating.  The real question must be which game will you be watching 2moro?

I will be watching the footie (but keeping a v.keen interest in the hurley at the same time).  What will the rest of ye be watching?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: didlyi on June 16, 2007, 10:06:37 PM
Any decent sportman and in particular Gaa fan would be disappointed not to be able to see both games. My personal view is that there will be more hype than quality in croker but more quality than hype in thurles so Ill be watchin the hurling live and recording the footie for later viewing.

Yeah well put.  I love Gaelic Football, but will be watching the Hurling tomorrow, mind you its an easy decision for me, sure if the Kilkenny/Offaly hurling match happened to be on the same time as Dublin/Meath I'd still pick the hurling.  Either way its a great day for the GAA as both the two MAIN Irish TV channels will both be showing Gaelic Games, thats all thats important here.

neilthemac

it would be the hurling for me, except the f**king Connacht council are denying us the chance to see anything on tv tomorrow because of the throw in time in Dr Hyde Park

football can be very poor for periods of the game. hurling is just class

Hardy

TacadoirArdMhacha

foot.ie - Its a website where they discuss what the esteemed Brendan Teirney refers to as "ground ball" within this fair island of ours.

darbyo

I'll be at the hurling match but if I was watching on TV it would be the football, however I hate the fact that some GAA people seem to be one or the other, I'm a GAA man and both sports are my sport, why some GAA people are anti one of the sports is a mystery to me.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Darbyo, to be fair I don't there are that many football people who are anti-hurling, or hurling people that are anti-football. Of course there might be the odd bit of rivalry in dual counties but thats only people wanting the best for their sport. Football's my favourite code and to be honest, hurling wouldn't even be my second favourite sport but that doesn't mean I don't respect its place in the GAA or appreciate it as a great spectacle.