Brawl Before Cork Clare Game

Started by agorm, May 28, 2007, 08:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 28, 2007, 01:51:12 PM

However I am sure Frank Murphy will exposes some loophole in the book cos the game hadn't commenced.

Colin Lynch would of needed the holy trinity in his corner rather than in the stands back in 98 when he got his stint for lashing a Waterford lad prior to the throw in. He got three months if my memory serves me correctly.

Timmy may disgree with me, but as Cork were involved, it'll be brushed under the carpet. If it had been say Limerick and Clare there would be wholesale suspensions and fines. The Corks and Kilkenny's of the world seem to operate under a different set of rules than the rest of us.

didlyi

If anyone except the GAA themselves are blamed for this then the GAA will be just bowing to the media hype on this matter. Letting two psyched up teams leave their dessing rooms to meet in the tunnell outside is simply asking for trouble and the officilas at thurles should have dealt with this. The kind of scenes that resulted were typical fracas that break out regularly on big days on the fileld and no one gets the line. The problem here was they were allowed to meet earlier than usuall and please do not compare this with what happens in soccer matches as one would not be comparing like with like.
The game itself was a clean game and could have done with a bot more spice infact......and for the record, this site is for northern folk interest and others whos only interest in gaa, let alone hurling, is braging about their countys greatness. The thread on antrim hurling has more posts than all the other hurling threads put together...thats says it all. Please visit an fear rua,rebelgaa.com etc etc if you want a proper discussion on the small ball down south.

Hardy

Diddlyi, why is it OK for two sets of players to set about each other, whether it's before, during or after the game? Is it just media hype to suggest that this is unacceptable? Does this apply to hurling only or to football as well? Is it a long-cherished GAA tradition that must be nurtured and preserved? How is it an official's fault if a Cork player jabs his stick into the ribs of a Clare player, or vice versa? I don't understand that. And, as I brought up before, how is it different to a gang of lads fighting outside Supermac's on a Saturday night?

aontroim abu

Didlyi less of the patronising.
its that attitude where us hurling folk up north are looked down upon by the high and mighty which has the game in the state its in.
as John Crossey once said "just cause they talk with a Free State accent doesnt give them a right to win an all-ireland"

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: turk on May 28, 2007, 12:23:38 PM
Who will think of the children!!

I think if you were a young lad on the pitch and these lads came out dunting and banging each other it would be mighty!! It would be one of the best things ever!!

Whether that's an indictment of society or not is another thing
Personally, if I was a youngster in the guard of honour, I would have been thrilled to see all this carry on. 
I think the difference between dunting and striking should be clarified in the Rule Books. Jabbing with the butt should not incur the 3 month striking suspension.
The players should be fined a week's wages and warned about their future conduct.

didlyi

Quote from: aontroim abu on May 28, 2007, 04:51:56 PM
its that attitude where us hurling folk up north are looked down upon by the high and mighty which has the game in the state its in.
as John Crossey once said "just cause they talk with a Free State accent doesnt give them a right to win an all-ireland"

A ABU,

I was in no way slagin the antrim hurling contributors on this site. I would love nothing more than to see antrim or any other nothern team win an allireland hurling final, my point is that there are others on here who know nothing about hurling but feel that they can make judgement on the way the game has been played for decades. The rules of hurling do not need adjusting!

orangeman

I loved the brawl before the game - it was pure class - it's what hurling is all about - it's what Sundays in May through September are all about - Its about being Irish - It's about being a man - you just can't beat letting it all out - and the funniest part is about putting your arms around your opponent at the end of the match and shaking hands - ITS PURE CLASS !!!!!!

dublinfella

Quote from: didlyi on May 28, 2007, 09:24:08 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on May 28, 2007, 04:51:56 PM

A ABU,

I was in no way slagin the antrim hurling contributors on this site. I would love nothing more than to see antrim or any other nothern team win an allireland hurling final, my point is that there are others on here who know nothing about hurling but feel that they can make judgement on the way the game has been played for decades. The rules of hurling do not need adjusting!

no, they need enforcing.

Declan

GAA propose suspensions for Thurles scuffle 

The GAA have confirmed that the CCCC have proposed suspensions on a number of players from the Cork and Clare teams arising out of incidents in Sunday's Guinness Munster Hurling Championship first round game in Semple Stadium, Thurles.

It was also confirmed that fines have been proposed to both County Boards in relation to these incidents. The parties involved now have the right to seek a hearing (through the Central Hearing's Committee) if they do not accept the penalties imposed. No further information can be given at this point as the Disciplinary process is ongoing.

It was also confirmed that in relation to the Leinster Hurling Championship first round game between Laois and Offaly, the CCCC are not in a position to take any further disciplinary action in relation to incidents before the start of the game, as the Referee dealt with the situation at the time by issuing yellow cards.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2007, 11:29:47 PM
I loved the brawl before the game - it was pure class - it's what hurling is all about - it's what Sundays in May through September are all about - Its about being Irish - It's about being a man - you just can't beat letting it all out - and the funniest part is about putting your arms around your opponent at the end of the match and shaking hands - ITS PURE CLASS !!!!!!

Isn't that exactly what the Aussies did in the Compromise Rules and look at the whinging we did... ::)

timmykelleher

Well Johnney, you were right. I do disagree with you.

It looks like Cork are going to have a goal keeper, full back and wing back all suspended for a Munster semi-final with the league champions.
While Clare will be missing players for a humdinger against Laois or Antrim.

To me this seems that the Cork's and Kilkeny's are being treated more severely than the Clare's and Limericks.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

johnneycool

Quote from: timmykelleher on May 30, 2007, 11:32:52 AM

It looks like Cork are going to have a goal keeper, full back and wing back all suspended for a Munster semi-final with the league champions.

To me this seems that the Cork's and Kilkeny's are being treated more severely than the Clare's and Limericks.

How do you make out that Cork are being treated more harshly in this instance? If the players involved are guilty they deserve what is coming to them. It's just bad luck that they'll miss a more important game than a few round robin games like whatever Clare lads are involved.

I'll still be surprised if the suspensions (3 months :)  ) are doled out and stick for their duration .Frank could be racking up a fair bit of travelling expenses over the next few weeks.

TBT

Quote from: timmykelleher on May 30, 2007, 11:32:52 AM

You caN ADD a corner back to that list. I'd be slcw to add KK to any list about being treated severely.
Just after backing Cork to win the All Ire.

agorm

While I can see the point I do not agree with using the fact that the referee had already issued yellows to be a justification not to implement suspensions in the Laois Offaly game. If the actions warranted suspensions then the suspensions should be imposed. It could be due to all the legal stuff associated with GAA suspensions in recent years. Just because a referee does not see an incident properly or chickens out of a decision should not allow players to get away with this behaviour.
Parents of young children are watching this and they are the ones that generally dictate the sports that a kid plays - I know of situations in which parents make choices other than hurling for their kids because of this random violence.
Hitting an opponent with the hurley is more common in club hurling than county and I must say I have watched games in which this has been going and I have asked myself am I doing my son a disservice by cajoling and encouraging him continually to play and practice hurling. As a game played properly it is definitely the best.

bottlethrower7

If the rumours are true, then its seriously bad form by the GAA and they should expect some backlash. At most the instigators of the row should be punished. Once something kicks off, of course others are going to get involved. Not condoning what happened or anything like it, but of course lads are going to hop in. It is a team game after all and team mates have each other's backs. Anyone thats ever played the game has been there.

From the names being bandied about it seems anyone that had their picture in the paper, or were highlighted by the Sunday Game, is in contention for a ban. If these 8 players are suspended, it is an absolute discgrace, and will be nothing more than the GAA pandering to the media outcry over something that doesn't concern them.

Its time for the GAA to be strong and to see reason. 1 ban max per team. Preferably none at all and a ban would be enough in my book.

If its a case of sending out a message, it would be unfair to pick on Cork and Clare, at least without a warning.