Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 23, 2016, 08:28:14 AM
Even from a Tyrone point of view I was strangely disappointed in the Derry performance yesterday.
I went to the game looking forward to a hard fought championship encounter in the charged atmosphere of Celtic part, but in truth the game was over as a contest after 20 minutes and completely out of sight at half time.
Derry actually had  huge amount of possession, but if was so slow and laboured in the build up it was never even going to put a dent in the Tyrone defensive line. They were relying on the likes of Lynch and Kielt kicking wonder scores from distance to keep in touch and over the course of 70 minutes that was never really going to be sustainable. Compared to the speed to the Tyrone counter attacks, Derry looked like a team with absolutely no pace in it anywhere on the field.

There were a  few niggly incidents, but nothing out of the ordinary for a championship game and I thought Coldrick dealt with it well over all. I don't think there can be too many complaints about either sending off.

Even though it was a good team performance, its difficult to pick out and real star performers for Tyrone.
Obviously Ronan O'Niells 2-2 in the first half effectively ended the game, he was very very quiet in the second half.
Mattie Donnelly and Colm Cavanagh put in solid shifts around the middle and a few of the new guys like Sludden, Richie Donnelly & McShane all did themselves no harm at all.
The most impressive thing about Tyrone was how organised they were and how disciplined they where in the tackle.
Derry could have played till next week and still not got a goal against that Tyrone side set up like that.

Thought the same too. There was no one to really show something exceptional yesterday. O'Neills 2-2 stands out and probably merited the MOTM on that alone.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bogball88

Quote from: ONeill on May 22, 2016, 11:36:19 PM
Hard to believe the Cavanagh shimmy is still successful, 13 years on.

Just seeing it now - tetchy interview before the game by Barton. Not sure what his motivational spakes would be like.

Bit of singing in the crowd too. Long time since that was heard.

The Castlederg boys were on the banter juice early!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 22, 2016, 10:16:20 PM
Mark Lynch waving an imaginary yellow card was disgraceful too.

How did you know it was yellow?
Hasta la victoria siempre

twohands!!!

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 23, 2016, 09:36:48 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 22, 2016, 10:16:20 PM
Mark Lynch waving an imaginary yellow card was disgraceful too.

How did you know it was yellow?

I lol'ed

Good point.

Would waving an imaginary red or black by any better (or worse) ?

Estimator

Yesterday's senior game was an absolute embarrassment to all involved for Derry.  It was a contest for about 18mins.  Derry seemed to get over the first goal and had brought themselves back into the game, but no lessons were learned. Once the second goal went in the game was over as a contest and the third goal just put the tin hat on the whole thing. 

The naivety that Derry showed in both defence and attack was shocking. Leaving defenders isolated one on one in acres of space is not something that happens any more in Junior club games let alone Senior Inter-county matches.  Carrying the ball forward slowly to the opposition 45 and handpassing the ball across and back and forwards is something that Derry have done for the last 6/7 years without any success and yet nothing changes. 

There was no quick interchange from defence to attack. Everything was done slowly.  Contrast that with Tyrone and the sharpness and speed of thought and attack was unreal. Example was a sideline ball (stand side) with about 10mins to go.  Two Tyrone men and One Derry man scrapping for the ball and the moment it went over the line, the ball was picked up and immediately transferred 40 yards down the pitch to a runner who was already away on the attack.  If it happened the other way, a Derry man would have picked up the ball, looked around, wait on a another player who would saunter over to the sideline to take the kick, he would then wait another 30 seconds so that Tyrone could get themselves organised before hitting an aimless high ball into the arms of a waiting Tyrone player.

Derry didn't even give Coldrick that much to do. Both the red cards were justified. I thought Tyrone got their frees handier going into contact, in the first half, but that is experience and knowledge.

I thought Tyrone would really go at it in the second half to really destroy this Derry side, which is what the Dubs would have done, but they didn't and the second have strangely finished 6points apiece. Tyrone will have learned absolutely nothing from the game.  This will give them no real prep for the future (playing top teams). Even the semi-final will be against a team that played Div 2 this year.

Not sure what was going on with Lynch and the imaginary card, not something that anyone wants to see.  Similarly, Cavanagh's actions when he was hit by McKaigue were unnecessary.  Cavanagh Jr probably was lucky to escape a booking after his initial challenge, before the incident, as he had committed an equally cynical foul about 5mins before that.

Where to now for Derry? There will be a number of people who would love nothing more than a tough qualifier draw and for Derry to disappear for the rest of the year, so that club football can take over. But there will be others within the county that will be hoping for progress through the qualifiers, I don't know which one would be better in the long run.
Ulster League Champions 2009

omagh_gael

Hugely disappointed by Derry's impotent challenge yesterday. After the minor game I got a feeling in the pit of my stomach that we were going to wobble and lose a tight, hard-hitting slugfest. As we now know, it turned into the most facile win I can ever remember (revenge for '97?) Do any of you Derry lads have the inside scoop from the Derry camp? Surely things aren't good if the team's fight is that poor, and that's not even factoring in the four defeats already this season. Is there faith in Barton?

The game itself came down to three simple things; organisation, speed and fitness. The movement up the pitch when we won possession was a sight to behold and when possession was turned over, the commitment and organisation to get back in place, defensively, was superb. As the post match analysis pointed out (can't remember if it was on BBC or RTE) you could clearly hear 'set-up' be roared out by the defenders and without fail the screen was in place around the '45. Now this system isn't rocket science but what makes it more effective and easier on the eye compared to that borefest in Croke park on Saturday is the speed we break out at and the fitness levels to maintain this for the duration of the 70 minutes. This system stalled on us 3-4 years ago as we didn't have the players/age profile/fitness levels to operate it at the breakneck speed required but the injection of youth and increased awareness amongst the younger lads appears to be really reaping dividends.

Now I am not saying we are genuine AI contenders just yet but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we could make another AI semi and after that, who knows?

I didn't get a programme yesterday but I'd be interested in working out our average age and how that compares to other sides in the top 8, my best guess for us would be...

Mickey O'Neill 26 (could be way off here)
McCrory 29
McNamee 24
McCarron 28
McCann  22
Sludden  22
Harte 24
C Cavanagh 29
M Donnelly 24
McShane 21
Bradley 22
R Donnelly 22
McAliskey 25
S Cavanagh 33
O'Neill 24

Subs

McCury 24
McNulty 23
Munroe 22
McGeary 22
Hampsey 22

Open to correction here (could all be wrong!) but that would leave an approx. average for all 14 outfield players at just below 25 and all five subs had an average age of approx. 22.5. Not a bad profile at all.

Well done to all the lads and great to see young Ronan bagging 2-02. If we can get him as prolific as his minor days we really could have a FF line to do damage later in the year.

sambostar

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 22, 2016, 04:39:12 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 22, 2016, 03:45:15 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 22, 2016, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 22, 2016, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 22, 2016, 03:10:19 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 22, 2016, 03:08:47 PM
Hate saying it but Tyrone are serious contenders for this years AI title.

Based on?

Based on the last 12 months, from what I've seen myself and with the addition of a number of young players. I can see a Dublin v Tyrone AI final, for me they are Dublins main rivals this year.

Question - who have Tyrone beaten to be installed as Dublin's main rivals?

Is there anyone in there who are even among the dark horses for the championship?
(Monaghan who Tyrone beat last year at currently 40/1 shots)

Considering they played in div 2 it's not real a relevant question. Using last years AI semi final against Kerry as a yardstick there wasn't much between the 2 sides and Kerry are an ageing team whilst Tyrone are a young improving team.

Have Tyrone beaten Donegal, Cork, Kerry, Mayo or Dublin in the last 12 months? Where is the case for being so very over optimistic? Do you rate the teams in Division Two that much? Do you rate beating Derry by so much an accomplishment? Look Tyrone will be a handful for who ever they meet. But one day at a time before you talk of AI contenders.
Tyrone beat Mayo away in Div1 just over 12 months ago, they also drew with Kerry & Dublin & should have beat the Dubs but for a late fisted goal. They were level with Kerry in the AI semi-final with 10mins to go & had the chances to have won that game. They have been in 2 AI semi's in the last 3 years. Unlike Mayo if they do reach a final they know how to win. They are AI contenders

bogball88

Mark Lynch looked very sluggish I thought yesterday. No doubting his strength and ability to kick points, but I though he struggled to get up and down the pitch yesterday. Was he carrying an injury?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 23, 2016, 10:19:31 AM
Hugely disappointed by Derry's impotent challenge yesterday. After the minor game I got a feeling in the pit of my stomach that we were going to wobble and lose a tight, hard-hitting slugfest. As we now know, it turned into the most facile win I can ever remember (revenge for '97?) Do any of you Derry lads have the inside scoop from the Derry camp? Surely things aren't good if the team's fight is that poor, and that's not even factoring in the four defeats already this season. Is there faith in Barton?

The game itself came down to three simple things; organisation, speed and fitness. The movement up the pitch when we won possession was a sight to behold and when possession was turned over, the commitment and organisation to get back in place, defensively, was superb. As the post match analysis pointed out (can't remember if it was on BBC or RTE) you could clearly hear 'set-up' be roared out by the defenders and without fail the screen was in place around the '45. Now this system isn't rocket science but what makes it more effective and easier on the eye compared to that borefest in Croke park on Saturday is the speed we break out at and the fitness levels to maintain this for the duration of the 70 minutes. This system stalled on us 3-4 years ago as we didn't have the players/age profile/fitness levels to operate it at the breakneck speed required but the injection of youth and increased awareness amongst the younger lads appears to be really reaping dividends.

Now I am not saying we are genuine AI contenders just yet but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we could make another AI semi and after that, who knows?

I didn't get a programme yesterday but I'd be interested in working out our average age and how that compares to other sides in the top 8, my best guess for us would be...

McCrory 29
McNamee 24
McCarron 28
McCann  22
Sludden  22
Harte 24
C Cavanagh 29
M Donnelly 24
McShane 21
Bradley 22
R Donnelly 22
McAliskey 25
S Cavanagh 33
O'Neill 24

Subs

McCury 24
McNulty 23
Munroe 22
McGeary 22
Hampsey 22

Open to correction here (could all be wrong!) but that would leave an approx. average for all 14 outfield players at just below 25 and all five subs had an average age of approx. 22.5. Not a bad profile at all.

Well done to all the lads and great to see young Ronan bagging 2-02. If we can get him as prolific as his minor days we really could have a FF line to do damage later in the year.

McCann/McNamee/McAliskey/Tierney/Morgan/Monroe were all minor in 09 so would turn 25 year
Harte/M Donnelly/McNabb McKenna were all minor in 08 so would be 26 this year.
R O'Neill/Sludden/McNulty/Clarke/HP McGeary/R Donnelly were all minor on 2010 so would be 24 this year.
McCurry and C McCann were minor in 2011 so would be 23 this year
K McGeary, Hampsey,  R Brennan, Bradley and Meyler are all 22 this year

Bonkers09

McCrory 29
McNamee 24
McCarron 28
McCann  22
Sludden  22
Harte 24
C Cavanagh 29
M Donnelly 24
McShane 21
Bradley 22
R Donnelly 22
McAliskey 25
S Cavanagh 33
O'Neill 24

Subs

McCury 24
McNulty 23
Munroe 22
McGeary 22
Hampsey 22

[/quote]
Mickey O'Neill 27 (could be way off here)
McCrory 28
McNamee 24
McCarron 28
McCann  24
Sludden  24
Harte 25
C Cavanagh 28
M Donnelly 25
McShane 20
Bradley 22
R Donnelly 23
McAliskey 24
S Cavanagh 33
O'Neill 23

Subs

McCury 23
McNulty 24
Munroe 22
McGeary 22
Hampsey 22

As of 22/5, that is the age profile of the squad according to tyronegaa.ie

omagh_gael

Cheers lads, was a bit awry there on most, although the average age only increases by about 0.8 of a year.

Fuzzman

I thought Tyrone started very sluggishly yesterday and almost seemed like they were purposely sitting back inviting Derry onto them to frustrate their attacks.
Derry seemed to be using the tactic of shooting from far out and it was working well I thought for the first 15 mins or so. However, the killer was the goals and in previous years Tyrone would struggle to score goals. After 19 mins the score was 2.04 to 0.5 and not many of us would have expected Ronan O'Neill to score 2 goals against Karl McKaigue.

The Tyrone system is very similar to what Donegal used to do but perhaps with even more pace and less dependance on any one or two forwards. If you've not been at a Tyrone game recently in the flesh you will probably underestimate how hard it is to play against them. Frustrating the other team is a huge part of their gameplan as they get 14 men often inside their own half and invite you to bring the ball into the congested space. Then they eventually strip the ball from a player who takes too long to control it or a wayward pass. Then they break at huge speed into the massive gaps the other team has left as you saw by the first goal yesterday where Richie Donnelly was the one to get the initial turnover I think but it was also him who hit the long pass into O'Neill's hands and his dummy and finish showed excellent composure.

As a few have said on here it was hard to pick a man of the match and I often found that last year as well. It's total team behaviour and you can even see that with how often players won't bending down to pick the ball up as they knew it would slow things down but they'd chip it backwards to a player standing waiting for a pass.
Pundits also talk about how much our half back line push forward and join in the attacks but I think its a lot more than that. Often you'd see Peter Harte playing in the FF line and being the target man and how often does McRory and McCarron find themselves in very advanced positions. Each time however they know there is cover for them if the move breaks down.
Some may say Derry looked very poor yesterday and they did from the 20th min on but it so demoralising playing against 13/14 men behind the ball trying to be patient for a whole to appear and then suddenly the ball is in your own net.

I didn't see the Peter Donnelly incident but if that's true then it's very disappointing. As you would expect there were a few wee incidents during the game, most of which coming out of Derry's frustration. I was surprised at Chrissy McKaigue's pleading of innocence having swung his elbow into Colm's face. People don't seem happy when a player reacts to being hit. What should Colm have done. Held his face? Went down? Retaliated and also got sent off or to complain to the linesman and ref.

Why was Lynch looking for a card to be issued? Who was the culprit and what did he do? It's not nice to see alright but is it not better than rolling around holding your face or taking the law into your own hands? I don't know which is worse.
I thought the Derry No 7 was lucky a few times not to get a card. Wasn't it him who went in with his knee to McCarron on the sideline.

Barton looks to be a bit of a fool who doesn't really know what to do. His interviews are peculiar how he stands and doesn't look at the camera or the interviewer.

Interesting about the age of the players and how Sean is the only one over 30. Is Justy near 30 yet?
Don't forget the two Brennan's who we expect a lot from this year and Sludden looks to have really came on a lot.

blewuporstuffed

The Lynch incident was after a high challenge from Richie Donnelly, which he did get a yellow card for.
Its a terrible thing to see creeping into the game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omagh_gael

Good summary Fuzzman. Ronan O'Neill's goal was a fantastic move, you're right in your memory. It was Ritchie who stripped the ball and when it hit the ground he chipped it soccer style onto Bradley who took off engaged the Derry man and passed out to McShane. Ritchie burst a gut catching up, took a pass off McShane a put a beauty of a ball into Ronan. It was a fantastic pass as it clearly wasn't a hit and hope in the general direction of Ronan. The side bounce/step was perfect, even better that it caused the two Derry men to hit the dirt!

Mugsy summed it up well in a tweet last night:

Just watched over the highlights from the Tyrone/Derry game. Ronan Oneill's goal was some piece of skill. Very fast thinking & a top finish

Justy would be 30 alright, he played in underage teams a level below Joe who is 32.

seafoid

Tyrone might beat Monaghan in the QFs but they won't beat Mayo in the semi.  And they aren't as good as the Dubs or Kerry . Yet

PP have Mayo at 11/2 and Tyrone at 9/1 for Sam
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/all-ireland-sfc?ev_oc_grp_ids=478626